Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

TEESIXY

T6 Guru
I've started this thread because it seems to be a different issue to one already posted, where the engine dies at low speed.
Just had the biggest scare of my life- going down a steep'ish hill, with a 90 degree bend at the bottom. Doing about 35mph in 4th gear. I started to change down to 3rd, and the engine died, with the loss of the power steering. Had it all on to navigate the bend and ended up on the grass verge.
I released the clutch in 3rd as it was slowing and it was dead. Once stationary i turned the ignition of, back on and it restarted normally, no warning lights, and didnt do it again on the way home.
It was pretty scary tbh. If the wife had been driving, it would have ended up in a ditch, without doubt. Will contact the dealer on Mon, but i am dreading the "no fault found" answer after a day wasted.

Last edited:
@TEESIXY as this is a safety issue, and I take very seriously about probable consequences had your wife been at the wheel, do not under any circumstances let the Dealer fob you off. If the Dealer has no answer insist on VW Technical Services being called out and insist on a courtesy vehicle and refuse to take the vehicle away until it has been examined by VWUK.

I would call VW Assist in the meantime to log the fault and have the vehicle recovered to the Dealer as being too dangerous to drive until it has had a proper technical evaluation. It is only by good fortune that there was no serious accident that just might have been fatal.

Would it be anything to do with start/stop system? (If you have it?)
@Fish the start/stop didn't restart the engine when the clutch was depressed, yet the engine restarted on the key after the vehicle had stopped moving, so I would say doubtful or, if so, not the only issue.

The only thing i can think of is that i went to change down at the start of a steepish hill,- these vans shut down, (usually momentarily) when you go over such as a hump back bridge- i could have pressed the clutch at the same time as that kicked in ? Either way, i hope VW take it seriously.

Iv'e got a 200 mile round trip today to an important motorbike trial (which is while i'm up at this hour..) but common sense has prevailed and i'm not going to risk it, so i'm not best pleased..

It will give me time to draft out a letter to the DVSA though, in anticipation of getting the run around next week.

Put in the call to VW Assist too this morning before they get busy. Frustrating for you but that is a sensible decision and is part of your case for VW Technical Services because that must have been one scary moment for you, especially when you thought "What if my wife had been driving on her own when this happened?).

As said this isn't good. Get VW Assist out to check it and recover it to a dealership - refuse to drive it. They will also sort a loan vehicle out. Hopefully there is a fault code stored and VW can get it sorted asap. I've never heard this happen on a T6?

Just an update, VW assist arrived within the hour with a decent, friendly technician. No faults logged. He checked the fuel was diesel, ie not been fuelled with petrol. Checked a rubber seal in the air filter lid which holds the MAF.
Its being collected and taken to the dealer. Not sure that they will, or can do much else, but this ensures that the dealer logs it with VW as a potential safety issue. Courtesy van provided. Thanks to all for the advise on this, will, of course post any further updates.

@TEESIXY Don't forget you have two professional opinions now - @BognorMotors and the VW Assist technician - so it is for the Dealer to call in VW Technical Services as fairly extensive checks have already been made. Remind the Dealer that he bears the responsibility of the results of any further incident if he cannot find the cause and fails to call in Tech Services as you consider the vehicle is too dangerous to drive with a potential for recurrence.

That's great news from VW assist. They are brilliant, and because a hire van is being provided, will put pressure on to get results. I would also log a call with VW UK customer services tomorrow

Well, the van was taken away, and a brand new transit dropped off, but i've heard nothing else. Its gone to Imperial commercials at Nottingham. I called them when it was on its way and asked them to have a look at the drivers door window as well as it sometimes makes a loud thud when you stop it opening.
The VW assist man said there was some outstanding work which would be done while its in, nothing urgent, and would normally wait until it was serviced- fuel pipe was mentioned.
Regarding the actual issue, i'm not sure what they can do if its not happened before. In an ideal world i'd like to think that the ecu can be interrogated in more depth, if its linked up to VW in Germany, but in reality i guess that's wishful thinking. Will probably call them tomorrow, if iv'e heard nothing.
IMG_20170626_085819.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your update @TEESIXY and we wait further updates with interest :thumbsup:. I'm sure that you reminded the Dealer of his responsibility in getting to the bottom of this as per my earlier post and that they are taking it seriously but you have to be determined and stick to your guns.

Perhaps you could replicate the situation that resulted in the loss of engine power but I would be reluctant to do so as if there were no recurrence there would be an insistence that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and you would always be dubious about driving it :confused:.

Just had a phone call. The van is ready for collection. They have rechecked the seal around the maf, cleared all the fault codes??, road tested it and no fault found. Which is pretty much what i expected. I asked if they had contacted VW, but she said that they had carried out the correct procedure for this fault, and that it is all recorded on their system.
I will collect it and see how it goes. If it does it again i will call VW assistance out without restarting it.
The other thing which i am aware of is that whilst the recovery and replacement vehicle etc is free, should the fault be something not caused by them (nothing i'm aware of), i would be responsible for the costs. All very unlikely, but contaminated fuel, or damage caused during ply lining are examples which, i guess could leave me with a bill.
The dodgy window is either the motor,or the regulator- but both parts are on back order. Will try and talk to the tech when i collect it and find out if there were any fault codes cleared.

Should you be unlucky enough to experience a recurrence at least you will know what to do, how it will feel and what is available (no power steering or braking) and then what to do afterwards :cool:. We are all hoping that neither you nor any other T6 driver ever experiences that in the future :).

The advice and assistance was willingly given as we had the advantage of a detached view, you were the one that had to deal with it and well done to you for coping so well :thumbsup:

Back