Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

Hi,
what I've been told for my vehicle is that it's a software issue with the addblue technology and how this works. I'm still waiting for mine to be recalled for this update. My vw has been behaving though - although admittingly I've not done loads of mileage since summer in it.

Hi Arf

So Volkswagen are aware of this problem and are happy for owners to potentially pull across dual carriageway turning right and cut out in the way of oncoming traffic?

So far it appears there is no resolution, due to personal issues and work load I have not driven my van more than 50 miles since my last post so had put this problem on the back burner, however since you posted 18T6 with your issue it has made me realize the problem is still there and we are not alone, unfortunately if you mention this forum to the dealers they tend to try to make you feel stupid for listening to (untrained people) rest assured this problem will cause a serious accident sooner or later and my advise is to complain, as I will be doing again during the xmas break and keep calling out the assist guy's so your problem is logged.
My aim is to contact the media, if we get no joy, and I hope you all do the same.....

I didn’t realised I bought into this. We just decided it was time to move away from the cool but impractical ‘79 panel for something more suitable with heating to covert in the spring.

I’ve threatened the media, and forced a loan car with the threat of taking the dealers directors company car home if I wasn’t give some customer service.

Perhaps I should hold my loan car at ransom?

If it is a software issue though, how come it's only happening in a tiny percentage of vans. Seems to me it's more likely to be a faulty component somewhere.
Mine is not one of the affected ones, 13000 miles and it hasn't happened once, but it makes me nervous that there's unexplained fault out there that isn't being fixed.

If it is a software issue though, how come it's only happening in a tiny percentage of vans. Seems to me it's more likely to be a faulty component somewhere.
Mine is not one of the affected ones, 13000 miles and it hasn't happened once, but it makes me nervous that there's unexplained fault out there that isn't being fixed.

Apparently there’s 3 production lines - I’ve no idea how components are split / used across these, but could explain the affected and not affected, so vw need to start owning this by the sound of it.

Peops - we are correct in this is definitely an issue, and not us accidentally selecting 4th instead of 2nd? Me and my OH are convinced not.

I’m willing to smash this to the highest level, as long I’m not going to look like an idiot!! How many of us have no answer?

Why not disable start stop and see if the issue goes away, at least then you can remove one possible cause from the investigation?

Why not disable start stop and see if the issue goes away, at least then you can remove one possible cause from the investigation?

Loz, It shouldn’t be my problem to solve. I’m just wondering if I should refuse to have the van back until it’s fixed?

Loz, It shouldn’t be my problem to solve. I’m just wondering if I should refuse to have the van back until it’s fixed?
Sometimes you got to help them help you..

You say they haven’t and refuse to collect it, they say they have.. what next? Stalemate.

With something like this, unless you dive in with a warning light on, they are useless.

it happened to me with start stop and without .... California is two years old and out of warranty ... now I do not think about it anymore ... I've never brought it to service ... it's worth it ..

Sometimes you got to help them help you..

You say they haven’t and refuse to collect it, they say they have.. what next? Stalemate.

With something like this, unless you dive in with a warning light on, they are useless.

Normally I would be happy to help work out a pattern, but this fault could put myself or my other half in danger. If VW are aware of the issue then I definitely should not be doing that.

I’m trying to work out where everyone is with this, so I can go back to them with a fair attitude - but at the moment I’ve spent what is a lot of money for me on something that’s not working as it should - it’s done 400 miles!

Peops - we are correct in this is definitely an issue, and not us accidentally selecting 4th instead of 2nd? Me and my OH are convinced not.

I’m willing to smash this to the highest level, as long I’m not going to look like an idiot!! How many of us have no answer?

In my case it was definitely not stalled by selecting the wrong gear, i was changing down from fourth to third, and the steering went heavy as i was changing, before i had released the clutch in third. That said, it has not done it again since.

Sorry I forgot to mention, bear in mind I have reported this problem on four occasions, and had the van back at the dealers twice (with no joy), and in the last eleven or so Months they have not contacted me once to ask if everything is OK I think they are waiting for my warranty to expire...

This is a email I have just sent to the consumer editor of Auto Express Magazine (hugo-griffiths@dennis.co.uk) if this problem concerns you or you would like to help please do the same..
Thanks
Dear Sir

Please advise, last year I purchased a VW transporter T6 Highline Kombi 150 euro six, and within weeks both myself and my wife experienced the problem of the engine cutting out when changing gear from third to second, or from forth to third and on these occasions we were left in a highly dangerous situation, at first we took our vehicle back to the dealer and they found no fault but basically said it was the way we were driving and not used to the vehicle, this seemed strange because having driven many cars and vans we had never experienced this problem before, so looking for answers I read an article on the T6 forum and was astounded to see that we were not alone and it appears that even though it is a small minority of vehicles VW seem to be covering up or simple do not care..

I would be extremely grateful if you would take the time to look at this post on the T6 forum entitled Safety issue-Engine dies when changing gear, and let me know what your thoughts are and any impartial advise would be very welcomed.

Yours Sincerely

Anthony

This is a email I have just sent to the consumer editor of Auto Express Magazine (hugo-griffiths@dennis.co.uk) if this problem concerns you or you would like to help please do the same..
Thanks
Dear Sir

Please advise, last year I purchased a VW transporter T6 Highline Kombi 150 euro six, and within weeks both myself and my wife experienced the problem of the engine cutting out when changing gear from third to second, or from forth to third and on these occasions we were left in a highly dangerous situation, at first we took our vehicle back to the dealer and they found no fault but basically said it was the way we were driving and not used to the vehicle, this seemed strange because having driven many cars and vans we had never experienced this problem before, so looking for answers I read an article on the T6 forum and was astounded to see that we were not alone and it appears that even though it is a small minority of vehicles VW seem to be covering up or simple do not care..

I would be extremely grateful if you would take the time to look at this post on the T6 forum entitled Safety issue-Engine dies when changing gear, and let me know what your thoughts are and any impartial advise would be very welcomed.

Yours Sincerely

Anthony

Let me know if you hear back.

Firstly, VW don't give a toss about you or your van. You might be lucky and have a decent dealer - but they have to deal with VW, and they really do not give a toss.
Secondly, the UK car magazines are so far up the arze of the German car industry that they will not criticise the manufacturers or their products. They need the advertising revenue and test cars from these manufacturers in order to survive.

I wish you luck in getting this fixed, because someone will be killed, eventually. If you were in the USA, you might get somewhere. But here in the EU, the German car industry must be protected at all costs.

Firstly, VW don't give a toss about you or your van. You might be lucky and have a decent dealer - but they have to deal with VW, and they really do not give a toss.
Secondly, the UK car magazines are so far up the arze of the German car industry that they will not criticise the manufacturers or their products. They need the advertising revenue and test cars from these manufacturers in order to survive.

I wish you luck in getting this fixed, because someone will be killed, eventually. If you were in the USA, you might get somewhere. But here in the EU, the German car industry must be protected at all costs.

Interesting...

I fitted a replacement watch strap today and they were kind enough to put a sticker with their proposition 65 warning that it might give me cancer, so just checking that I was happy with that.

Perhaps VW could also put a sticker of possible harm, which I make sure I’m happy with before starting my van.

I think with these things it isn’t the problem, it’s how it’s dealt with. The service guy saying he’d happily let his wife drive a vehicle with this issue as it was “no more risky than a cam belt snapping” is not the kind of response you expect from a brand that should care.

Still no progress, the van centre have test driven 3 times with no fail.

Customer care have told me to collect the van. I’ve refused based on no fault found, making a change, nor any explanation. I now asked them to drive it twice a day for two weeks as that’s how long we’ve had the van.

If they had said we think it’s down to stop start / battery condition (would that explain the heater not getting hot?) and therefore we’ve changed the battery just in case - fair enough. Or it might be over zealous Front Assist - fair enough. But saying there’s nothing wrong is making me nervous to drive it again.

It’s not my problem to diagnose, nor come up with potential reasons for cutting out, I just want VW to reassure me with something.

To make things worse, they’ve told me if I don’t collect the van, they’ll off hire the courtesy car, so I’m not insured.

So I’m having to take public transport today, it’s a good job I don’t need to collect 10 sheets of plasterboard...

What is really hacking me off is they insist they’ve done everything they can.

Back