Reclassification Speed Limits

Once it's got 'Motor Caravan' in the 'Body Type' section of the V5C Motor Caravan speed limits apply. I base that on the fact that the QE Bridge Toll automatically recognises the change of classification when the body type is changed by the DVLA and I've never been caught for speeding in many campers when converted from vans.
The N1 cannot be changed to M1, it's fixed at time of first registration dependant on body type at that point.

Rod

Once it's got 'Motor Caravan' in the 'Body Type' section of the V5C Motor Caravan speed limits apply. I base that on the fact that the QE Bridge Toll automatically recognises the change of classification when the body type is changed by the DVLA and I've never been caught for speeding in many campers when converted from vans.
The N1 cannot be changed to M1, it's fixed at time of first registration dependant on body type at that point.

Rod
Excellent news thanks

Hi All,
A little while since I posted. After what seems like an eternity we’re shortly going to take delivery of our converted T6, we’re very excited. A brief bit of background to my question, which might be a numpty one... I purchased the original Kombi van new myself, so it’s registered in my name as vehicle category N1 with 6 seats. While I think I roughly understand the process I have to go through with the DVLA to get it reclassified as a “Motor Caravan”, I just wanted to check what the consequences were if this didn’t happen before we collect it from our converter, besides not being able to go over 60 on the motorway, which is more a minor annoyance than anything?

Hi All,
A little while since I posted. After what seems like an eternity we’re shortly going to take delivery of our converted T6, we’re very excited. A brief bit of background to my question, which might be a numpty one... I purchased the original Kombi van new myself, so it’s registered in my name as vehicle category N1 with 6 seats. While I think I roughly understand the process I have to go through with the DVLA to get it reclassified as a “Motor Caravan”, I just wanted to check what the consequences were if this didn’t happen before we collect it from our converter, besides not being able to go over 60 on the motorway, which is more a minor annoyance than anything?
Check with your insurers as it may have a bearing on that. You'll also need to change the number of seats on the V5. It will remain as N1 on the V5 though.

and you may be subject to the lower speed limits for A roads and Dual Carriageways unless it is already dual purpose due to the 6 seats. What Body Type do you have on the V5 at the moment?

Check with your insurers as it may have a bearing on that. You'll also need to change the number of seats on the V5. It will remain as N1 on the V5 though.
Yes for sure the number of seats isn’t right, however is this such an issue when the number is too high? And yes I know I need to contact my insurer, though there shouldn’t be any problem with them so long as I’m clear with them what it’s registered as, should there? Didn’t realise it would remain an N1, but presumably being classified as a motor caravan means that 70 rather than 60 speed limit on dual carriageway applies?

and you may be subject to the lower speed limits for A roads and Dual Carriageways unless it is already dual purpose due to the 6 seats. What Body Type do you have on the V5 at the moment?
Body type is listed as “van/side windows”

At this moment, Yes they seem to be digging their heels in re changing category to Motor Home. Seems to me it all coincided with the new tax rules that where brought into force on the 1st June, I could be wrong. Don't know the specifics of the tax change but if you go to buy vand bits they are quoting the new vat rules?

Hi all if recently bought a t6 panel van and I've fitted 2+1 kombi seats with the correct under floor vw brackets question is can I change at dvla to kombi will put on insurance but also then can I go 70mph on motorway?

Back