Reclassification as a Motor-caravan: don’t bother

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
Apparently the DVLA think that my Crafter is a van with windows and not a Motor Caravan, despite meeting EVERY ONE of their own criteria.

Whats the hope for a converted T6

I applied to have my Crafter V5 class changed only because it’s relevant to getting it up-plated, the speed limit isn’t affected because it’s over 3.05.

Here’s some of the pics that I sent (the interior is fully converted with the works)

What’s really puzzling me is that the purpose of the classification is that a police officer could tell what the vehicle is.

Well, I also supplied evidence to them that I was a retired traffic cop and that I’d be astonished if a police officer thought that it wasn’t a motor caravan!

Right, now to dispense with all the naff stickers.

BTW - apparently no appeal unless a change of evidence presented.

834AE253-2E87-4E20-B702-C90BBC9D9B49.jpegCB467B5D-E28C-4BF7-A267-EFEF3922B391.jpegE75CAA64-4A0A-4CDE-9757-755E0CC33FB4.jpeg57BD0882-2EE7-40AD-90D3-2E78D766BE36.jpeg42EDFC22-F240-4C9D-9764-6518A3FD18AB.jpeg

Apparently the DVLA think that my Crafter is a van with windows and not a Motor Caravan, despite meeting EVERY ONE of their own criteria.

Whats the hope for a converted T6

I applied to have my Crafter V5 class changed only because it’s relevant to getting it up-plated, the speed limit isn’t affected because it’s over 3.05.

Here’s some of the pics that I sent (the interior is fully converted with the works)

What’s really puzzling me is that the purpose of the classification is that a police officer could tell what the vehicle is.

Well, I also supplied evidence to them that I was a retired traffic cop and that I’d be astonished if a police officer thought that it wasn’t a motor caravan!

Right, now to dispense with all the naff stickers.

BTW - apparently no appeal unless a change of evidence presented.

View attachment 146326View attachment 146327View attachment 146328View attachment 146329View attachment 146331
I feel your pain , been there with my own conversion. So now if given a camera summons will go to court and then challenge it as I’m not a clerk for dvla and maybe the courts will kick them into acting.

37842778-3738-440E-B780-6199D2A3653A.jpeg

I'm hearing this more and more. There must have been an internal policy change which should be made more apparent. Mine is classed as a motor home but I think I was one of the 'lucky' ones under the older policy. A freedom of information request should surely reveal why this policy changed maybe?

Computer says no!:slow rofl:
It even has MOTORHOME in big letters down the side! :rofl:

I guess only converter built new registered vans can get this classification now but high makes it seem pretty pointless as a classification at all

The classification s determined by the courts, not DVLA!

This has been going on for a couple of years. Think they had a policy change but it's all a bit inconsistent, especially if you look at VW Beaches...

My brother has had same response back for his fiat conversion. Even put stickers all over saying "campervan". Somebody mentioned its all to do with the windows and not being like coach built ones.

This has been going on for a couple of years. Think they had a policy change but it's all a bit inconsistent, especially if you look at VW Beaches...
Yep, we have a Cali Beach…..makes no sense whatsoever

I feel your pain , been there with my own conversion. So now if given a camera summons will go to court and then challenge it as I’m not a clerk for dvla and maybe the courts will kick them into acting.

View attachment 146332
It wont even get to court, there is a letter template now that you can use to send to the police force who issue the speeding fine.

It wont even get to court, there is a letter template now that you can use to send to the police force who issue the speeding fine.
I won’t give them the option they can come and inspect the vehicle or I’ll challenge it in court I’m not here to take photos etc when the system is at fault.

I'm struggling to even get van with windows. They've gone silent on me!

How is this confusing for them?:9F62B705-8404-46C9-A4C7-611D1A6FAA00.jpegD1B9949A-D778-492C-91A5-335E929CCD07.jpegB1025575-BFC4-42A5-A5AE-2835C33027D9.jpeg

Mine came with 'van with windows' on the log book from new. It was a panel van. Go figure.

It's the inconsistencies in the 'new' rulings that annoy me the most.

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Mine came with 'van with windows' on the log book from new. It was a panel van. Go figure.

That cracked me up!

Mine was registered as a 3 seater van with windows and it was a 2 seater panel van.

But this is what I mean, if the DVLA classification doesn’t mean anything then why bother? My only problem is that they are the people that are supposed to hold the records of what the vehicle is as no one else does. Whether they class my camper as a camper or a van with windows or the starship enterprise doesn’t make much difference to me (unless I get a ticket) but what else are they recording incorrectly with is wrong and potentially dangerous?!

Well I was caught doing 70 on a dual carriageway, virtual speed awareness course completed ,

Back