LWB - Which Conversion?

Callum939

Hi everyone - brand new so apologies if any of these have been answered somewhere already.

I've just sold my first VW Camper - a very cheap SWB conversion on a T5.1. Basically decided that we love it and having had our big trip cancelled this summer thought now is the time to sell and get the van we want for the next 10-15 years. I've found a LWB highline panel van with 37,000 miles and want to get it converted.

Questions:
1) Beds. I am already sure I want a RIB with ISOFIX for safety as I have a 2-year old who would be in the back. Variotech sliding or standard fixed RIB? Any thoughts?
2) Which pop top - I'm leaning towards austop as this will be our only car/van and being under 2m is a massive plus.
3) 2-seater rib or 3-seater 130cm with slimmer cupboards? I've looked at the options on 8ball just to see the two options and am stuck between the two
4) Which converter in the UK - I've been conversing with Dirty Weekenders in Worcester at the moment but having been in twice and told it would be around £18,000 plus VAT they then sent me a quote for £25,000 for the full Reimo Trio Style conversion - way more than I want (or can afford to) spend.
5) I've been wondering about the Variotech sliding system in the LWB (don't know what widths they do) and whether this is worth the additional money.
6) Any advice for LWB would-be converter - I feel I have a good sense of what I want having had the cheapest possible conversion up to this point but want to get it right first time.

I've just had Reimo Variotech full width with isofix installed and it was very expensive but i think it was worth it in the end. I really love it tbh. Can move bed / chairs and then load bikes etc in the rear and have the seats close to the front seats should you need to help your child with anything on a journey. Any questions just ask. Im in cardiff if you wanted a demo and your close.

Thanks for the info! So you don’t have any furniture down the side or anything? My concern would be losing storage under the bed if we went for the slightly wider seats. Can you prop up either end of the bed like the normal RIB ones?

mine is full width but storage has been built under the bed which moves when the bed is moved which is handy I am not sure what you mean prop up either end ??

Reimo Variotech 3000 on power rails to get all of the travelling positions.
Ours is brilliant 1205 width, leaves room for furniture down the side but maybe not a 50l fridge if you have a twin slider like mine.
You can get a narrower Reimo but its a two seater, TBH the three seat belts on the 1205 are optimistic for adults.
The big reason for the Reimo over the RIB if you want a sliding set up is the seat height. On the RIB your feet will dangle in the air and your head will touch the roof, especially if you have a rising roof.
If you can, try sitting in examples of both and imagine doing a long journey without your feet on the floor or on box lashed up as a foot rest.

mine is full width but storage has been built under the bed which moves when the bed is moved which is handy I am not sure what you mean prop up either end ??
Sorry, should have explained clearly - the RIB beds you can lock each end in an upright position - this is great if you have a baby because you can lie them in the middle third with either end raised at an angle to keep them enclosed. Don’t know if you can do this with the variotech ones. Hope that makes sense - difficult to explain!

Sorry, should have explained clearly - the RIB beds you can lock each end in an upright position - this is great if you have a baby because you can lie them in the middle third with either end raised at an angle to keep them enclosed. Don’t know if you can do this with the variotech ones. Hope that makes sense - difficult to explain!
nar don't think you can do this but i stand to be corrected, only used it about 5 times now

The Reimo backrest is one fixed position not adjustable. Flips over and flat bed is on the reverse

4) Which converter in the UK - I've been conversing with Dirty Weekenders in Worcester at the moment but having been in twice and told it would be around £18,000 plus VAT they then sent me a quote for £25,000 for the full Reimo Trio Style conversion - way more than I want (or can afford to) spend.

Had a similar experience with them
1st visit to see them and discus what set up, they then sent me a quotation which I accepted went down 2nd time to go through everything before the start of the conversion only to be told that they had made a mistake on the quotation and had priced all the materials at there cost price (?) and then increased the price by over £5,000.00 sent them an email a few day later to say I was disappointed and asking if they could do any better, they didn't bother getting back to me. Wasted 2 days and 680 miles (2 trips) rant over

Questions:
1) Reimo Variotech on bonded power rails. The best seat system full stop, not cheap though
2) Which pop top - Jerba Campervans. Ventile fabric less than 2m height, 100kg rails and a proper bed up top.
3) Reimo, no one ever moaned their bed was too wide!
4) Which converter in the UK - Why use one? I got the seat fitted at Westward Leisure and the roof fitted at Jerba. Learned loads on here about soundproofing, electrics and swivels etc and did a lot myself. Very satisfying doing your own thing.
5) I've been wondering about the Variotech sliding system in the LWB (don't know what widths they do) and whether this is worth the additional money. Absolutely worth it, no question
6) Any advice. Make it the van you want to suit your needs and not a ‘brand’ van off the peg. Practicality beats shiny style all day long in a camper:thumbsup:

Had a similar experience with them
1st visit to see them and discus what set up, they then sent me a quotation which I accepted went down 2nd time to go through everything before the start of the conversion only to be told that they had made a mistake on the quotation and had priced all the materials at there cost price (?) and then increased the price by over £5,000.00 sent them an email a few day later to say I was disappointed and asking if they could do any better, they didn't bother getting back to me. Wasted 2 days and 680 miles (2 trips) rant over
I think that is their tactic - hope you're so far along the road that you'll just pay. They weren't banking on me literally not having the extra money though were they!

Reimo Variotech 3000 on power rails to get all of the travelling positions.
Ours is brilliant 1205 width, leaves room for furniture down the side but maybe not a 50l fridge if you have a twin slider like mine.
You can get a narrower Reimo but its a two seater, TBH the three seat belts on the 1205 are optimistic for adults.
The big reason for the Reimo over the RIB if you want a sliding set up is the seat height. On the RIB your feet will dangle in the air and your head will touch the roof, especially if you have a rising roof.
If you can, try sitting in examples of both and imagine doing a long journey without your feet on the floor or on box lashed up as a foot rest.
Hi, we've got a T5 Kombi to convert and are looking at the various choice of seats/beds to place in the rear. We need a bit of 'boot space' for a dog so the flexibility of rails looks like a good option. We're considering either the Smartbeds Evolution R or 1110 Reimo Variotech 333 for 2 persons. The Reimo is a lot more expensive and we'd like to know what is the height from the floor to the front edge of the seat please. We know the RIBs sit quite high which could be an issue for both a short or tall person so have discounted this. Any feedback on either the Smartbeds or Reimo would be gratefully received. Thank you

Hi, we've got a T5 Kombi to convert and are looking at the various choice of seats/beds to place in the rear. We need a bit of 'boot space' for a dog so the flexibility of rails looks like a good option. We're considering either the Smartbeds Evolution R or 1110 Reimo Variotech 333 for 2 persons. The Reimo is a lot more expensive and we'd like to know what is the height from the floor to the front edge of the seat please. We know the RIBs sit quite high which could be an issue for both a short or tall person so have discounted this. Any feedback on either the Smartbeds or Reimo would be gratefully received. Thank you
My Reimo Variotech 3000 is approximately 48cm to the highest point at the front of the seat base. Just behind the knee. This is pretty much the same height as the front passenger seat at about mid adjustment. This is for a LWB with the bonded power rails. The bonded rails have more travelling positions.
Not sure if the 333 is the same height as the 3000 but would definitely recommend the 3000.
B80BF93E-DE3D-4D61-8EF3-9ACCC4B28223.jpeg

My Reimo Variotech 3000 is approximately 48cm to the highest point at the front of the seat base. Just behind the knee. This is pretty much the same height as the front passenger seat at about mid adjustment. This is for a LWB with the bonded power rails. The bonded rails have more travelling positions.
Not sure if the 333 is the same height as the 3000 but would definitely recommend the 3000.
View attachment 80761
Thank you for this information. I forgot to say ours is a SWB T5 Kombi. 48cm sounds OK for the seat height - just have to be mindful of any reduction in cabin height as I'm 6ft5; every mm counts! Does the Reimo come with rails around 1400mm in length like the Smartbed Evo R? If possible, we'd like to have a plain foor in the main cabin area. Decisions, decisions! Thank you

The Reimo rails run the whole length of the floor. One of the reasons I went for the bonded rails is because there are no holes drilled in the floor and therefore no chance of corrosion. My van spends a lot of time next to the sea getting covered in salt spray. The floor does have to be in very good condition to be bonded though and some converters will only do new or nearly new vans.
There are two big stainless steel plates bonded in first then the rails bolt to these and ply floor is bonded in the spaces with the finish floor stuck on top of that.
Headroom depends a lot on the pop top that is fitted but the Reimo is generally OK as the seat base is the right height.
My mate has a RIB on VW rails I am 6’ feet and my feet dangle and my head hits the roof in his van.

We have just been testing out our LWB T6 conversion on various trips after picking back up from the converters a few weeks ago.
8Ball did the conversion and we went for the Rib 130 (wider bed and 3 travel seats).
We looked at the seats / bed option on rails, but we had no real need of sliding seats about, so the extra expense and risk of them becoming rattly eventually meant we just went for a fixed rib.
Van is fantastic, and there is plenty of storage even with the narrowed cupboards.
Whatever you go for there will be compromises.
The only thing we wished we had specced was the Rib seat with the fold out mattress topper (similar to a california bed)
But we have bought one retrospectively for 150 quid from Comfortz Leisure and it definitely makes a difference.
A last minute addition we had was a bbq point fitted and we have used this for a cadac when cooking meat etc outside as it keeps the van from smelling of food and getting splashed with fat.

Discuss your list of wants etc with 8ball they will advise you and even give you a few ideas, but they won't try to rip you off, they'll want you to have the best van you can for your needs and your budget.

View attachment 80761
We are costing up Variotech 3000 on a LWB - trying to work out whether bonded is worth the extra 800 quid or so. Does anyone know how many and where the travelling positions are for the bolted rails?

We used Autohaus in Minehead Somerset. They are a VW Approved converter. Very pleased with them. They listened to what we wanted, were clear about what could and could not be done and priced up honestly with no variation. The work is covered by their 3 year warranty and they have fixed the few problems that have come up with no fuss and very quickly. There is always someone to talk to if something does come up and they can advise how to fix things over the phone. Overall very pleased

Back