Powering An Imac

Lee

T6 Pro
I appreciate this might not be recommended....

essentially, I'm working full time in my van, I have my iMac in there pluggined in via EHU on my drive. not everyone's cup of tea but it's given us a room back in the house and honestly, it's working out really well. so, looking to venture off the drive but still use the iMac. I currently have a typical camper conversion setup, leisure battery, solar panel. what do I need to up the power and use bigger appliances like an iMac, maybe a generator is the way forward?

thanks

Although relatively low power for its size you probably could do with a small, quiet, sine-wave generator plus I would also recommend a small UPS between the gen and the iMac to further smooth out the waveform and provide time to shutdown if you run out of fuel. You could use an inverter, but these are hard on the batteries and you will be running the engine often to recharge.

There are so many small generators on the market, good ones are fuel injected, there are many claiming they are quiet, but I would search the caravan press for a quiet one as they are a fussy bunch when it come to noise :)
APC do a nice small ups, I have one of these under my desk. http://amzn.eu/h3JLqmA

I have a 12 v adaptor to charge my mac that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Never had an issue with it and it cost about £40.
I'll take a pic of the box later today. It works really well for me as I don't have 240v in my van.

I have a 12 v adaptor to charge my mac that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Never had an issue with it and it cost about £40.
I'll take a pic of the box later today. It works really well for me as I don't have 240v in my van.
OP said he has an iMac not a macbook..

Ah, didn't notice that.
Ok so this won't work for that but it works great for a MacBook for anyone who may be interested and doesn't require an inverter.
Me too, I have 12v chargers for phone, camera batteries, laptop, iPad. I often see people asking which inverter to buy to charge their phone or laptop and they're just not necessary, in fact it's far less efficient with an inverter too.

Back