Power Station substitution

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
This question puts me at risk of seeming stupid or at least of being naive with an overactive imagination.
At some time, hopefully, not this year, when I need to change my AGM leisure battery, I’ll get a lithium one. Its lightness and portability is worth the extra expense. 200w of solar power on the roof keeps my present battery topped up enough for many dark hours of TV, charging and running the fridge, specially if it’s been sunny. What I don’t like though, is the immovable nature of the battery. The compartment is under the fridge, only 11” high and full of battery, inverter, buzz bar, big fuse and shunt. I have a rear galley opposite so less than a foot of floor space to work in. Disconnecting everything including the sensors and inverter is a pain, literally, as I’m squashed in a very tight space. However the awkwardness and sheer effort of lifting and removing 22kgs out of it’s restraints in such a confined space is becoming very difficult as I get older and weaker.
Probably like most other people I’ve been watching with interest the evolution of portable power stations. I have no spare space in my SWB T6 so cannot justify buying one as a useful indulgence. I’ve been wondering though…could I, when the time comes, replace my regular AGM with a power station? My Renogy 50a DC to DC charger and MPPT unit can be changed to work with lithium and assuming the actual charging connections can be adapted, is it possible to replace the present AGM battery with a correct sized power station with the same Ah? This would not only have all the usual plug ins for Dc input and output but could replace my separate inverter. All connections in one place.
The biggest advantage for me though is portability. If the right sized generator/battery can be substituted and is easily removable, when necessary, its manoeuvrability would be life changing. To my back and temperament. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
best option for you is to swap your AGM for a 100ah lithium.

the portable options charge to slowly to be practical for a leisure setup - but are great as an addition to a fitted leisure setup.

Thanks Lee. That's what I planned to do. I'm always having these weird and outrageous ideas though. One day I'll have one that really works and when it catches on I'll make a million. :mexican wave:

Reactions: CAB
I do think the power bank manufacturers are missing a trick here - the "vanlife" market isn't that small and the idea of a medium sized power pack with a "docking station" that could be hardwired could find enough takers.

And it could be quite simple. Just a rectangular unit with all the connection on the front and a handle a bit like the removable head units back in the day but a bit bigger.

Don't bother with 240v connections, just have a socket or two on the front. Have a 12v 30a current input and a 12v 30a current output for vehicle side wiring. It's all microprocessor controlled so doing smart charging by sensing engine run would make wiring simple.

Don't bother having 240v charger in the portable bit, and probably don't bother in the van docking station. Just have a simpler docking station or adaptor plate for home charging.

Now that's something I could get excited about for anyone with contacts at Ecoflow/Jackery/Renogy/Clayton/Etc

Back