Powering The Stereo From The Leisure Battery

t0mb0

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi,

I want to use the stereo from the leisure battery when parked up and camping. It's easy enough to run the supply and install a manual switch (or maybe a relay) to switch between the leisure and vehicle batteries but I'm wondering how the auto-switch off after 20mins or so of the ignition off works. Possibilities are:

1) It just cuts the power in a certain time after ignition off - this would be easy as the switched supply from the leisure battery would solve the issue.

2) The stereo power feed stays on but a separate ignition feed goes off which starts a timer in the stereo to turn off after a preset time. This would be fine too, I'd just run a feed from the leisure battery switch into the ignition input, along with a couple of diodes to prevent connecting the leisure battery feed and vehicle ignition circuitry.

3) It's some sneaky canbus thing. This would be more tricky and require more thinking!

Does anyone know how it works? Does the quadlock connector have an ignition input which would imply it might be (2) above? If it's (3), does anyone know any coding or hardware tricks which might work?

@Absolut5 would know. But I could also look at the circuit, maybe in the morning..

Last edited:
It’s not power related it’s controlled over canbus and has no ign live, the headunit just times out

It’s not power related it’s controlled over canbus and has no ign live, the headunit just times out

D’oh! Could be difficult to override then! Are you aware of any coding entries that might help?

You can over ride the time out if you have Media Control as an option but the head unit will only run from the starter battery so it’s a bit dangerous IMO

I was thinking of rigging my aftermarket head unit to the leisure battery, so I can run a projector from the back and have the audio coming through the van speakers. Don't have anything like Media Control though (as far as I know). @Deaky do you know if the 'Off' Signal is sent to the headhunt or to the power source via a relay or similar?

The factory headunit times out, no ignition behind headunit as that and other features are done via CanBus

No harm running the power from the leisure battery but it will switch off after 20 mins,

Aftermarket headunits are not a problem to do and we supply loons for this

Back