Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

Ok, thought he was referring to the issue in general and vw were working on a fix but could take a while.

Just to explain a bit more as it wasnt clear earlier

When @Baloo took his van back with the symptons others were/are experiencing of the vehicle dying going downhill off the throttle VW computers found a fault logged in the vehicle (which it seems is not present in others) and they did not want it driven and kept hold of it and left him with a courtesy van. From memory the fault was in a particular control module but i cant remember which one (hopefully @Baloo can remember)

His vehicle was requested back to the factory in Germany for inspection/testing so VW could look into the problem, from this info i took it a fix would be coming in due course when they had completed diagnosis
I think my earlier post was worded badly and i may have filled you with false hope, apologies if i misled you.

Thanks @Pauly for your reply, only this has happened twice with myself now so thought from the earlier reply there may have been some more news regarding a fix that I had missed .

Thanks for that last post Pauly, that's really got me thinking, the first time this happened to me was on a steep inclined road, yet when I took it back to the dealers and they came out with me to try to replicate the problem it was all on flat roads, I haven't used the van much since (trying to keep the mileage down) so I will be looking for a nice steep road to test on, will update soon...

I dont know if thats the trigger that just seemed to be what people were saying ie coming off the throttle down a hill ??
Thinking about it didnt someone say it happened to them going over a hump back bridge into a corner ?

They all do the hump back bridge thing- my T5.1 did it as well,it backs the power off momentarily, but with no danger of a stall. The trigger for mine dying was the start of a quite steep descent, and changing down at pretty much the same time. The engine had died before i released the clutch, with immediate loss of steering assistance.

Yes TEESIXY that sounds about right, a bit hair raising when your approaching a junction at the bottom..

Just to explain a bit more as it wasnt clear earlier

When @Baloo took his van back with the symptons others were/are experiencing of the vehicle dying going downhill off the throttle VW computers found a fault logged in the vehicle (which it seems is not present in others) and they did not want it driven and kept hold of it and left him with a courtesy van. From memory the fault was in a particular control module but i cant remember which one (hopefully @Baloo can remember)

His vehicle was requested back to the factory in Germany for inspection/testing so VW could look into the problem, from this info i took it a fix would be coming in due course when they had completed diagnosis
I think my earlier post was worded badly and i may have filled you with false hope, apologies if i misled you.

@Pauly - Yes you are correct, the fault was 'internal module - injector module' This was what the dealer told me on day one, whether this is the fault they kept the van for I can't be sure.

The corporate guy was very specific, the fault occurs whilst going downhill when you lift off the throttle. He also said there were 14 vans affected, 4 in Germany and 10 in the UK, all made in the same week. Discussing this with the dealer, he did say mine was the first Euro6 engine van they had delivered to them. He remembered it well because the customer cancelled it after waiting for so long, hence why it became a demonstrator.

My assumption would be if you have the same fault logged on the van you will get the same treatment, they seemed to take it very seriously, nobody was allowed to drive the van, even in the car park, it spent several weeks in the same space.

He also added in the last conversation I had with him (<2 weeks ago) that the van's were going into dry storage and would be re-sold once fixed.

I would assume these 10 vans should/would have been tracked by now ?, or are there any underlying faults relating to this issue....

I would assume these 10 vans should/would have been tracked by now ?, or are there any underlying faults relating to this issue....
Yes, I certainly got the impression they’d all been located, I know I was the first one to have a replacement van.

The cutting-out issue has happened to both me and my wife on several occasions, most recently yesterday. In the past it has mostly been travelling onto a roundabout and when merging at approx 20mph. It seems to be triggered by gear change from maybe 2nd into 3rd at lowish rpm's (moving into 3rd at maybe just over 1k rpm). The engine isn't stalling as such, it just dies. Sometimes it can be restarted by 'bumping' it in gear, but this is not always the case.
Yesterday was the worst so far, driving into a left hand turn at around 25mph and again changing gear mid turn only for engine to die and loss of power steering. My driving style may be adding to the symptoms but have never had this issue in the past with any of my other vehicles.

The cutting-out issue has happened to both me and my wife on several occasions, most recently yesterday. In the past it has mostly been travelling onto a roundabout and when merging at approx 20mph. It seems to be triggered by gear change from maybe 2nd into 3rd at lowish rpm's (moving into 3rd at maybe just over 1k rpm). The engine isn't stalling as such, it just dies. Sometimes it can be restarted by 'bumping' it in gear, but this is not always the case.
Yesterday was the worst so far, driving into a left hand turn at around 25mph and again changing gear mid turn only for engine to die and loss of power steering. My driving style may be adding to the symptoms but have never had this issue in the past with any of my other vehicles.

All sounds very similar to how it happened to me, so so worrying if it happens while the mrs is driving, not sure at all how she would react.

All sounds very similar to how it happened to me, so so worrying if it happens while the mrs is driving, not sure at all how she would react.
The immediate loss of power steering is a major issue especially mid turn. I would imagine some women would really struggle to overcome the resistance on the steering wheel

....... and then what can we do towards the VW? look what is happening with the other friends who bought the new t6, do not register their vehicles for emissions problems .. or maybe it also affects our problem? the VW is behaving badly, in my opinion, we risk ending up off the road .... it would be a complaint ...

Happened again yesterday, turning left into a side street, around 15mph in 3rd gear about to change into 2nd gear, engine died no power steering, re started after second dip of clutch..
Had VW assist out today no fault found but have been advised to drive with start stop off for a few weeks to see if problem reoccurs, if not then try again leaving start stop on, we will see!!!

it does not seem a professional justification !! maybe in England you can get satisfaction from VW, here in Italy we are like sheep ....

Happened again yesterday, turning left into a side street, around 15mph in 3rd gear about to change into 2nd gear, engine died no power steering, re started after second dip of clutch..
Had VW assist out today no fault found but have been advised to drive with start stop off for a few weeks to see if problem reoccurs, if not then try again leaving start stop on, we will see!!!
Have done the same here with stop start, not happened since.

Back