Reclassification as a Motor-caravan: don’t bother

I sent my v5 in recently to change from 3 seater to 2 seater. Also ticked the change from PV to van with windows.
Came back all changed within a week.
Strange.....

@JOG factory Kombi, I did think about contesting it, but as a virtual 2 hour course was offered for £89, I took that option
Hmmm, I would have contested it! Your attendance on the course is reportable to your insurer (only if they ask though!) Sure, you don’t get points…! There is a standard/template response letter on the forum that can be sent in response to the intended prosecution notice that invariably closes down the discussion.

Hmmm, I would have contested it! Your attendance on the course is reportable to your insurer (only if they ask though!) Sure, you don’t get points…! There is a standard/template response letter on the forum that can be sent in response to the intended prosecution notice that invariably closes down the discussion.

I dont believe a speed/driving awareness course is disclosable to an insurer. It doesn't count as a claim or conviction although, much like a criminal caution, you accept guilt to qualify for one.
Apologies if I'm wrong.....

I dont believe a speed/driving awareness course is disclosable to an insurer. It doesn't count as a claim or conviction although, much like a criminal caution, you accept guilt to qualify for one.
Apologies if I'm wrong.....
Disclosable if they ask, I’m afraid!

I went on a course to avoid the points ….. 2 mind numbing hours ..:. At the end of it the course leader told us we have to tell our insurance company.

A lovely “SAC” (speed awareness course?) appeared on my insurance details. I’m sure the insurance company will argue that it is part of their assessment of risk.

I went on a course to avoid the points ….. 2 mind numbing hours ..:. At the end of it the course leader told us we have to tell our insurance company.

A lovely “SAC” (speed awareness course?) appeared on my insurance details. I’m sure the insurance company will argue that it is part of their assessment of risk.
Yes, they can ask but I've never come across it to date when applying for insurance....

If these courses work then surely you are a better informed and aware driver for attending the course therefore should reduce your risk in the eyes of the insurer! ;)

If these courses work then surely you are a better informed and aware driver for attending the course therefore should reduce your risk in the eyes of the insurer! ;)
The recidivism rate on “drink driving” courses is significantly lower than “speed awareness” courses and recognised by insurers

So from reading the posts, i guess there is no way to get my van reclassified, which seems bonkers.. do you get lower insurance with ' van with windows ' ?

Thanks

Daniel

Sounds a bit like lucky dip in a minefield :rolleyes: Mine is brand new professionally converted camper interior, sink, cooker, heating system, water tank, pop top, crash tested bed, 1 x sliding side window, microwave.......wonder if they would still class it as a panel van o_O

Didn't even consider the whole van v car speed limit debacle. I see that the subject has been heavily discussed previously, and for that reason, I'm out ! :speechless:
As long as it is fully converted as per requirements, you are legally entitled to travel at car speed limits… unless you’ve got a Crafter like me.

As long as it is fully converted as per requirements, you are legally entitled to travel at car speed limits… unless you’ve got a Crafter like me.
Does it not get judged on vehicle classification that would provided / generated by the dvla records?

Back