Project "lovely little camper" underway

Sean O Leary

T6 Guru
started work on new van today and awaiting the arrival on comfort dash from Pauly, bit nerve wrecking dismantling a new van that's not even registered yet! I have a 2+1 from carpet floor and new bulk head if anyone interested, I will post them in relevant section. Carpet floor won't do me as I'm have 1+1 from seat so would be left with two 20mm wholes between seats

IMG_2711.JPG

Yep have to agree with the rest. Wish i could do jobs like that but i tend to be a bit heavy handed and like a bull at a gate so not really a job that is suited to me do you think :(

Last edited:
Ha thanks for all the comments all going to plan so far so good.
Haven't tackled the glove box install yet but confident it will work out ok, I will do the Center console install also. All the rest of the dash trim I have sent to be painted in piano black which will hopefully turn out well and perfect match to the gloss black of glove box and aha tray. Cost is reasonable when painting all other items and not putting in all new trim parts, glove box 100 and console about 315 other than that it's just my time I hope!

I was fortunate enough to have these items available to me at order stage. Given that you are able and confident to do so much of the work yourself, thus keeping the costs low, I am sure you'll be delighted with the results.
Great stuff, I think there will be many more owners over time who go this route.

@Sean O Leary that's a major project you are undertaking with a brand new unregistered van, just like major professional conversion firms :cool:. The major difference is that you are doing your own van :whistle: but in a very professional manner and all seems to be progressing well. You know exactly what you are looking to achieve just like others such as @Colinlp and @xpfloyd before you and I'm sure you will have seen their build threads too.

I wish you every success with your project and hope that all goes smoothly, but you know that others on the Forum are only to willing to help and advise with any questions that you may have as you progress :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Please keep us all updated and keep a detailed build thread with plenty of photos so that others may be inspired and learn from your experiences and expertise :cool::D

IMG_2715.JPG Ha ya it's a bite bite alright, can't wait to see the dealers face when it goes back in a couple of weeks for its PDI check before registration and handover, told him I wanted to do a few little jobs to it. Added on my new wheels which are VW BULLI edition wheels 18" and some 40mm H&R springs. The rear still looks a little high but I've only left it done off the jack so when I drive it they will settle into place better I hope as it was lower earlier on the 16" alloys.
What's the verdict on the shell choice, I would have loved the custom vans 20" but they would not suit our roads here.

View attachment 9282 Ha ya it's a bite bite alright, can't wait to see the dealers face when it goes back in a couple of weeks for its PDI check before registration and handover, told him I wanted to do a few little jobs to it. Added on my new wheels which are VW BULLI edition wheels 18" and some 40mm H&R springs. The rear still looks a little high but I've only left it done off the jack so when I drive it they will settle into place better I hope as it was lower earlier on the 16" alloys.
What's the verdict on the shell choice, I would have loved the custom vans 20" but they would not suit our roads here.
@Sean O Leary the choice is fine as you only need put Windows in where they suit your conversion. Wheels look good, the stance should look fine when settled and with extra weight when your conversion is finished and I like the Bulli badges to go with the wheels :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

View attachment 9282 Ha ya it's a bite bite alright, can't wait to see the dealers face when it goes back in a couple of weeks for its PDI check before registration and handover, told him I wanted to do a few little jobs to it. Added on my new wheels which are VW BULLI edition wheels 18" and some 40mm H&R springs. The rear still looks a little high but I've only left it done off the jack so when I drive it they will settle into place better I hope as it was lower earlier on the 16" alloys.
This will really play with the dealers mind, he'll probably offer you a job:thumbsup:
Haven't seen those wheels before:):thumbsup:, did they come from your VW dealer?

Cut out for windows today, I went for the OEM Vw sliders and they are definitely more complicated to install than fixed or aftermarket glass. It requires additional frame to be cut which is not an issues but quiet tricky to get perfect and time consuming, I can see why a lot of companies don't offer these and go aftermarket but I think when doing windows it's worth the extra time/effort as the OEM do look nice. I kept measurements and plenty of pics if anyone is going to tackle OEM sliders as these will certainly safe you a lot of time and headaches, I am glad to have that dirty job behind me. As well as removing that bloody welded/braised in bulkhead why they couldn't use all bolts!!!!
Anyway back to it gotta file and prime those edges for windows! IMG_2732.JPG

Back