Just make sure you use plenty of sealant around and in each hole in the roof, otherwise they will leak.

Pete

These ones came with a gasket to stick around the hole before you tighten them down and then used ptfe tape around the bolts

I would still use sealant as well. There are too many stories of these leaking (mine don’t).

Pete

Anybody know what way round the mounting brackets go under the feet on the OMTEC roof rails ? Comes with instructions but they don't show that detail. I'm assuming you mount them flat side up so water doesn't pool (i.e. like the one on the right of the pic). Rear brackets are marked ARKA1 and ARKA2 and have two possibly mounting positions when flat side up.

Any help greatly appreciated....

IMG_2182.JPG

Was pleasantly surprised that the VW Genuine Roof Rails are only £80.

Was not happy to pay £150 for the cross bars that fit onto them though.

So my question is - Can you fit aftermarket Cross Bars Onto Genuine VW rails?

If so does anyone know which make

Thanks

View attachment 4734

I am looking to purchase the genuine roof rails... I am struggling to find them on the VW website... Could you please post a link.

Thanks for the help

Hiya,

I ordered a set from VW Marshalls in sunny Scunny for 180 quid, rails and bars. Good for up to 75kg and I'm very happy with them. Three day wait from ordering to collecting them.

I'm after some rails from vw as they hold up to 75kg unlike the rails on ebay but the dealer near me said they only do them in black. I'm after the silver bars
Does anybody know if vw do them?

Bear in mind that the bolts each screw into a captive nut, held within the roof structure. That captive nut can move around a little, so sealant on the bolt threads is not enough. You have to put sealant all around the hole in the roof skin, so that it goes down and around the captive nut as well as in the threads. There is much greater scope for water to leak around the sides of the captive nut, than down the threads.
Also use the washers provided, or the ones that come with the van that sit under the bolt head.

Pete

I must have been lucky with mine as on the two Van's I've 'roof railed ' I've only put a dab in to the bolt hole and I've never had a problem with water ingress.

Cheers, exactly what I was after! The VW dealer in Bristol absolutely useless , 2 calls this week chasing for a price and nobody has got back to me.

Download the transporter accessories brochure From the vwcv website. It’s all on there. If you get the genuine VW ones, check the contents of the roof rail box. You should have 6 plastic feet/spacers that fit in the roof channel. I had 2 missing, they were a nightmare to get replaced, and you can’t fit anything until you have them

Back