Pigeons on my roof and under solar panels- how to get rid?

Prepare yourself for some expense as scaffolding is probably required as the installers will need to get all the way around the panels - AND get them to check the gap if you have 2 rows because the dam pigeons can get down the gap I left when we installed the panels........

But remember that nesting pigeons can damage the cables ............. so prevention is far better than another expensive cure
An air rifle is beginning to sound a better and better solution. o_O

not if your neighbour thinks they are the stazi
Its legal to kill thinks like grey squirrels, pigeons rats (vermin) on your own property with air guns. I already looked that up. Just cant shoot stuff on the neighbours property without permission.

I think a few neighbours might have something to say if you start firing a gun in a populated area, speaking from experience here. You’ll be blamed for every car dent, missing cat and cracked flower pot within a 4 mile radius.

Air rifle with a silencer and night vision scope, so the neighbours don’t see you do it.
For humanely killing pigeons you need a decent air rifle and scope, you are looking at spending hundreds of pounds. The only way to be sure of dropping a pigeon dead is a headshot, otherwise it'll fly away and die somewhere else. Headshots require good accuracy.
In any case, firing an air rifle at birds on a roof is only safe in a very rural, isolated location. What goes up must come down, if you miss the bird that pellet aint coming down within your property unless to are a big landowner.

My neighbour is a pest control expert. Does all the nets and mesh on prisons, Amazon buildings etc. Just poked my head over the fence and asked the question. He said 30mm square galvanised mesh. Cut to the right size and tek screw it with stainless washers to the ali around the edge of the solar panels. Fit mesh into the tiles. It’s rigid enough so the pests can’t bend it by trying to get underneath

My neighbour is a pest control expert. Does all the nets and mesh on prisons, Amazon buildings etc. Just poked my head over the fence and asked the question. He said 30mm square galvanised mesh. Cut to the right size and tek screw it with stainless washers to the ali around the edge of the solar panels. Fit mesh into the tiles. It’s rigid enough so the pests can’t bend it by trying to get underneath
Thanks. That I could do if I wasnt a bit stressed about heights and being up on my roof :confused:

You’ll bounce!
Ladder to gutter height. Push up bottom row of tiles, tie off ladder. Climb up and push tiles up to get footholds. You won’t fall as the human body has a built in survival mechanism lol

You’ll bounce!
Ladder to gutter height. Push up bottom row of tiles, tie off ladder. Climb up and push tiles up to get footholds. You won’t fall as the human body has a built in survival mechanism lol
Don't forget to poke the toes of your boots through the roofing felt and puncture it as you tread on each batten... had that on the last house where I guess some hero had put up the TV aerial as a favour but left a trail of destruction visible from the loft.

Air rifle with a silencer and night vision scope, so the neighbours don’t see you do it.
you can shoot an air rifle in your own garden but the pellet must not go off your property .

then the 50 meter rule being from a public highway including footpaths if to cause a disturbance

If you want to catch pigeons or any other slow, ground feeding bird it’s easily done with a drop net.
Make a square frame approx 3m x 3m (1 1/2” waste pipe is perfect).
Cover the frame with a net.
Put the framed net in an open area like a lawn.
Prop one side up by approx 1m with a stick with a pull cord attached.
Put bait; corn, seed, bread etc under the frame.
Let the buggers feed and get used to it.
Next day pull the cord.
Good silent poaching method.

Personally I think in the pigeon v solar panel war the pigeon is unlikely to do any damage.

Bite the bullet and pay a roofer to go up and sort it with mesh or chicken wire. He won't need scaffolding and will know how to climb the roof without puncturing the "felt" underneath. It's a "one off" job and I doubt you'll have to go back to it. I'm at that stage in life where I too avoid going up on the roof - 10 years ago I'd have thought nothing of it!

I feel bad about derailing this thread with a serious post. :think smile bounce:

however I’ve been quoted from £300 up to £750 plus VAT to put wire mesh around the panels after clearing out the flying rats and nests plus spray with pesticide.
ps the shit and birds does damage the surface of the panels and wires underneath.

I feel bad about derailing this thread with a serious post. :think smile bounce:

however I’ve been quoted from £300 up to £750 plus VAT to put wire mesh around the panels after clearing out the flying rats and nests plus spray with pesticide.
ps the shit and birds does damage the surface of the panels and wires underneath.
Jeez, they like to hike up the price down your way! I didn’t realise you have a clean-up job to do before fitting mesh or chicken wire

More realistic hawks are available.
In fact you can rent a real one

Back