Replacement Grille With Built-in 230v Socket

Why not use the Cali fitment if you have a rear mounted 'Autosleeper' water tank as well like this?

It works well on a LWB on the left or on a SWB on the right perhaps. It would foul the sliding door if used on the same side as the door on a SWB.

Works great on mine.

full.jpg

That would be a great solution but I imagine the cost is nigh on as expensive as, if not more, than the VisionTech grille.

Why not use the Cali fitment if you have a rear mounted 'Autosleeper' water tank as well like this?

It works well on a LWB on the left or on a SWB on the right perhaps. It would foul the sliding door if used on the same side as the door on a SWB.

Works great on mine.

View attachment 37856

Stealth mode engaged hah! But I’m not a fan of the socket showing slap bang in the middle of the panelwork. Pedants, eh!

I don't have to consider 'stealth mode' because my campers look like this, they can never escape being a camper.

This is my previous one that is now for sale...

http://www.1946vw.co.uk/sales/

The current T6 looks much the same but with a Reimo high roof.

I don’t have time to give this a go. I was thinking of putting a hook up socket / plug where the adblue filler would go. Mines a Euro5 van

I don’t have time to give this a go. I was thinking of putting a hook up socket / plug where the adblue filler would go. Mines a Euro5 van
Risky. To my mind. More chance of damaging the flap and risk of fuel spilling into plug when refuelling.
However it does remind me of 1950s American cars with the filler behind the number plate..what’s behind the front number plate? Is there enough room to fit a 240v plug?
There are quick release mounts for the number plates available.
I prefer the stealth look and have mine under the bonnet but I’ve put a sheath over the 1st 6 foot of cable so I don’t have a yellow streak down the front of the van

I did consider that too but it then means leaving access to the fuel filler-cap insecure.

..what’s behind the front number plate? Is there enough room to fit a 240v plug?
There are quick release mounts for the number plates available.
I prefer the stealth look and have mine under the bonnet but I’ve put a sheath over the 1st 6 foot of cable so I don’t have a yellow streak down the front of the van

That’s not a bad shout. I’d imagine there’s room. Granted it’s low down but it doesn’t involve you kneeling down and searching underneath the bumper for the plug.

Well I'm in. Just ordered one.

The badge is non standard so no vinyl inserts possible at home. They said if you send them vinyl they can make it up during build tho.

Another one to add to my backlog of jobs!

Well I'm in. Just ordered one.

The badge is non standard so no vinyl inserts possible at home. They said if you send them vinyl they can make it up during build tho.

Another one to add to my backlog of jobs!

Did you get around to doing this mod? Would love to know exactly what needs to be ordered, how much it cost and how difficult t was to do.

It arrived this week. Good bit of kit, if a bit pricey.

Quite a long way down my list of priorities atm, got to finish the conversion 1st.

It arrived this week. Good bit of kit, if a bit pricey.

Quite a long way down my list of priorities atm, got to finish the conversion 1st.

Where did you get the parts from? TPS? What they cost you in total and what did you order?

You can buy a premade grill with the hup behind the badge from http://www.visiontechautomotive.co.uk/. That's what I've got.

Looking at it it looks like it's a standard grill with a golf gte mechanism grafted on with Sikaflex. It's very well finished though and looks like it'll be solid. Doable by DIY for sure but probably not easy to get it as good as they have done.

You can buy a premade grill with the hup behind the badge from Home • VisionTech Automotive • Converting T5 & T6 Vans. That's what I've got.

Looking at it it looks like it's a standard grill with a golf gte mechanism grafted on with Sikaflex. It's very well finished though and looks like it'll be solid. Doable by DIY for sure but probably not easy to get it as good as they have done.

Sorry for the 20 questions! I thought you were going to have a go at doing it yourself - didn't realise you had ordered one premade.

I was going to (I have a GTE so got something to copy) but when you add up the parts and factor in selling the old grill, dont think till save a lot so - no point imo. May as well let them do the work :).

Do you have any pictures of the rear please as I have the bits (will probably need more yet!). Just want to get an idea of how to mount the inlet. Many Thanks Alan.

Hi,
At the NEC last month I saw a really cool way of hiding the electrical hook up point behind the VW badge on the front grille, problem was I forgot who made it!!! Did anyone visit the show and spotted the VW company?
The VW badge is hinged and swings out and beneath it the female 3 pin 230v socket.
I think the company was from Essex but cannot be sure.
Failing that has anyone managed anything similar...…. If not I will have a go and try and mount the socket behind the badge :thumbsup:

Cheers
Happy Trails

Back