Replacement Grille With Built-in 230v Socket

Ads_Essex

Local lowlife
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Has anyone seen this yet?

Vision Tech Automotive showcasing their replacement grille with a 230v socket built in behind the VW badge.

6E2835E3-09AD-4B0F-923F-4DD371B60B72.jpeg
3DC473DE-E52A-4E86-A008-7C6682CD8E60.jpeg

Brilliant idea but, at £400, I’ll probably not.

They had it at the CCM today. Walked past without paying it any notice; probably because I thought it was showcasing the forthcoming electric Transporter :laugh:. What a wally!

Nice, I had been thinking of doing this myself actually. Golf GTE mechanism would work a treat at this but would require some fairly major modding.

Not convinced about the rotation on this one, doesnt look that firm in the vid and unclear how it locks in place for driving. The GTE pivot out approach is much more solid.

Nice idea. The e-golf flap at the front is only $48

Volkswagen e-Golf (2014 - 2017) - air guide grille. radiator grille. > VAG ETKA Online > Nemiga.com

Makes a home DIY version easier.
I’m thinking the badge size will be smaller than that on the van.. but if not, that may make for an easy DIY?

If it doesn’t work, then what about the front radar sensor? I’ve not got the front radar on mine so wonder if the radar grille can be modified in order to mount the charge socket..

T6_3pcs_lower_grilles_radar_sensor_large.jpg

I had a look at the eGolf one over the weekend and it showed an actuator to go with it so either the flap is motorised or the actuator is some sort of lock mechanism to hold it shut ?

I've got a GTE and a T6 so it's pretty easy to compare :). Assume GTE is same as e-Golf (looks to be). Some notes:
  • GTE badge is significantly smaller than T6 BUT I think the actuator is separate from badge so T6 could probably be attached with some simple modding. Whether it'd be easy to get it sat flush is another question....
  • Flap is not motorised (it's sprung / hinged) but has an electronic locking catch that triggers ~2m after stop (think this could easily be ignored i think)
From the exploded diagram @Littleblackflash posted i think you'd probably only need part set #2 to fit to a T6 but mounting of the hinge firmly would be critical as you need a firm press in to disengage the catch to hinge the badge out.

I think it's possible for someone enterprising, I may try myself one day but currently got more pressing jobs on the T6 :(.

If someone with the radar-type lower grille can measure the central gap, I’ll see if an EHU socket plug will fit.

Back