Reversing Camera - Lowline to Highline Upgrade/Retrofit

By the way where did you get your kit from?
And how much was it, if you don't mind me asking?

its all sorted...
i had it all programmed correctly part from ENG122229-ENG117712-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-VPS_0x0B had to be disabled in my instance.
once that was changed, ignition off, keys out for 30secs and then a reboot of the head unit. all works great and the moving guidelines work too.

My loom still hasn't arrived so I got myself motivated and I have checked my current "stock".
I was so surprised to find out that I actually have all necessary connectors:cool:.
Now I have no excuse and I must proceed with no further delays :thumbsup:.

IMAG0016.jpg

A bit of theory from VW.
Funny how they purposely limit existing and available technology.
Unfortunately everything is down to money and keeping few extra features for the release of the next model.

Screenshot_2020-12-16-18-52-30_1.jpg

Reactions: mmi
I have installed my new module last night.
It is truly a very simple and a very quick procedure.
One hour including cup of warm tea :).
I took number of photos so I will try to upload them later on.
New module needs to be connected to CONVENIENCE CAN BUS( and power supply :p).
Quick check with VCDS and my brand new module is missing parametrization :eek:.
A real virgin :D!
Lack of data set prevents coding modification and then without proper coding, the calibration can't be completed.
I wasn't prepared for that so now I need to get my XML or ZDC file to get the software side finished.

Okay, I found inexpensive source of all required components(brand new components) and now I am awaiting my delivery.
It looks that I am going to close the whole upgrade within £100 = €112 o_O:eek:.
More details soon.
Watch this space :):whistle:.
I have to admit that I was wrong.
This can be done cheaper!

Comprehensive part list to upgrade from lowline to highline setup:

1 off camera control module 7N0907441B
1 off plug 8E0972420
4 off repair wires 000979009E
2 off these "video" plugs

US $1.50 15%OFF | 5.5 Inch 12V Car Radio Aerial Antenna Adaptor Connector Cable Head Fakra To Female Din For VW

That's it, job done :thumbsup:.

I have installed my new module last night.
It is truly a very simple and a very quick procedure.
One hour including cup of warm tea :).
I took number of photos so I will try to upload them later on.
New module needs to be connected to CONVENIENCE CAN BUS( and power supply :p).
Quick check with VCDS and my brand new module is missing parametrization :eek:.
A real virgin :D!
Lack of data set prevents coding modification and then without proper coding, the calibration can't be completed.
I wasn't prepared for that so now I need to get my XML or ZDC file to get the software side finished.
I got my missing parameterization file.
Big THANK YOU goes to @dnoermann & @mmi :thumbsup:.
More details soon :whistle:.

I want to ask @Robert, @dnoermann and @mmi about their opinion, there are some VWs and Skodas, which have Area View system, in which the reverse camera is with dynamic lines. Browsing through ETKA, I only managed to find 2 types of cameras, one with ordinary 2 pin FAKRA connector and additional CAN and power connector, which has dynamic lines and eventual Trailer Assist, PR Code - KA2. The other one, which is with 4 pin HSD connector and LVDS signal and PR Code - KA6?! And there is, of course, the simplest of the cameras with static lines, PR Code - KA1, but it's not related to Area View system!:cool:

judasfan said:
Hell Robert, thank you very much for having me, I suppose it is OK to call you by your first name?:cool:

I am expecting delivery of my T6.1 van, which will be loaded with much extras, but due to a conflict in configuration of some options, it will not have rear view camera. I will add the camera, when I get the van. As I told you, I am following the thread for Area View retrofit and I was wondering how some VW and Skoda vehicles have Area View rear cameras, together with dynamic lines? My research so far, which may not be exact, is that the cameras for Area View and dynamic lines are different!
I believe this is better location to answer your question.

Basically VAG uses two types of reversing camera setups.

First setup called "lowline" where camera video output is connected directly to infotainment unit(display).
In this configuration camera itself produces static lines over the live video.
For T6 the camera part number is 7E0980121 plus its housing 7E0980561A and associated wiring loom.
Camera Wiring:
RED - permament +12V
YELLOW - reversing signal (switched +12V)
BLACK - GND
and the video signal is in "CVBS" standard sent via coaxial cable(core & shield).

Second setup is called "highline" and in this configuration camera video output is connected to reversing camera module
and then from that module to the infotainment unit(display).
This configuration doesn't exist (officially) on a T6 but can be achieved quite easily.
For T6 the camera extracted from part number 5N0827566AB plus housing 7E0980561A with associated wiring loom can be used.
In this configuration camera produces static lines and module dynamic ones over the live video.
Dynamic lines are moving accordingly to steering wheel movements (via CAN communication).
Camera Wiring:
RED - + (provided by camera module)
BLACK - GND (provided by camera module)
and the video signal is in "CVBS" standard sent via coaxial cable(core & shield).

Cameras on both of these OEM setups produce high quality and high resolution video.

its all sorted...
i had it all programmed correctly part from ENG122229-ENG117712-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-VPS_0x0B had to be disabled in my instance.
once that was changed, ignition off, keys out for 30secs and then a reboot of the head unit. all works great and the moving guidelines work too.
Disabled? Not enabled?

Back