Replacement Grille With Built-in 230v Socket

Already been discussed at length, a search will prove fruitful.
Thanks for the reply, as a newbie to the T6 I thought this was something brand new to the market. I have decided to mock a unit up, already bought a suitable petrol flap with mechanism, just on the look out to buy a cheap / scrap front grille to modify to see if its works. Nothing to lose, if all else fails I stick to leaving the bonnet on its first latch and hook the mains cable.

Very fancy but can’t see the point. There is enough gap between the bonnet and grill for the cable with the bonnet fully closed.

Thanks for the reply, as a newbie to the T6 I thought this was something brand new to the market. I have decided to mock a unit up, already bought a suitable petrol flap with mechanism, just on the look out to buy a cheap / scrap front grille to modify to see if its works. Nothing to lose, if all else fails I stick to leaving the bonnet on its first latch and hook the mains cable.
You're welcome. There's loads of info & experience on here to keep a newbie interested for hours. If you're going to attempt any major DIY stuff, VIP membership will unlock a wealth of invaluable info.
It's always worth a quick search before asking any questions, you may find the answer to your query & also answers to questions you hadn't thought of:geek: If you're still scratching your head, chuck it at the collective, they like a challenge:thumbsup:

PS, welcome to the forum

I have a spare grill you can have if you are anywhere near poole.

Very fancy but can’t see the point. There is enough gap between the bonnet and grill for the cable with the bonnet fully closed.
If like me you put your screen cover on before you remember to pop the bonnet it is so much quicker!

Just seen your updates @Alan Walsh... looking good! What has it cost you in parts so far - less than VTA are selling theirs for?
Make your own!

grill-1-jpg.61971

I already had a spare grill, the Golf GTE was £60ish from ebay, the 230 inlet was less than £10 from the wholesalers some black perspex from ebay was £10ish, and probaby £10 on sundries. I had other expenses ie. relays and plugs etc but unless you are going to make the buttons/lock work you won`t need them.

I’m thinking the badge size will be smaller than that on the van.. but if not, that may make for an easy DIY?

If it doesn’t work, then what about the front radar sensor? I’ve not got the front radar on mine so wonder if the radar grille can be modified in order to mount the charge socket..

Did you ever look into this?

Hi there,
am I right in saying,you only purchase a second hand golf gte grill to just salvage the vw badageholder and mounting plate etc?,also how did you manage to seal the rear of the 230v panel mount plug,ie no single insulation showing etc
cheers
Correct, I used the whole unit and just glued the old badge onto the flap as the gte is smaller. I adapted one of these for the 230v inletScreenshot 2020-04-16 at 14.02.34.png

Picked this GTE grille Up for a bargain,so have stripped it down,and worked out all the OEM connections ready for the mod!.....ie utilising the buttons/switches,leds and solenoid locking actuator if anyone is interested.

15D1ADD8-ADF5-4500-A0F5-67ACDACD81DD.jpeg

830E1664-9ACF-4593-AF7A-9EB85FC2324C.jpeg

I ended up having to strip the buttons to get them to do what I wanted they use common connections that would would not work the way I wanted them to.

@Alan Walsh & @Lowlec How’s the modifying progressing? Any tips or advise will be appreciated.

Looks like the Visiontech version uses the standard grill... I’m gonna use a spare Caravelle one.

6D5A425F-BA78-4582-8D19-75ED7D9C5850.jpeg

@Alan Walsh & @Lowlec How’s the modifying progressing? Any tips or advise will be appreciated.

Looks like the Visiontech version uses the standard grill... I’m gonna use a spare Caravelle one.

View attachment 76109
I’m trying to source the original EV plug module to use,as it’s not so deep as the commando plug....and use a mennekes type 2 Socket on my EHU lead!.where did you source the grille from?

Last edited:
I’m trying to source the original EV plug module to use,as it’s not so deep as the commando plug....and use a mennekes type 2 Socket on my EHU lead!.where did you source the bumper from?
I’ve gone for a black flush fitting EHU socket, which I intend to trim down to suit. It offers decent front plate mounting options.
I’m gonna look at grafting on part of the GTE grill to provide the original mounting points too.

Bumper?

Back