Performance tuning my 110PS T6.1

Ralpher

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi folks, I'm buying the new(ish) Travelinlite rear bumper conversion along with the exhaust system (complete) but feel that there's a need to improve the engine's breathing too.
I have an adjustable chip module on the engine already and was thinking of replacing the air filter with a K&N system (or similar).

Anyone have any thought or advice please? I don't want to hear about "a friend's mate's uncle's dog had a..." Just real world stuff please :)

I’ve always used K and N filters. They are excellent in allowing a little more airflow into the intake system with no adverse effects.

Last edited:
K&N 33-2867 is what you need. Imperceptible gains on my Revo remapped 204, but it does stay better for longer where the paper ones clog. More intake noise. I don't think the intake is the restrictive bit.

Best thing I did was gut the DPF and have it coded out. Removes the turbo lag you didn't know you had too....

K&N Airfilter.jpg

Also stops a few pesky fault codes. Not sure about gutting the cat next, or just sticking in a 100 cell Miltek one. Next job in my copious spare time.

Personally I'd ditch the plug in chip box. ECU has no idea it's there and the box just interferes with what the ECU is trying to do. Get a proper map on bud.

That was my original intention, after driving for 250 miles to Pendle Performance though and being told "oh, it's the Bosch system, I can't do anything with that pal" by the super-friendly proprietor, I gave up and bought the tuning box. (long and VERY annoying story short).

A tuning box is the worst possible way of getting more power/torque - ie lots of the ecu parameters are overridden causing numerous long term issues . From my experience a rolling road remapping tailored to the vehicle offers a reliable long lasting reliability.

That was my original intention, after driving for 250 miles to Pendle Performance though and being told "oh, it's the Bosch system, I can't do anything with that pal" by the super-friendly proprietor, I gave up and bought the tuning box. (long and VERY annoying story short).
Was you booked in. We have a waiting list and tell people if it can be done

HI, yes, of course I was booked in, only a complete f***wit would make a 500-mile round trip with no appointment.
I posted the full moan about Pendle on here at the time but it's an experience I'm trying to forget, on a par with my first blinding hangover.
I was told that the Bosch system on the 110 HP VW Transporter T6.1 can't be accessed and that he had spent 100 hours trying to access the Bosch ECU and failed (as had all the other mere mortals).

IF I could find a place with a rolling road who could do the job, I'd jump at the chance (unless it was Pendle, who even had the audacity to steal my £50 deposit, saying he would remember I'd paid it, if by chance he ever managed to be able to access this system. He can keep the £50, he obviously needs it more than me.

HI, yes, of course I was booked in, only a complete f***wit would make a 500-mile round trip with no appointment.
I posted the full moan about Pendle on here at the time but it's an experience I'm trying to forget, on a par with my first blinding hangover.
I was told that the Bosch system on the 110 HP VW Transporter T6.1 can't be accessed and that he had spent 100 hours trying to access the Bosch ECU and failed (as had all the other mere mortals).

IF I could find a place with a rolling road who could do the job, I'd jump at the chance (unless it was Pendle, who even had the audacity to steal my £50 deposit, saying he would remember I'd paid it, if by chance he ever managed to be able to access this system. He can keep the £50, he obviously needs it more than me.
Sorry I asked. I get people randomly turn up from miles away is why I asked.

He hasn't tried doing anything. It's down to the tool manufacturers who make the hardware we use to access the ECU and map it. Everyone who offers mapping is in the same boat until the tool manufacturers crack the anti write software on the ECU. Bosch make some of the finest car electronics in the world and with that anti write software that matches so they have a tough challenge.

That said I've spoken to 2 of the manufacturers we use and they assure me they are close but would not give me an ETA for the solution.

Why are you wanting a rolling road? A live data logged map is just as good in fact I'd say better. You cannot generate real world environments in what's essentially a lab, whether that be for Motorsport or just a general boost in performance. If you could all of the Motorsport industry wouldn't spend 1000's of hours in a Dyno cell mapping their vehicles only to have there boffins tweak the vehicle the minute they get to a track. Juat a bit of insight and opinion from someone in the industry.

Certainly didn't think you where a F**kwit

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the info, I was going on what I'd been told regarding rolling roads and Dynos.
Well, if and when these guys crack the code, message me and I will bring the van up for a tune.

Thanks. Ralph :)

Back