Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

Well I think this was the problem I had a while ago. My wife was driving and it stalled while driving though It seem to loose power in a dip stalling ast the van went uphill. She managed to pull over and restared the engine. Power steering went off as well. I think it happened to be before as well. I reported it to the local van center who had the van in to check it over, they told me they could not find anything and would I mind leaving it another day. When I phoned the next day because I had heard nothing I was told it needed an new ECU which took a week to get. TBH I wonder if they found nothing and changed the ECU as a matter of course but they still said there was a problem with the ECU.

Just for the record I bought a 18 plate with 20k miles on the clock and on the first day it happened to me twice and my wife once, all three times going downhill slightly in about third at about 20 mph slowing down. Thought it was an electrical fault as the start-stop wasn't working properly and I wonder if the battery hadn't been fully charged when they sold it to us. Call the dealer and they said we just weren't used to driving the gears/van. I eventually got the money back for the van due to another unrelated problem.

Think I might have got lucky returning the van as it is damn scary when it happens and you do need your wits about you.!

Just for the record I bought a 18 plate with 20k miles on the clock and on the first day it happened to me twice and my wife once, all three times going downhill slightly in about third at about 20 mph slowing down. Thought it was an electrical fault as the start-stop wasn't working properly and I wonder if the battery hadn't been fully charged when they sold it to us. Call the dealer and they said we just weren't used to driving the gears/van. I eventually got the money back for the van due to another unrelated problem.

Think I might have got lucky returning the van as it is damn scary when it happens and you do need your wits about you.!
Glad to hear you got a refund.
Hopefully the next poor sod gives it back, and the dealers gets it mended!

Actually ordered a spanking brand new one to our exact specifications so we're well chuffed. Should get it within 6 weeks. Just hope it doesn't get the same fault

Hi All, new member here and just read this thread following similar issues with my T6 Kombi T32 2018 which I bought 2nd hand from a Ford dealer. Only had the van for a few weeks and the engine and steering has cut out twice already. First time was going slow in backed up traffic and the 2nd was when I was about to pull into my driveway. Both times I think it’s gone from 3rd to 2nd. Bloody scary when loosing steering!

Reading this thread, it doesn’t look like VW have formally acknowledged this “issue”, but reading another thread about the complexities of “start/stop” (and yes, there’s MANY aspects to this feature from temperature, battery, gear, clutch etc etc)...so, I think this is a MAJOR design flaw due to over engineered functionality which of course VW wouldn’t want to jump at entertaining any major investigation especially following its recent issues. The pride of German engineering already taken a massive beating!

A common voice with a list of names of owners is a first start here. I’ve also raised this with Watchdog and think this is fairly huge!

Interested to hear what people have experienced since posting on here and what thoughts everyone has of coming together on this. E.g. get a list created on a Google Spreadsheet?

I’ll join the club, my 3 week old, 750mile 69 plate 102 has stalled 3 times whilst in motion - always downhills with clutch dipped or changing gear. VW Assist on way to have a look on my drive. Will keep you all posted . HO bloody HO

I’ve had this a few times on my 66 102.
Both times were in slow moving traffic either changing down gear or rolling out of gear. I assumed it was the start stop kicking in too early. luckily it’s not happened in a lore dangerous situation like some here have had.

VW Assist couldn’t find a problem, guy was decent so I couldn’t be bothered to kick off about it, will see if it happens over Xmas

I’ll join the club, my 3 week old, 750mile 69 plate 102 has stalled 3 times whilst in motion - always downhills with clutch dipped or changing gear. VW Assist on way to have a look on my drive. Will keep you all posted . HO bloody HO
Yet another one!!!! please keep us posted.....Davetom

I would take the van back whilst you still have the chance in your 30-day money back guarantee. It WILL happen again

I would take the van back whilst you still have the chance in your 30-day money back guarantee. It WILL happen again
I was pondering that but I’ve put my own wooden ply up the on side, with a dozen or so screw holes, doubt they’d like that..removed and sold the bulkhead too.

Last edited:
They won't care that you put ply in in or taking the bulkhead out unless possibly you ground the frame out holding the the bulkhead. Show them this thread and see what they have to say on the matter... it really is very dangerous when it happens as you've got no control of steering

Fortunately no one as been injured or worse so far but if and when that happens this thread will come to light, BIG TIME.....

Cheers guys but can’t help thinking that showing the dealer an Internet forum won’t get taken too seriously ? You’ve given me the impetus to pop down tomorrow though,I’m nearing the 30 day mark and tomorrow is realistically the last day that I could sort anything so here goes.. I’ve got nothing to lose anyway ! I shall update ASAP

Cheers guys but can’t help thinking that showing the dealer an Internet forum won’t get taken too seriously ? You’ve given me the impetus to pop down tomorrow though,I’m nearing the 30 day mark and tomorrow is realistically the last day that I could sort anything so here goes.. I’ve got nothing to lose anyway ! I shall update ASAP
Good luck....

They’ve agreed to have it back under the 30 day return policy ( day 26 !). I’m probably gonna have a 150 6 speed off them, slightly more cash but better spec. Let’s hope that one doesn’t cut out .. thanks for the info and assistance lads
Merry Christmas to one and all

They’ve agreed to have it back under the 30 day return policy ( day 26 !). I’m probably gonna have a 150 6 speed off them, slightly more cash but better spec. Let’s hope that one doesn’t cut out .. thanks for the info and assistance lads
Merry Christmas to one and all

Hope that you get a good replacement.

Does anyone know if same problems occur with the Caddy or is it just a T6 problem? Have just been asked this question and I didn't know, but maybe someone on the forum does?

Back