Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

Still no progress, the van centre have test driven 3 times with no fail.

Customer care have told me to collect the van. I’ve refused based on no fault found, making a change, nor any explanation. I now asked them to drive it twice a day for two weeks as that’s how long we’ve had the van.

If they had said we think it’s down to stop start / battery condition (would that explain the heater not getting hot?) and therefore we’ve changed the battery just in case - fair enough. Or it might be over zealous Front Assist - fair enough. But saying there’s nothing wrong is making me nervous to drive it again.

It’s not my problem to diagnose, nor come up with potential reasons for cutting out, I just want VW to reassure me with something.

To make things worse, they’ve told me if I don’t collect the van, they’ll off hire the courtesy car, so I’m not insured.

So I’m having to take public transport today, it’s a good job I don’t need to collect 10 sheets of plasterboard...

What is really hacking me off is they insist they’ve done everything they can.
If you have only had it 2 weeks, can you not simply reject the van?

When mine did it, the sales manager refused to even refer the incident to the relevant people, reckoning that it didnt meet certain criteria ( i presume not enough similar complaints brought ot their attention).
So their own system quite cleverly stops them being aware of the extent of the issue.

Reactions: mmi
I don't want to cast any doubt on anyone's driving ability but, I had a new Tiguan 6 speed manual in 2010 and that was always cutting out on roundabouts because the gates on the gear selections are so close together it was very easy to select the wrong gear and stall it on approach, what made it worse is that the Tiggy has an auto hold e-brake handbrake so if you were going slow enough when this happened the handbrake went on. This happened to me 3-4 times in the middle of a roundabout...
As time went on and I got used to the gearbox it stopped happening.

They are independent, so whilst that’s an option, I feel this is VWs issue.

Your contract is with the supplying dealer, so you rejecting the vehicle is dealing with them. They are agents acting on VW's behalf, you as a customer are only entertained by VW as 'goodwill' I would imagine.

To be honest, if you feel it's a common fault that they aren't acknowledging, you need to gather evidence from the many others that feel the same. This should be more than a social media tick to like thing, and involve statements with names etc.

To an outsider looking in, it's simply one word against another until further proof is gathered.

I think HootingOwl and Pauly are spot on with their comments, I will leave the reply from Auto Express below, however I will logging my concerns with the assist team again over the holiday period and I will try to get a reply from the DVSA...

Dear Anthony,

Have you considered contacting the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and reporting this fault? You could also consider lodging a case with the Motor Ombudsman.

Kind regards,

Update for my vehicle. I reached stalemate with VW as I didn’t want the van back without a fix, yet they insisted there was nothing wrong.

So I had to take the van and and we’ve since down 1000 miles without fault.

Personally I think they have done a software update yet refused to admit there was ever a problem as that would be damaging to the brand.

I must say it’s left a bad taste as far as customer services is concerned as to force the customer to have the vehicle back leaving them wondering if it’ll happen again as they did nothing.

Hi I'm new here but I thought I would have a look online to see if anyone else had experienced these same issues I was having with may new vans.

I purchased a transporter edition 150 manual in March 2018 it seemed to have a few issues over the few months before it broke down, one issue in particular was the DPF warning always coming on even when it's been on a good run.

The van broke down on me and had the fault code p62b00. The VW assist technician had never seen it before. This went in to the van centre they had it for a couple of days and said there was no fix for it but we'll let you know when we have a software update. I wasn't happy but had no choice but to keep using my van.

This happened again a few weeks later and I broke down at the bottom of a steep hill on a windy very narrow road, this was potentially dangerous.

I took it back the the van centre and was told we are still waiting for an update but you'll be ok to keep driving it, I said I wasn't having it back until it was fixed as it's not safe to drive, the technicians response was it only happens when you go down hills, so it would wouldn't happen on a motorway for example you'll be ok.

I refused to take the van back and after hours of phone calls and lots of stress and a couple of months in a loan van VW had agreed to replace it for me with a brand same spec van. I received this the 1st week in December. On xmas eve I had VW assist out for my new van, the same fault has happened, still no fix so I'm now going through a second rejection.

As expected I was provided a loan van while they VW arrange a new van, I was told I will not get a replacement and I can have some money back such as my deposit. I am not happy about this but have accepted it and now looking to purchase a 3rd van from a different dealer. In the meantime the loan van I was given has been taken away from me, as they wanted to sell it. I refused to take it back unless they have another loan van I can use. The dealership stated they don't have to provide a loan vehicle, then explained he had cancelled the insurance and if they don't receive it back by Friday they will call the police and report it as missing.

I couldn't believe what was happening. I'm now currently in a hire van which is costing me £50 a day meanwhile the finance company still have another 4 weeks to investigate the case.

I don't really know where to turn next and if anybody knows if VW/The Dealership/VW finance have legally done anything wrong then I may have a case. If anyone has this fault, it may be worth rejecting it if it's within the first 6 months, as you may get a new van on your same finance deal, but you may also get another faulty van.

I hope nobody else has been treated this badly and if they have, potential customers should know what to expect.

Hi I'm new here but I thought I would have a look online to see if anyone else had experienced these same issues I was having with may new vans.

I purchased a transporter edition 150 manual in March 2018 it seemed to have a few issues over the few months before it broke down, one issue in particular was the DPF warning always coming on even when it's been on a good run.

The van broke down on me and had the fault code p62b00. The VW assist technician had never seen it before. This went in to the van centre they had it for a couple of days and said there was no fix for it but we'll let you know when we have a software update. I wasn't happy but had no choice but to keep using my van.

This happened again a few weeks later and I broke down at the bottom of a steep hill on a windy very narrow road, this was potentially dangerous.

I took it back the the van centre and was told we are still waiting for an update but you'll be ok to keep driving it, I said I wasn't having it back until it was fixed as it's not safe to drive, the technicians response was it only happens when you go down hills, so it would wouldn't happen on a motorway for example you'll be ok.

I refused to take the van back and after hours of phone calls and lots of stress and a couple of months in a loan van VW had agreed to replace it for me with a brand same spec van. I received this the 1st week in December. On xmas eve I had VW assist out for my new van, the same fault has happened, still no fix so I'm now going through a second rejection.

As expected I was provided a loan van while they VW arrange a new van, I was told I will not get a replacement and I can have some money back such as my deposit. I am not happy about this but have accepted it and now looking to purchase a 3rd van from a different dealer. In the meantime the loan van I was given has been taken away from me, as they wanted to sell it. I refused to take it back unless they have another loan van I can use. The dealership stated they don't have to provide a loan vehicle, then explained he had cancelled the insurance and if they don't receive it back by Friday they will call the police and report it as missing.

I couldn't believe what was happening. I'm now currently in a hire van which is costing me £50 a day meanwhile the finance company still have another 4 weeks to investigate the case.

I don't really know where to turn next and if anybody knows if VW/The Dealership/VW finance have legally done anything wrong then I may have a case. If anyone has this fault, it may be worth rejecting it if it's within the first 6 months, as you may get a new van on your same finance deal, but you may also get another faulty van.

I hope nobody else has been treated this badly and if they have, potential customers should know what to expect.
Two vans is pretty unlucky, daft question but do you buy fuel from the same place... ?

... I no longer see the temperature of the oil ... despite various attempts (battery disconnection etc ....) the temp is gone from the MFD .... and the diagnosis does not show any error ... a mystery ...

Reactions: mmi
I would take the money and run. You have had the use of the van since march so it is reasonable to expect you to pay something towards the use you have enjoyed. Refunding your deposit and you only footing the monthly repayments seems reasonable. If they have refunded you, then you can't expect a loaner from them.
Short term hire, not daily rental is the way to go until you decide what to do. Maybe buy a T4 to tide you over and sell on when your new van arrives.

Is it a van for work or do you use it for leisure?

Maybe we should run a Lemon List in the VIP section so we can list the vrn's and Vins of lemons handed back to the dealers so that no one else on here buys them?

I found this site due to the fault ( and so glad I did, what a great bunch ) the problem with running a lemon list is you are not helping the people who have the problems, and the people who know nothing about this site will be sold the lemons, and ending up on here asking for advise....

Stumbled on this thread by chance, but I’m glad I did! I’m experiencing exactly the same issue - my van has cut out a few times now, particularly entering roundabouts.

I’ve only had the van since the end of November 2018 and it’s booked in at the end of Feb to get kitted out with a Webasto, leisure battery and insulation / carpet lining.

Don’t want to spend a few grand on getting that done if the van is a lemon!

It’s already been in because I had the engine management light come on.

It’s now booked in for Monday - thanks to reading this thread this morning - to have the cut out issue looked at and the Front Assist, which is is saying ‘unavailable’.

FYI - My van is a T6 Highline Kombi 150 T32 with 4k on the clock.

Will update this thread once the dealership has looked at the van.

Thank you Ian_T6 this backs up my previous comment, and there is without question a problem with certain models cutting out at low revs, which for some reason is being blatantly ignored by the hierarchy, you know the ones who advise you not to listen to people on forums like this.....

I wonder how the motor insurance industry will react, when claims start coming in due to rear end shunts caused by vans cutting out (or worse).

Please keep us updated, and welcome to all the lemons that find this thread or should I say (LEMMINGS)

Back