SWB vs LWB: Pros and cons

Keaney

VIP Member
T6 Guru
after speaking to my local stealers he mentioned lwb are privy to higher charges in the ferry.

So figured it would be good to list the pros and cons for swb and lwb from what I know and if anyone can add more to the list from their experience please do so. Some are obvious:

SWB
Pros
  • Easier to park
  • Cheaper to convert
Cons
  • Smaller space inside
  • Less storage compartments

LWB
Pros
  • Bigger inside for campervan
  • Able to access cupboard when bed is down
  • Better for 4 adults to sleep in
Cons
  • Higher charges on the ferries
  • Sticks out in most car parks
  • Pyramid speed bumps could be a issue if lowered on ultras

Can anyone add more but exclude the daft ones like lwb look better etc

@Keaney Call a ferry company, as if it is able to be classed as a camper.. Bed seating cooker to them (not on logbook though), goes as a camper.. My lwb jumbo went for £84 return Dover-Calais, what's more important anyway a couple of quid or a more relaxed environment?

Oh lwb... LOOKS BETTER :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::sick::sick::sleep::sleep::sleep::whistle::whistle::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and new to Volkswagen Vans! The forum has been an invaluable resource, so a big thank you everyone. I am about to place a factory order for a new Kombi for a camper conversion. I am finding it hard to decide whether to go for a SWB or LWB. What would more experienced members recommend? I appreciate there is an awful amount of personal preference involved but I am sure others have had the same dilemma. The van will be used primarily for two people for longer trips, but also for more regular weekly trips closer to home, often with one person. Should resale value be one of my considerations or should I only consider all round practicality?
Any thoughts and advice would be very appreciated.

As you say it's very personal as only you know what you are planning to do with it etc
Have you decided on a layout, bed/furniture number of units etc whether you are wanting sink/cooker

@DPS , as you say, choice is personal, I went with a 32 lwb, for space and weight abilities.. I would suggest parking a swb and a lwb side by side, and opening the back on them.. The difference inside is huge, but is only really small on the outside.. You can see the length difference behind the sliding side door in front of rear wheel on them.. Also take both out for a test drive and see how you feel, I saw a lwb knitted out, and the furniture difference is huge m8! Well impressed, makes it very spacious inside when converted compared to a swb..

As you say it's very personal as only you know what you are planning to do with it etc
Have you decided on a layout, bed/furniture number of units etc whether you are wanting sink/cooker
Thanks for this. I have pretty well decided on the interior layout, I think it is fairly conventional.....side furniture with sink hob, fridge underneath and tall cupboard at rear.
Thank you for responding.

What about bed are you pop topping or rear bed, if you go rear how much space do you require in front/behind seats for storage this would be another key point for wheelbase

@DPS , as you say, choice is personal, I went with a 32 lwb, for space and weight abilities.. I would suggest parking a swb and a lwb side by side, and opening the back on them.. The difference inside is huge, but is only really small on the outside.. You can see the length difference behind the sliding side door in front of rear wheel on them.. Also take both out for a test drive and see how you feel, I saw a lwb knitted out, and the furniture difference is huge m8! Well impressed, makes it very spacious inside when converted compared to a swb..
I agree with the amount of extra space, I suppose I am unsure as to a) whether we need the extra space and b) whether the extra size of the vehicle will restrict the amount of regular everyday use it has. I guess an attraction of the SWB is that it has more car like proportions. Thanks for the advice.

The SWB is basically the size of a discovery or similar sized car. The LWB is 40cm longer and is noticeable when driving it - but is obviously something that most people adjust to soon enough.
We went with a SWB as there is only 2 of us and I wanted maximum ease of use for the 90%+ of the time that we're not camping in it.

I use my lwb daily, and never noticed any difference other than parking..but you soon get used to things, get what you need, and not what is the easy option is my advice..

The LWB definitely opens up more options for a different layout, i.e. most SWB conversions use the sort of layout you describe. Have a look at the layouts of some of the convertors that use LWB, e.g. Hillside's Cromford, to see what can be done with the extra space.

The LWB definitely opens up more options for a different layout, i.e. most SWB conversions use the sort of layout you describe. Have a look at the layouts of some of the convertors that use LWB, e.g. Hillside's Cromford, to see what can be done with the extra space.
Thank you. I will look that up.

I have a lwb, and have no issues parking etc, I would advise if your not used to a lwb spec front and rear parking sensors. But as per everyone else its all subjective. I would suggest you take 1 of each out and try driving round a supermarket car park and parking and go for the 1 you feel most comfortable driving.

You can never have enough space, you'll get used to the length and parking, just passed on my Ford Ranger Truck which I thought would be an issue round town and I lived with it.

as we will be using ours daily as out main vehicle we chose SWB.

If we were only using it for touring I'd have had a LWB no question

We went for a SWB for ease of driving around towns and parking. There is just the two of us, if there was more then we would have gone with a LWB for the extra space. There is loads of storage space in a SWB the issue is floor space when the bed is down but even with 4 people this could easily be overcome with a bit of cooperation from all the passengers

Back