Project 400k - T5.1 to T6.1 facelift

Thanks for your message. The T6.1 front halogen lights should work ok do you think? I’ll have to wait for aftermarket LED ones if I decide to go for LEDs.

Regarding the rear lights apart from pin change (as Evgeni mentioned) the nicer LED rear lights should work ok? Or are they from CAN BUS too? Thanks
The rear ones are not connected to the CAN BUS. You will need to remove bulb monitoring on the rear side lights and brake lights and also fit a resistor to stop hyperflash.

Thanks for your message. The T6.1 front halogen lights should work ok do you think? I’ll have to wait for aftermarket LED ones if I decide to go for LEDs.

Regarding the rear lights apart from pin change (as Evgeni mentioned) the nicer LED rear lights should work ok? Or are they from CAN BUS too? Thanks
T6.1 front halogen lamps have only 3 bulbs comparing with 5 bulbs on T6 H7 setup.
I would say it is possible but you wouldn't be able to feed the lamp directly from BCM.
Some wiring modifications plus hardware addition will be required.

If I were you I would go for T6 front with T6 OEM LED headlamps.
T6 LED headlamps are better than T6.1 LED ones. T6 has much better light pattern and more powerful output. I didn't get a chance to measure it but that is mine subjective opinion.

If I were you I would go for T6 front with T6 OEM LED headlamps.
T6 LED headlamps are better than T6.1 LED ones.

Thanks Robert. I have had a few Bmw in past with decent xenon headlights and it really does help at night. I always wanted the T5.1 Xenons retro fitted to my van, but it was around £2000+!!!

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge on bulb and light patterns of the T6/T6.1 LED lights that is a lot more bulbs in the unit!.

I think as the difference in front end parts cost to create a T6 vs T6.1 is so negligible, for time being I’ll stick with the standard T6.1 halogen headlights and maybe upgrade the bulbs (fogs too). I’ll wait to see what aftermarket parts get developed in next 6 months before winter! Busfest hopefully as I live in Malvern! (Wishful thinking tho! ) If anyone has had found a good place for quality upgrade bulbs (plenty on eBay I know) I’d be grateful.

Also regarding the removal of rear bulb monitoring, is that something that a mechanic with a VAGCOM computer can easily do although having said that I imagine some change to wiring when adding the resistor work. I’ll have a search on the forum in case this has been discussed before. Thanks

Thanks Robert. I have had a few Bmw in past with decent xenon headlights and it really does help at night. I always wanted the T5.1 Xenons retro fitted to my van, but it was around £2000+!!!

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge on bulb and light patterns of the T6/T6.1 LED lights that is a lot more bulbs in the unit!.

I think as the difference in front end parts cost to create a T6 vs T6.1 is so negligible, for time being I’ll stick with the standard T6.1 halogen headlights and maybe upgrade the bulbs (fogs too). I’ll wait to see what aftermarket parts get developed in next 6 months before winter! Busfest hopefully as I live in Malvern! (Wishful thinking tho! ) If anyone has had found a good place for quality upgrade bulbs (plenty on eBay I know) I’d be grateful.

Also regarding the removal of rear bulb monitoring, is that something that a mechanic with a VAGCOM computer can easily do although having said that I imagine some change to wiring when adding the resistor work. I’ll have a search on the forum in case this has been discussed before. Thanks
I retrofitted OEM LED headlamps to my T6 myself and it cost me approx. £1200.
More details here ---> T6 LED headlight retrofit?

For rear LED lights you should probably read these 2 threads:

and if retrofitting VW T6 LED headlights is too expensive, then maybe you could consider having your H4 / H7 headlights upgraded with EM Tuning.

Or alternatively DIY.

Reactions: mmi
Back