Pigeons on my roof and under solar panels- how to get rid?

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
As the title suggests, I have some solar panels on the roof of my home. This last couple of weeks I have noticed a lot of bird crap around on the floor and there seem to suddenly be a few pigeons constantly on my roof. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

Apart from buying an air rifle and a bit of target practice?

As the title suggests, I have some solar panels on the roof of my home. This last couple of weeks I have noticed a lot of bird crap around on the floor and there seem to suddenly be a few pigeons constantly on my roof. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

Apart from buying an air rifle and a bit of target practice?
Are they actually crapping on the solar panels though? There's a house opposite with solar panels and loads of pigeons but they always seem to stand around rather than on them, presumably because the panels themselves are too slippy. I can't really think of any pigeon-specific bird deterrents, though.

Are they actually crapping on the solar panels though? There's a house opposite with solar panels and loads of pigeons but they always seem to stand around rather than on them, presumably because the panels themselves are too slippy. I can't really think of any pigeon-specific bird deterrents, though.
Strange thing is the panels have been on 10 years and I've never had a problem before. I will keep an eye on them from crapping on the panels.
I thought about putting some sort of mesh between the panel and the tiles, but to be honest Im not that great with heights.

We are planning to have Solar panels installed later this year and a mesh screen around them to prevent birds going underneath is an option. Considering the mixed experiences of others in our vicinity we will probably pay to have these installed from the outset.

It seems like you have been fortunate these last few years. Now it’s time to have someone install the mesh screens!

I meant put the plastic bird under the panels where the pigeons go. This shouldn't affect the birds in your garden as they wont see it if hidden a bit under panels.
I like the wildlife in my yard too.

They are in the area because there is an easy food source. You’ll probably find somebody is loading up a bird table with food.
Birds don’t need feeding in the summer, bird tables spread disease between species but try telling Ethel down the road that;)

Had this on my roof a couple of years ago. Put metal netting around them and then spikes on the ridge. unfortunately it did mean that a few pigeons died as they were too young but it did the trick.

Both me and my neighbours have the same problem (if it is really a problem), our 'visitors' are white doves.

On the plus side, we both had the panels fitted eight years ago as outright purchase. The income did completely pay for them in seven years and now it covers all our energy costs. We weren't 'fleeced' by the flash installation companies who were quoting well in excess of £10k for installation, we paid £5k each! Good job well done and we will put-up with the birds.

Both me and my neighbours have the same problem (if it is really a problem), our 'visitors' are white doves.

On the plus side, we both had the panels fitted eight years ago as outright purchase. The income did completely pay for them in seven years and now it covers all our energy costs. We weren't 'fleeced' by the flash installation companies who were quoting well in excess of £10k for installation, we paid £5k each! Good job well done and we will put-up with the birds.
We did the same. Also divert excess energy into the hot water tank.

Yachts and boats often put a plastic owl or hawk in the area you want to keep birds away from .

I can assure you these do not work. I put one up and my neighbours tell me that they have seen pigeons sitting on its head.

The only way to keep them out is to have mesh put all the way around the panels ..................

Looks like it’s mesh around the netting. Hope Its not expensive. I don’t fancy climbing on the roof myself. Not great with heights.

Chicken wire.
Just half roll up a small length and wedge under the edges of the panels.
Wire twists to keep them together

if they are under the panels use a jet wash,my mate had the same problem.
Get them out and use chicken wire ,they may crap on the van if you don't.

Looks like it’s mesh around the netting. Hope Its not expensive. I don’t fancy climbing on the roof myself. Not great with heights.

Prepare yourself for some expense as scaffolding is probably required as the installers will need to get all the way around the panels - AND get them to check the gap if you have 2 rows because the dam pigeons can get down the gap I left when we installed the panels........

But remember that nesting pigeons can damage the cables ............. so prevention is far better than another expensive cure

Back