200kg roof rails...

Gaz Lee

Hi All thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm looking for some roof rails that can handle around 200kgs. I have a lwb shuttle and I want to put a roof top tent on it. The tent is 36kgs but then obviously the weight of myself and partner would be added to it. I don't want a commercial looking rack as it's a personal vehicle. Whatever I decide on needs to stay on the roof as I will mastic the fittings to stop the leaks.
Ideally black rails and removable Cross beams.
Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure you will find roof rails explicitly rated to 200kg, given the limit of the van itself is 150kg.
I suspect the VW Omtec OEM rails are going to be best. This has been covered already on the forum, so a quick search may throw something up.

Pete

The rails themselves are solid, however I'd be reluctant to put 200kg on just 2 cross bars, better off getting 2 sets, so 4 bars in total to spread the load.

Thread 'LWB Roof Rails' FREE - LWB Roof Rails

Last edited:
I had the same thought process as you. In the end I went with a Front Runner rack. No drilling required, not a builders rack and it’s solid. I don’t have any pics, have google but be sat down when you look at prices. Quality doesn’t come cheap

The front-runner rack would be my choice, but it depends on the roof tent you go for; if you have the Howling Moon fold-over type tent, they are better on a flat platform or rails as they need to fold out flat. Some adventure racks don't have the rear rail to allow the tent to fold out at the rear. The pop-up maggolina types only need rails, but I have used 4 rails in the past for a large maggnolia, but only used 2 for the lighter model and that was fine on a Touareg.

The stated full load is only for driving, when static (camping) the extra weight is not an issue as the max load on the rails is to take into account the shock loading when driving, which will only be the weight of the roof tent..

Last edited:
I had the same thought process as you. In the end I went with a Front Runner rack. No drilling required, not a builders rack and it’s solid. I don’t have any pics, have google but be sat down when you look at prices. Quality doesn’t come cheap
Thanks Aggers. They're serious dosh aren't they might have to rethink my plans.
I'm really after rails and cross bars but doesn't look like what I need is out there.
Thanks all for your help

I'm really after rails and cross bars but doesn't look like what I need is out there.
Thanks all for your help
I believe the bars max load is while on the move, a set at 50KG or 75KG per bar would be fine for your tent and using while stationary. You would need to look at the transporters static maximum

We are looking at a roof tent ourselves at the minute......

Just got this off the Transporter spec sheet..........

Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 15.27.37.png

Further update the tent manufacturers say that the figures above are a dynamic limit for in transit and that the actual static load can sometimes be 5 times this amount.......

Rhino rack....???
I use one and I'd guess the rack itself is easily capable of 200kg. Permitted or not, that's a different question.
8 fixing points and so I can't see a better option for a rack.

Anyone running about with in excess of 150kg on the roof?

I have the front runner rack but the roof weigh limit is actually quite prohibitive, as the rack itself is 50kg. I have removed my spare from the roof as with it, plus the roof box and awning attached I had about 10-15kg left allowable for luggage.

Would like to add the Thule foothill but it seems kind of pointless given I’d be as well remove the box since I couldn't load it anyway.

Interesting that each pair of mounts seems to be good for 50kg but when using all 4 you hit the 150kg limit.

Thanks all for your help
Good- morning- I’m in the same boat - have a lwb t6.1 Shuttle and looking for a roof tent.
Can you please tell me how you got on? Any pictures/advice?
Many thanks
Neil

Hi, I am always going over 150kg on the roof. I've had full house fulls of carpets many times and never had an issue. I do have a full length rack though.

20240111_155238.jpg

Back