Norfolk and Suffolk

The family used to have a static van just outside Hunstanton. Used to love meandering along the coast between there and Wells, so many photo opportunities in my black and white photography days. In particular Brancaster, Burnham Overly Staithe and Titchwell.
We stay at Searles Searles Leisure Resort
it has good facilities, level walk into town, and we think it's good value.

Hope you’re having a great trip. Holkham Beach is a huge favourite for us and the dogs (although I think there are now some Apr-Sep restrictions, which never used to be the case). Another way to access the beach via a long walk is from Burnham Overy Staithe - if you can find a parking spot.

One place I’ve not seen mentioned in the thread is Covehithe. Provides access to a fantastic beach and you can walk all the way through to Southwold - worth checking what the tides are doing though as can be impassable by the cliffs just north of Southwold if the tide is high.

Hope you’re having a great trip. Holkham Beach is a huge favourite for us and the dogs (although I think there are now some Apr-Sep restrictions, which never used to be the case). Another way to access the beach via a long walk is from Burnham Overy Staithe - if you can find a parking spot.

One place I’ve not seen mentioned in the thread is Covehithe. Provides access to a fantastic beach and you can walk all the way through to Southwold - worth checking what the tides are doing though as can be impassable by the cliffs just north of Southwold if the tide is high.
Not gone yet, road trip starts on Sunday. Thanks for the info I'll add it to the ever increasing list of places to see.

Last edited:
Weather is looking good next week for one of your two weeks in Sunny Suffolk (& Norfolk)@True Romance !! Lucky lucky lucky! :cool:

I would 'do' Suffolk the first week if i were you mate!;)

Stayed at this site for one night. Just outside Holt. Its very basic. Hot showers and toilet block. We had the site to ourselves as I think they haven't been open long.IMG_8921.jpeg

Stayed at this site for one night. Just outside Holt. Its very basic. Hot showers and toilet block. We had the site to ourselves as I think they haven't been open long.View attachment 211974
@Caveman22 are the prices correct on their website £41 for a van and £81 if you have an awning as well per night and no EHU

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Interesting first night. Kelling heath is in a dark sky area and as such there are very little lights so it's proper dark. Add to the mix sea mist rolling in and it became quite eerie Did try and get some shots of the milkyway but the mist was not helping so went to bed. We are parked right next to the tree line and not long after heard some of the weirdest noises and strange sounds I've ever heard, and no this time it wasn't the Mrs. Something was literally right outside the van wailing. Will put the blink cameras out tonight.

As for the site, it's very nice. Great facilities, indoor and outdoor pools, you do have to pay for, think its £7 per day each. Toilets are some of the best we've seen. The best part is the walks. You can walk for miles through the heath land. It's brilliant for dogs, though there are adder warning signs everywhere.

20230905_165935.jpg
20230905_143414.jpg
20230905_191039.jpg

Likely to be muntjac making the noise, there's loads of them there.

You've missed the nightjars and the silver studded blues at KH as earlier in the year. Spend a fair amount of time at KH and while it has its issues overall its a good place. Never seen an adder, plenty of lizards. Recomend a trip to Holt as its so close, the car park near the main road is easier to get the van in. Sheringham parking is easy usually up by the model boat pond / lake and not too far to the dog friendly bit of the beach

Sheringham Park is walkable from KH and you can do most of it in the woods to keep dog cool, there's the gazeboos there which are worth a visit. We have a black lab whos melting at home as I type

Oh just to add due to the extreme weather we're unable to see lots of the places recommend. Do appreciate everyone's contribution but it's just to hot for the dog.
If you're near the coast try going out mid afternoon. That'll be past the heat of the day but there should be a good onshore sea breeze going on as the land will be much hotter than the sea.

If you're near the coast try going out mid afternoon. That'll be past the heat of the day but there should be a good onshore sea breeze going on as the land will be much hotter than the sea.
That's the plan today. Ironically there is no wind this morning and the sea mist is still hanging around.

Went to Wells this afternoon. Had half an hour on the beach with Dolby dog (minium twos parking now at pinewoods). Nice drive down the coast road. Reminded us of Normandy with the style and build of the houses and the small villages with nobody around. Was going to get fish and chips in Wells but parking was a mare so stopped at a pub on the way back.

20230906_160510-02.jpeg
20230906_162017.jpg
20230906_172842.jpg20230906_174713-01.jpeg

So no wild animals attacking the van last night so a better night's sleep. Although there was a plane that few over around 10pm that I thought was going to crash right into us. Bear in mind last night the mist was like pea soup!

Popped into Holt this morning. Lovely little quant town. We then drove down to Sheringham. Very busy there so struggled to park but managed to nab a space on the main high street. Nice place but a little to touristy/sea side town for us.

Circled back via Weybourne to take the little man in the sea. A little to much of a drop off to be let off his lead sadly but he still had a blast. Quick walk up the cliff edge and found an old remaining bunker.

Last night in Norfolk. Moving down into Suffolk in the morning.

20230907_105817-01.jpeg
20230907_110123-01.jpeg
20230907_130359-01.jpeg
20230907_130005-01.jpeg
20230907_125840.jpg

Well the saying "what a difference a day makes" is very apt. Had two days with only a few campers on the site. In fact we had a whole section to ourselves. Then yesterday it started to fill up. By night fall it was full on party time. With large groups together, kids screaming till late. Thankful we have moved on today to a small adult only site.

Drove through Norwich on the way south. The least said about that town the better. Then detoured via Great Yarmouth to have a drive down the sea front. Not our type of resort but actually wasn't to bad. Looked clean enough and well maintained. Was going to stop and have a quick butchers but parking was very expensive.

Now near Kessingland.

20230908_131546.jpg

Last time I parked in Great Yarmouth was a while back but was in a broads cruiser with my folks on a family holiday. It's quite... interesting... taking a low powered hire cruiser through the estuary and tides to transit between the two areas of The Broads.

My abiding memory was being woken by my Mum shouting in the middle of the night as she hadn't realised the mooring at the Yacht Station was tidal so upon seeing the green slimy Rockwall had concluded we had sunk...

You're probably beyond it now but I have great memories of the tranquility around Horsey Mere and the Windpump.

Back