Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

I've just found this thread ...
I've got a 65 plate T26 tdi blue motion
I've had the same problem for over a year and just thought it was bad driving, like not changing down gear quick enough before corners and have been knocking the stop start off everytime I get in. But yesterday while going down hill doing 30 in 3rd went to change down to 2nd and engine cut out lost power steering and ended up on the other side of the road !! I depressed the clutch straight away and this did not kick start the engine and had to stop and key start, luckily nothing on the opposite side of road this time but was terrified and had the kids in. I'm now terrified to drive the van and won't be using it again, don't think it's under warranty. Not sure what to do. So glad I've found this forum and hoping for some advise, because I'm sure this is a serious safety issue.

I’m convinced it’s something to do with the Start / Stop function, I disable this as soon as I start the engine and it’s not been a problem since.
I agree it terrifying in a corner.

I’m convinced it’s something to do with the Start / Stop function, I disable this as soon as I start the engine and it’s not been a problem since.
I agree it terrifying in a corner.[/QUOTE
It sure was! I never drive the van without stop start deactivated because of this fault but yesterday this still happened.
I will be reporting tomorrow to VW and asking if this is a known fault and where I stand, then if its not resolved I'm sure it would be a case of corporate manslaughter if I carry on driving and cause a fatality.

I've had the same problem for over a year and just thought it was bad driving, like not changing down gear quick enough before corners and have been knocking the stop start off everytime I get in. But yesterday while going down hill doing 30 in 3rd went to change down to 2nd and engine cut out lost power steering and ended up on the other side of the road !! I depressed the clutch straight away and this did not kick start the engine and had to stop and key start, luckily nothing on the opposite side of road this time but was terrified and had the kids in. I'm now terrified to drive the van and won't be using it again, don't think it's under warranty. Not sure what to do. So glad I've found this forum and hoping for some advise, because I'm sure this is a serious safety issue.
What engine you have? The actual engine code is on sticker under dash or service booklet. It is four letter code starting with CA--, CC--, CF--, CX--. AdBlue system? Just asking as there is available a new (this year) engine software update for certain engines.

We've got a Euro 5 66 plate 140 manual Highline that we have had from new, it's got almost 39k on the clock. 99% of the time the S-S is on and I can honestly say that unless one of us (husband & wife drive) let's the revs drop too low the engine never stops.
With the S-S on it will always restart when the clutch is depressed and moreover if the clutch is not depressed the engine is still turning so the power steering is still available.
Having had 2 T4s, 3 T5s and now a T6 I am well aware that diesel VWs (and may be other makes) with electronic fuel injection are very easy to stall, mostly by unwittingly being in too high a gear.
Our first T4, not included above, had an old mechanical injection system and didn't suffer from easy stalls.

We've got a Euro 5 66 plate 140 manual Highline that we have had from new, it's got almost 39k on the clock. 99% of the time the S-S is on and I can honestly say that unless one of us (husband & wife drive) let's the revs drop too low the engine never stops.
With the S-S on it will always restart when the clutch is depressed and moreover if the clutch is not depressed the engine is still turning so the power steering is still available.
Having had 2 T4s, 3 T5s and now a T6 I am well aware that diesel VWs (and may be other makes) with electronic fuel injection are very easy to stall, mostly by unwittingly being in too high a gear.
Our first T4, not included above, had an old mechanical injection system and didn't suffer from easy stalls.

For some time I thought I was stalling the engine. It’s a 2016 180 ps biturbo and even as a fully loaded camper in 6th gear on the flat it will run at idling RPM.
I don’t make a habit of this just pointing out that it’s unlikely it stalling.

See you can get a dealer to check it over so they have the opportunity to fix something - just accept whatever they say when you collect it, I firmly believe they fixed ours but would not admit it ever had an issue - if they did it could be very damaging for the reputation.

I’ve stalled a few times since but it’s never done the complete shutdown, so I know what was happing was not a stall either.

As you say, when you have important things on board you need to trust it.

I don't understand how the poster above ended up with no power steering if the vehicle was still moving unless he had either depressed the clutch or knocked it out of gear. Whilst the forward motion is rotating the engine the power steering pump is working.
If the vehicle is moving the engine cannot stop turning unless the drive train is disconnected.

I don't understand how the poster above ended up with no power steering if the vehicle was still moving unless he had either depressed the clutch or knocked it out of gear. Whilst the forward motion is rotating the engine the power steering pump is working.
If the vehicle is moving the engine cannot stop turning unless the drive train is disconnected.

I see your point but I believe it’s when you depress the clutch to get the engine re-started. Admittedly it’s not for long but when your moving it feels like it.

Mine still does it every now and again. I had it in for a service in June and reported it to them, but they found nothing when they ran diagnostics. I mentioned to them that there were many people having the same issue, but they said it was not a known fault. Hey ho.

My power steering goes off too. It just totally cuts out and you have to turn the key to start it again.

My power steering goes off too. It just totally cuts out and you have to turn the key to start it again.
i had a same in a Dorset village. driver way too much on my lane scared me an i stalled while moving.
everything gone, i was just coasting, barely no direction.

Years ago I had a Vauxhall Cavalier that used to stall for no reason. It may have happened when I reduced speed and then tried to accelerate again (eg, when entering and leaving a roundabout). I would have to wait one or two minutes before I could re-start the car (ignition was dead until then). The garage found that it was a faulty fuel pump relay. Perhaps something to explore for this issue?

Got us worried now! Engine died twice at roundabouts yesterday, although steering ok. That's odd we thought!
As the T6 (6 month old Kombi) is new to us we thought maybe it could possibly be a "getting used to it" thing, but having driven many different vehicles for many, many years it seemed unlikely.
So having read this forum we are reassured on one count, but extremely concerned on another!
Now feeling somewhat disappointed with our purchase and the next trip out will be an anxious one!

Last edited:
Log, log, and log your concerns, with VW dealer and customer services, ask for Lisa she as been dealing with my complaint, although because I can't replicate this problem when at the dealers, they just want you to let them have your vehicle to give it a good thrashing to try to find out what the problem is, this I have declined, because I know that they know what the problem is and they simply will not accept responsibility to what is clearly a Dangerous problem.....

Hi
This problem has happened to me a few times now, thought it was my driving style
The engine cuts out when slowing down for a junction etc, if I’m lazy changing down gears and I’m temporary in neutral. I have to restart with the key as stop start won’t work.
You would think as the van was still moving that some sensor would kill the stop start
Also have no power steering , quite scary sometimes
So I now always drive with stop start off
Unless I forget!
140 t30 highline 65 plate

Last edited:
I simply can not stress enough how important it is for you to log your problem, every time I have mentioned this problem, customer services state they have had NO OTHER COMPLAINTS ???????

Back