Help defining what I need please (van and upgrades)

hunta

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hoping to get some input from others as I try to see the wood for the trees.

Family of 4, twins aged 8. Currently we have no van. The plan is to trade in the Skoda estate for a Transporter for day-to-day family duties and short weekend breaks, typically a night or maybe two. We hired a full conversion, traditional layout last year for a week and found it a mixed experience. Kids loved it but the narrow, less than flat rock & roll double meant the adults didn't get a lot of sleep, and we prefer to eat out than cook in the van. We also didn't like having the kids way back, especially if this is to be for non-camping trip use as well.

Current thinking therefore is to keep it as simple and wallet-friendly as possible:
  • Van: T5 / T6 Kombi with tailgate for bike rack, SWB for daily driving
  • Boot box (slidepod or similar) for basic storage / kitchen (cool box for milk, somewhere to brush teeth and a burner for a kettle)
  • Kids' sleeping: Pop-top roof
  • Adult sleeping: full-width platform over folded rear seats
Questions:
  • Am I right to be thinking Kombi? Is there another way to achieve what I'm after, e.g. panel van with conversion that ends up being cheaper?
  • Adult bed needs to be full length platform. I'm not convinced by part-platform relying on the folded rear seats to make up the length as can't see how this is going to be flat enough to be comfy.
  • Various Kombi models seem to have different options for the folding rear seat. 2+1, full folding, partial folding... Not sure whether what I needs goes with certain models to help narrow the search?
  • Do I need to worry about insulation? Pretty sure we'll be fair weather campers and won't be using it over the winter.
  • Do I need to think about electrics? As above, don't think we'll need a heater and can't imagine needing very much for a night or two. I'm sure we can jerry-rig some rechargeable lights and charge phones during the day.
We're not really into making it all super slick, just need something that's really convenient so we use it regularly - jump in the van Friday afternoon for easy overnight mini adventures (before the kids are all grown up!).

Any thoughts on all this would be much appreciated!

Oh, and is this what people mean by a day van conversion??!

Reactions: CAB
Also, would be really useful to be able to see some of this stuff in the flesh. We're south Bucks, so any stockists / manufacturers nearby (bed especially)?

Probably better off getting a panel van and converting to your needs. Pop top, works well with young kids, you can throw them up there out of the way. Front bench seat is uncomfortable so replace with a single, I have 1+1+1 seats in the back, easier to take out, also if you remove the middle one and the kids sit in the outside two they have a window each and can’t fight while your driving. If your going to use campsites electric hookup is worth doing to run kettle etc. You should only need two side windows and windows in the rear door(s). Definitely do insulation and sound proofing, helps keep the van warm when it’s cold and cool when it’s hot. Plenty of examples on here of day van conversations. Try and buy the best base van you can afford, do the basics, use then add as you work out what you need. An awning works well as extra storage when camping. Good luck

You could look at camper king near Banbury for ideas they do various layouts but I suspect from what your asking you want a sliding bed/seat) so might be better off speaking to a company that will build you exactly what you want. Other than camper king the only company I can think of that holds a range of vans to view is motor home dealer group near ringwood in Dorset most builders don’t have stock as there flying out the door

Go to somewhere like bustest (link above) Check out the Hundreds of vans there and see the retail Units showing their wears. It’s the biggest gathering in Europe so they say.

You can go just for the day. And its fun!

Buying and converting a T6 is an expensive business. As you want a pop-top I can't see you having much change from what £35k - £40k and any decent converter currently has a 12 month waiting list.

For the odd night here and there I'd probably just buy an inflatable tent and keep the car.

The RIB and Reimo beds do fold down flat.
But lumpy, in my experience... They're popular though so presumably something wrong there.

Do they come full width (the one we rented was ¾ I think to allow for side cupboards), and can they sit a normal car distance behind the front seats?

The RIB and Reimo beds do fold down flat.

Agree, our Reimo seat/bed is flat. We use an extra inch of memory foam topper with it and find that pretty good.

What design of seat/bed isn’t flat? Seems a strange design decision given being flat is one of the major things that makes a bed a bed…

Agree, our Reimo seat/bed is flat. We use an extra inch of memory foam topper with it and find that pretty good.

What design of seat/bed isn’t flat? Seems a strange design decision given being flat is one of the major things that makes a bed a bed…

Oh, I’ve just answered my own question by googling the ‘rock and roll’ style beds referenced by the OP where you seem to actually lie on the seat side! They don’t look very comfortable, but they look loads cheaper than some of the flatter alternative designs so I guess that’s the trade-off. Maybe they’re ok with a thick enough memory foam topper on though?

Cambee do a few different models of beds. We’ve got their comfort 118 which is a perfect size. Big enough for two of us to sleeping comfortably and room for cupboards. They’re not cheap but really well made. So simple to put up and down and loads of room underneath.

They are a bit firm but we have a 100% wool topper which is cool in summer and warm in winter. The topper and quilts just roll back behind made back into a bench.

Also, would be really useful to be able to see some of this stuff in the flesh. We're south Bucks, so any stockists / manufacturers nearby (bed especially)?
An Egoe box should tick most of your boxes, won't break the bank & if you decide it's not for you, you can sell it on.

UK Stockist here

Current thinking therefore is to keep it as simple and wallet-friendly as possible:
As @russ_e said earlier it would be better to have an estate car and a decent tent.
IMO if you had issues with space in a SWB T6 those issues are unlikely to be remedied with just a full width bed. Two growing 8 year old twins will take up more space than some cabinets!
There are a few methods of converting a van but none are cheap, unless it gets frequent use it is an expensive couple of days here or there in the summer.

What about a quick setup trailer tent?
Some fantastic ones for around 4k. Our go full showoff mode with a holt kamper.

Still be 30k better off too.

We had a folding camper, loads more usable than any T6. Only downside is towing.

Hi…..Simply how deep are your pockets….Having a non converted Kombi with slidepods for the last 3yrs I’ve no plans to add a pop top…outside space is more important…Awning/tent is far the best solution for many…it provides extra sleep space ..entertaining..and cooking areas and as the kids grow space from you..and it’s a lot cheaper than converting….but if you do want to convert a good spec panel van is a better option than a Kombi…however if not sure which way to go …a Kombi makes a better day van…It’s really what your needs are…the amount of money you could spend on a van is alarming…think hard :thumbsup:

Oxford T5 in Witney?

Several good reviews on the forum over the years.

Back