Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

Had no further issues with ours stalling, done 9k now but still religiously turn the stop start off.

Just for the record, I'll register myself as a victim here. #MeToo

No issues since I keep the stop/start off.

(2017 102bhp Trendline)

I took my 150 t32 into the dealership a couple of weeks ago to look at my front assist being ‘not available’ and the fact that the van had cut out a few times when changing down - two of the 3 times on a roundabout! The first time it cut out I’d only had the van a few days, so I assumed I’d stalled it, but I was much more careful / aware on the next two occasions and I definitely didn’t stall it.

The initial response from the dealership was that the two were related, but I asked to speak to the mechanic who had carried out the repair work and he said that a clip had been broken on the front sensor, and that had caused the failure of the front assist, as it was out of alignment.

He then went on to say that he’d not had any vans been brought in with the cut out issue, or knew of a known fault with them. The van had also been taken on a 76 mile round trip into central London to carry out the work on the front assist, and no issues had been noted.

I explained I was anxious as I’ve got my van booked in to get some work done (heater/leisure battery/carpeting/mains hookup/insulation etc) and I was worried I’d bought a lemon and was about to waste a load of money...

He assured me that he’d not heard of the issue, or seen vans come in with the cut out fault... he seemed genuine, maybe difficult to judge I grant you, but he did seem genuine.

Since the van has come back, I’ve had no issues, so whether or not he had fixed an issue that he didn’t tell me about, or he was being genuine, and it actually had been my driving style, I don’t know... but for now, I’m ok... I’ll report back if that changes...

Sorry, a long way of saying ... not sure yet!?!

I have nothing to add, mine has not done it since. The only other thing i can think of that could possibly have caused it in my case is contaminated fuel, although the tech took a sample at the time and it was fine.
As far as i can see, there is no longer any way of draining the fuel filter to see if there is any water or sediment in there. Whether there is a warning light that comes on to tell you there is water in there, i have no idea, i'd better get the handbook out..

I've had a device on pretty much since then which disables stop start, so maybe that has hidden the problem.

Just looked in the handbook, it seems that there is no warning light or any other means to tell if you have water in the fuel filter, so i'd imagine that it can get to a level in the filter where it goes in to the fuel supply to the engine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far Guys, I think there may be some evidence building relating to the start/stop, however after being told to drive with this off by a tech guy, I did experience a cut out, so for me not to sure... I just wish we could put this problem to bed, because like Ian_T6 all I want is to have some peace of mind before (A) The warranty runs out, and (B) I spend good money on a van which is ticking bomb!!!

Please forgive my persistence on this matter, however I had this problem again yesterday (with s/s off) and wandered if after speaking to customer services, they say that no one else has mentioned this or logged any issues, I find this difficult to believe, so I would like to ask who else has mentioned this to CS or expressed concern in the past???

Please forgive my persistence on this matter, however I had this problem again yesterday (with s/s off) and wandered if after speaking to customer services, they say that no one else has mentioned this or logged any issues, I find this difficult to believe, so I would like to ask who else has mentioned this to CS or expressed concern in the past???

When mine played up, they recovered it from my house and supplied a hire vehicle. Maybe ask them why they did that ? - FE66 FOM

I bypassed the customer service guy at my local dealership and spoke to the mechanic directly. He assured me it’s not a fault that is a ‘known issue’ and he hadn’t had anyone bring in a van reporting the same fault - he seemed genuine.

I’m keeping an open mind on the fault, and in the meantime, I’m being very conscious of my gear changes, just to make sure I’m confident it’s not something I’m doing wrong - I caught myself putting it into 5th by accident when aiming for 3rd, so just want to be confident in my own mind that I’m not at fault.

I’ll keep the thread updated if it cuts out again, and I’m confident it wasn’t me!

Earlier this year I think it happened to me twice within a couple of days while running forward at low speed in junctions. At the time I thought I must have stalled it by not changing down sufficiently but I’m not driving any differently now other than always switching the Start / Stop off every time and it’s not been repeated.
Given the fact that it happened in turns at busy junctions resulting in loss of power steering it’s a bit worrying!
Mines a 180 Euro 5 manual.

This issue has not returned on my van for I would estimate at least 4 months. I really can only put it down to a characteristic of the fuelling system which cuts out if it senses engine speed going too low. Just my take on it fwiw

Yes. mine MY 150ps. manual. T32. kombi. Highline. 2017.

If you guys are willing to stand by me on this one, as I will do for you, and PM me with details, model. Reg, but most importantly who and what garage you have complained too, I can get back at them and ask how they can possibly say no one else has either logged this or mentioned this and pass our details over...

My other main concern with this issue is, If mine/our vans develop a major or expensive fault after the warranty expires how do we stand ?

What do you think? You will be rinsed a few hundred for diagnostics and told nothing wrong, or random parts swapping at your own expense.

It certainly will not be free...

Back