Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

@TEESIXY Perhaps your van which had the initial problems in this thread was one of the 10 ?

I think the 10 were DSG versions, mine is a manual. Clearly some manuals are affected, but maybe VW only put up their hands re the DSG versions because they left them no wriggle room to suggest that poor driving was the cause ?

I think the 10 were DSG versions, mine is a manual. Clearly some manuals are affected, but maybe VW only put up their hands re the DSG versions because they left them no wriggle room to suggest that poor driving was the cause ?
I agree entirely @TEESIXY as VW has a gained a pretty poor reputation for admitting to tech issues. However, whilst I'm no mechanic, I have learned the art of analysis and, with similar symptoms in both manual and DSG versions and vehicles of similar engine build and age, the probability factor is high that you had the same issue.

After all, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck then it is probably a feckin' duck and not a goose. :whistle:

I have just read this thread and wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

I have a 16 plate shuttle and this has happened to me a number of times whilst going around round abouts. It has certainly left my backside making buttons, especially when the kids as with me.

Not really sure what recourse I have as I bought mine second hand in November, though I suppose it is still under warranty.

@Big Nairn as it is still under warranty you have the same right to rectification as all other owners even though you bought it second user. You MUST report this to VW as it is a life-threatening situation as I commented at the beginning of this thread by @TEESIXY . It seems to have no predictable scenario for its occurrence other than it happens mostly when decelerating and possibly changing down. Failing any other members successfully raising the issue with VW, may I suggest that you PM @TEESIXY for his advice from his experience if he is agreeable.

Interesting thread, I've had this happen a few times but not really thought too much about it. With 'Stop Start' the engine will normally restart when you release and re-depress the clutch so with quick thinking it's not too much of a problem.

It happened to me again yesterday when I pulled into a passing place to let an oncoming vehicle pass, it was slightly down hill at the time. The van certainly did not stall, it just cut out.

My vehicle is a '66 plate LWB Highline Kombi with a 140ps Euro 5 engine (VIN WV1ZZZ7HZGH1189**) does that fit in with others experiencing the same problem?

Rod

Just a wee update... called my local van centre who said that they can't even look at it until 16th April. Just need to wait and see what they say and hope for the best until then.

Hi @Big Nairn. If it happens in the meantime and you are concerned then call VW Assistance, which is included as part of the warranty, the tech will check it out arrange recovery to the dealer and a courtesy vehicle becomes part of the deal. It also records the incident on the system as initially investigated by VW Assistance.

Hope this helps in what is, potentially, a dangerous vehicle.

Last edited:
Thanks @T6 Dave's Dad. I contacted VW assist today who sent the AA out. The "very nice man" plugged it in to his magic box which showed 2 unknown faults and, even though he couldn't replicate the issue on his test drive, he called it in as a breakdown and took it to VW commercial.
I am currently car-less until the hire one gets delivered tomorrow.
I will post an update as I get more information.
Thanks all.

Fortunately the client I was doing work for lives in the next street over or I wouldn't have gotten back to finish their decorating today. My Mrs is raging as I had to offload all of my tools into the living room as my workshop is chokka with materials for next week!

@Big Nairn. Glad to hear that your wife is raging about it because whilst a dealer may try to give you the runaround an angry wife is another matter especially if she is going for it in loud "don't give me that rubbish" mode in front of other customers. I'm truly sorry for the serious inconvenience you have suffered which forms part of your case even though, fortuitously, it hasn't lost you work. It was fortunate that you were working close to home.

Well after a week away I finally got my bus back. The fault they found was with the fuel sender, which they have replaced. Fingers crossed that it is now fixed.

Please update us after a reasonable period, especially if there is any recurrence. Having had one incidence treated any recurrence must be dealt with as a continuation of the original fault. Here's hoping that all is now sorted :whistle:

Hi, I've got a T6, 150 manual van, March 2017 plated. My van cut out a few months ago whilst going over a speed bump - which was on a bend. Because I was new to the van, I though that I might have possibly stalled it and decided to just keep an eye upon it. I was up in Scotland on the Isle of Skye a week ago and I was driving along a narrow road - Up and down. The van's coil light came on and the van practicaly stopped and juddered to about 5mph (Didn't seem to me to be in limp mode - it died!). I stopped the van and just waited a couple of minutes (luckily it was a quiet road!). I started the van up - no engine management light and all was well. I drove a few miles to get a phone signal to phone VW recovery up for advice. I was told if it was safe to drive (which at that point I thought it would be) then to go to the nearest Vw garage. (To cut a long story short - I couldn't get it booked in to anywhere whilst in Scotland; so I booked it in to my local Vw garage and this was with Vw customer phone advice - I was promised that if I break down that I would be recovered).

Took it to the garage last week and I've only been told to take it back that Vw are aware of the problem and that I would be put on a list for an update patch as soon as it's available.

It appears that the fault that I've experienced ties in with other people's experience on this thread. After thinking about it over the weekend I'm not happy waiting with a potential time bomb of loosing power again whilst on the road.

I'm going to contact the garage again tomorrow to see if I can get more information on what they've found.

Any other advice you kind people can suggest? + Did you guys who had the problem manage to get to the bottom of the problem?

Thanks in advance.

There seems to be a definite pattern of this problem with certain vehicles, I have experienced this scenario a couple more times since last posting on this thread, luckily when the engine cut out we were in a relatively safe situation...

Still waiting to see the outcome from Big Nairn...

Reactions: Arf
Happened again yesterday this time the wife was driving, drove all the way back from BUSFEST with about 30 yards left to home, pulled out of side street on to main road and engine stalled/died, took about 20 seconds to do a key start, then wife lost it big time and revved the **** out of the engine, no laughing matter as an approaching car had to stop!!

I have noticed this problem mentioned in other threads on here, mentioning SS, but we always turn the SS off, since being advised by assist guy after a previous stalls.

Please do not say it's down to poor driving, in case you happen to meet my wife....

I have decided to look into this matter in greater depth and will keep you posted.

Hello, I’d be interested to hear what the resolution was for everyone with this issue was.

We’ve just bought a 150 T6 euro 6 manual, we’ve had it less than 2 weeks and it’s done 400miles and cut out on us 4 (me once and my OH 3) times changing from 3rd to 2nd.

When it cut out on me I was sure the van was being odd from starting it, as heater was taking ages to get any warmth - once it stalled the heater started producing hot heat immediately - very odd.

Van centre can’t find fault, and I can’t decide if I should be the one finding out by potentially putting us in a dangerous situation.

PS if anyone has difficulty obtaining loan/courtesy car via roadside assist / AA it might be because they think the vehicle is still owned by a lease company - so to avoid making countless insane phone calls, check!

Hi,
what I've been told for my vehicle is that it's a software issue with the addblue technology and how this works. I'm still waiting for mine to be recalled for this update. My vw has been behaving though - although admittingly I've not done loads of mileage since summer in it.

Back