Price of diesel in your area?

With BP recording record level profits and the prices near enough at record levels, someone surely is clearly cashing in, my money is on the wholesalers or suppliers. I would be good to know how many wholesalers there really are? do they have a monopoly or have they just all agreed to increase their prices knowing people don't have a choice but to pay it.
Maybe cynical of me I know, but in a day and age where we are constantly being told that prices for everything are going up it makes you wonder how many products are increasing to cover COVID losses or with profiteering as they know we the public willingly accept increased costs as we have been conditioned to do so. rant over sorry
Transparency would be useful to help apportion culpability accurately, but then I guess that's exactly why there is no transparency. :rolleyes:

Before pandemic profit was 3-4 pence per LT.
Now we are talking about 7-8 pence per LT which is 100% increase in profit. You tell me what is greedy.
Ok then a month ago we were selling at cost to try to keep our customers, we were still more expensive than the big Shell site down the road, most people look for the cheapest fuel, so obviously, we didn't sell much for a few weeks, so that cost us. this has happened on more than a few occasions, many we are only making 1-2p a ltr to try and keep somewhere near the station down the road.
As we do not have large storage tanks the cost to us is on the spot so fluctuates a lot more, not unlike the supermarkets and big multi-owned sites that buy in advance millions of liters at a cheaper rate.
But you cannot keep everyone happy

Last edited:
Ok then a month ago we were selling at cost to try to keep our customers, we were still more expensive than the big Shell site down the road, most people look for the cheapest fuel, so obviously, we didn't sell much for a few weeks, so that cost us. this has happened on more than a few occasions, many we are only making 1-2p a ltr to try and keep somewhere near the station down the road.
As we do not have large storage tanks the cost to us is on the spot so fluctuates a lot more, not unlike the supermarkets and big multi-owned sites that buy in advance millions of liters at a cheaper rate.
But you cannot keep everyone happy
The thing for me is this.
I always try to use a local company, as I do for my vehicle servicing etc. My local guy looks after all of my vehicles, I trust him, and trust his work. I also appreciate, that as with any business, you need to make a profit.
But, for fuel, which is available many places, and which I may spend up to around a thousand pounds a week, in any part of the country, I will always try and get the best price.
It amazes me that I can buy fuel cheaper than you.
That is just crazy.....
What also does not help, is the difference in prices across the country, which is seemingly random. Some small indi`s selling cheaper than supermarkets, and some at 10-15p more than supermarkets.
Someone is making big bucks, and the average Joe is paying the price

I filled my Q5 yesterday at 174.8 yesterday. Went past the same garage today and it was back down to 169.5. Glad I only needed a quarter of a tank or so to brim it yesterday it as the bill was still approaching £50.

At moment it's £159.7 but changing nearly every day. I dreaded not so long ago about it hitting £1.50, now I can't wait for it to be that price.

Just up at Mablethorpe, diesel 1.59 at 2 local independent garages, 172 in Nottingham sainsbury's this morning, absolutely disgusting

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Back