Renogy Bluetooth Confusion (I may have screwed up)

sw25481

VIP Member
I think I have screwed up, not a lot, but I have not been able to get a response from Renogy so would appreciate any advice here

I bought

• 2x 100AH Renogy Smart Battery (not turned up yet)
  • 2000kw Renogy Inverter
  • 40 AMP DC-DC Renogy charger
  • 20 AMP Renogy Rover MPPT with Bluetooth (no panels yet as will get them fitted when I do the roof)
  • 100w Renogy Solar suitcase
  • Victron 30amp smart charger

So it turns out

• The Rover MPPT ships with a BT-1 bluetooth module but as far as I can tell that will connect only to that MPPT as it has RS232
  • I believe the batteries need a BT-2 module and probably the bluetooth communication hub as they have RS485 ports on them
    • (although I am not clear on the hub if everything is daisy changed together)
  • The batteries have built in under and over volatge protection as well as under and over temperature protection and only the MPPT ships by default with a separate temp probe.
    • Some people seem to have smart shunts as well, they don't seem to be needed, but perhaps I should not be trusting the battery or letting it shut down
  • The DC-2 says "Compatible with all Renogy RS485 communication port products includes the Rover Elite MPPT Solar Charge Controller, Smart Lithium Batteries, Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Power Saving Mode, and Dual DC-DC MPPT Battery Charger"
  • The DC-DC converter and the Inverter have no monitoring (and niether does the suitcase but I do not care about that)
    • Only the US 2000w Inverter has an RS485 port

Can someone confirm the rest of this for me please

• I think I need to buy a BT-2 and probably the hub if I want to monitor the batteries and other RS-485 devices
  • I think I need to swap the MPPT for one that talks RS485
    • The Rover Elite or combined 50 amp MPPT/DC-DC
    • Both say they will reactivate a battery if it goes ofline for under volatge but they are odly not clear if this works with the Renogy Smart battery
  • There is no 40 amp DC-DC charger that has an RS485 or RS232 port
    • The closest is the 50 amp MPPT/DC-DC but that only runs at 25 amps for DC-DC
    • So if I kept it I would need to decide if I trust the bateries to do the right thing or if I need to add a temperature sender and a smart shunt for extra protection and some monitoring
  • There is no UK Renogy Inverter with monitoring
    • So if I kept it I need to decide if I have to add another smart shunt for protection and monitoring

I’m not sure about the rest, but the BT-2 plugs into the battery and works. No need for the hub.

Comprehensive reply from Renogy

I'd be glad to assist you with your inquiry. Let me answer your question one by one, so I can make sure that all necessary information is provided.

1) I do not need to worry about temperature probes because the batteries have built in low temperature cut off
A: Yes, that is right. The Smart Lithium batteries that we offer has BMS feature.

2) I need to buy a DC-2 bluetooth module and a Bluetooth communications hub (RCM-HUB-UK) to support monitoring multiple RS485 devices (even if just two batteries)
A: Yes, that is right. But to set your expectations that for 2 batteries connected together, you only need to connect one unit to the BT module to monitor both.

3) I need to return my Rover MTTP 20 amp because it is not compatible with the DC-2 and so can not be used at the same time and monitored by the app at the same time as the RS485 devices. The Rover Elite 20A MPPT supports RS485 and the and the DC-2 bluetooth and would have been a better choice or the DCC50S.
A: Yes, that is right. If you wish to just use one monitoring device you can send the units back depending on your preference.

4) There is no DC-DC charger rated at 40 amp that supports monitoring. The DCC50S is the only DC-DC charger with support for RS485 but will only provide 25 AMPs DC-DC even if it is not used for Solar?
A: The DCC50S max charging current is 50A, which is equally divided into solar and alternator if both are available. Yet, if you will only connect it to one source of charge, the entire 50A will be supplied by the available source.

5) There is no inverter that supports monitoring
A: There are only 2 inverters that are supported by the BT-2 Module which is not available in our UK region.

6) The Renogy shunt does not have RS485 and would not allow remote monitoring
A: Yes, that is right since it is designed to monitor the battery only.

Back