Screwing items into the bottom of a pop top bed/base

Bluey22

Hi, (first post alert :) )

Any insight into how suitable the pop top bed is for being screwed into (no pun intended). It already has grab handles screwed onto the bottom, and I’m wondering if I can screw additional items into/onto the bottom. Nothing substantial but maybe a mount for an iPad.

Thanks all.

Hi, (

Any insight into how suitable the pop top bed is for being screwed into (no pun intended). It already has grab handles screwed onto the bottom, and I’m wondering if I can screw additional items into/onto the bottom. Nothing substantial but maybe a mount for an iPad.

Thanks all.
Mine is 15mm poplar plywood, so yes, lightweight items can be screwed to it. Alternatively for a chunkier item you could use some coach bolts through from the top.

Thanks all.
Understood that the "screwed into" is not a pun.... but your pop top bed has grab handles?

Thanks all.
Do you know which roof it is and therefore which bed? They are normally ply wood so yo can screw into without problem. What are you attaching to the bed?

Don't go driving screws until everything is confirmed. Measure twice, cut once...
Are you looking to mount the iPad to the pop top roof or the bottom of the pop top bed? Can you add a pic and highlight where you are looking to mount it?

Remember you’ll probably have the van longer than the IPad so long after it’s gone you’ll be looking at some brackets or screw holes with no purpose.
I’m an ex seafarer, on a 20 year old ship it’s amazing how many ‘good ideas’ crew have had when it comes to customising their cabins!
HD Velcro is usually the best solution.

Don't go driving screws until everything is confirmed. Measure twice, cut once...
Are you looking to mount the iPad to the pop top roof or the bottom of the pop top bed? Can you add a pic and highlight where you are looking to mount it?
Hi Paddy, thanks for the response. The bottom of the pop top bed, so that an iPad mount can be used.

The bed is 18mm ply and then carpeted.

Do you know which roof it is and therefore which bed? They are normally ply wood so yo can screw into without problem. What are you attaching to the bed?
DA3BD662-E7A2-41F1-B068-33AACA939E12.jpeg

Remember you’ll probably have the van longer than the IPad so long after it’s gone you’ll be looking at some brackets or screw holes with no purpose.
I’m an ex seafarer, on a 20 year old ship it’s amazing how many ‘good ideas’ crew have had when it comes to customising their cabins!
HD Velcro is usually the best solution.
Sound, solid advice!

I've got one of these ROKK items with a fixing point on both the underside of my bed-board (see image below) and the top of my sliding bed-board cabin cover...

ROKK Mini Universal Tablet Mount Kit with screw down base - Mobile / Media Accessories - Transporter HQ

1673273559813.png

...with the idea being, I can attach the bracket for my tablet either down below or up top. The image above shows the fixing point 'recessed' in the cushioned bed-board, cos like @DXX says, you'll be surprised (not) at how many times you'll bang your head on everything in the van ;)

I've also got a suction-cup for the same bracket so that it can be used outside of the van:

1673273904741.png

Not a cheap bit of kit (I seem to use that phrase a lot when it comes to my T6 money-pit)...but it's very handy

I've got one of these ROKK items with a fixing point on both the underside of my bed-board (see image below) and the top of my sliding bed-board cabin cover...

ROKK Mini Universal Tablet Mount Kit with screw down base - Mobile / Media Accessories - Transporter HQ

View attachment 184537

...with the idea being, I can attach the bracket for my tablet either down below or up top. The image above shows the fixing point 'recessed' in the cushioned bed-board, cos like @DXX says, you'll be surprised (not) at how many times you'll bang your head on everything in the van ;)

I've also got a suction-cup for the same bracket so that it can be used outside of the van:

View attachment 184538

Not a cheap bit of kit (I seem to use that phrase a lot when it comes to my T6 money-pit)...but it's very handy
This is exactly the setup I was thinking of.

You can screw into it no problem. Perhaps use a threaded insert from the backside (under matress) and then machine screws for whatever you are screwing to the bed. You can then remove at a later date and just leave the threads showing, ruffle carpet and you will probably never notice. :thumbsup:

Back