Campsites near London?

joe_j_barnes

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

after many years planning my van will be done within the next few weeks

I am planning a little trip away with my wife 2 kids and dog

plan is to head to London sight seeing but with stop overs first 28 May booking a weekend in camp site for the kids with a view to break up the drive, then Monday 31st head further down to outside of London with a view to jump train into centre and return each night to our van.
Once fo e we would head home back to north west area.
What sites would you recommend as I really want my wife to capture the bug so recommending a nice weekend site somewhere then another site or two just outside of London with maybe another on way home???
Thank you
Joe

The Fox and Goose Pub in Greywell near Hook has a large flat free campsite to the side, if you don’t want to go on the grass there are hard standings.
There is a childrens play area and plenty of outdoor seating.
The pub is located just off the M3 in a very picturesque village, you are guaranteed a quiet sleep.
Trains run from nearby Hook to London, ride is about 1hr 10 min.
It’s a case of pay to eat or drink but camp for free.
No idea what the deal is with the pub after the Covid shutdowns, I‘ve used it quite a lot as when going to London airports it eliminates most of the unpredictable traffic and saves me an early start. Beer and food is good.

You could try Hurley Riverside Park?

You'd be about 30 miles out of London, but it's a proper 'country' location on the banks of the Thames.

We overnighted there last summer (even though we only live 5 miles away) the site is clean and tidy and all the CV-19 precautions were good. There's good trains in to London from Maidenhead, High Wycombe or Twyford. There are trains from Marlow, but it take 2 changes - which seem to take forever. I'd suggest going from Twyford or Maidenhead as both have open air parking for the Van.

There's a couple of pubs in Hurley itself, but if you fancy a walk into Marlow it's pretty well served.

East Horsely camp site is C.C.C. has lovely like new facilities and just off the A3 straight into London 30 miles was an old army base during the war there's fishing there too small carp dog friendly. a very nice site.

Somebody else posted recently asking for London camping suggestions and I responded by suggesting the C&MC site in Crystal Palace Park. It's near a bus stop for trips into Central London (about 1 hour) and IIRC, it's also less than a mile to a train station which is a very convenient 20 odd minutes into London Bridge. That said, I obviously don't know what their opening plans are post-lockdown. Depending on your van, it might also be worth noting that the site is within the LEZ.

Somebody else posted recently asking for London camping suggestions and I responded by suggesting the C&MC site in Crystal Palace Park. It's near a bus stop for trips into Central London (about 1 hour) and IIRC, it's also less than a mile to a train station which is a very convenient 20 odd minutes into London Bridge. That said, I obviously don't know what their opening plans are post-lockdown. Depending on your van, it might also be worth noting that the site is within the LEZ.

i googled it it right under the crystal palace transmitter tower but it is set in the park with lots to do ( covid permitting ) there's dinosaurs in the park been years since i went there.. The surrounding area not very nice but if its only a short stay your looking for @joe_j_barnes but cant give a recommendation on the camp site it's not a place i would head for and would't want to leave the van alone or go out after dark .

There’s a site at Lea Valley just off the M25. Never used it, but driven past a few times.

i googled it it right under the crystal palace transmitter tower but it is set in the park with lots to do ( covid permitting ) there's dinosaurs in the park been years since i went there.. The surrounding area not very nice but if its only a short stay your looking for @joe_j_barnes but cant give a recommendation on the camp site it's not a place i would head for nd would't want to leave the van alone or go out after dark .
It's in London rather than the outskirts - what else would you expect from that or any other city anywhere in the UK? Saying that, being C&MC, I can't imagine security in the site itself being much of an issue.

I'm booked into the Crystal Palace site for later in the year, as its a C&MC it should open next month but with the toilet/shower block closed until the next easing in May, makes it a problem for campervans unless you've a shower/toilet tent.

You could try the C&MC site at Abbey Wood. I have never used it but it’s just a ten minute walk to the station with trains into central London. If you are prepared to wait a bit longer you can take a Crossrail train from there too :rolleyes:
PS I am allowed to joke about Crossrail because I worked on it for 14 years until about a year ago.

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I never knew that there was a site at Abbey Wood and I used to live only 4 miles from it! It would probably be easier to get to from the M25 than Crystal Palace as well (but take a bit longer to get into Central London).

Look at the commutable areas outside London, for example a stay at Crystal palace would involve a walk & 40min bus into central London.
Alternatively head for leafy Sevenoaks / Tonbridge in Kent and the fast trains into London Bridge are only 30mins / 40mins. Just something to consider?
Similar fast trains (Javelin line) across N Kent will take you very fast into St Pancreas Station.

You could try the Scouts at Dulwich Woods. I don’t know if they are open yet. If you go for this option let me know please.

Hi all,

after many years planning my van will be done within the next few weeks

I am planning a little trip away with my wife 2 kids and dog

plan is to head to London sight seeing but with stop overs first 28 May booking a weekend in camp site for the kids with a view to break up the drive, then Monday 31st head further down to outside of London with a view to jump train into centre and return each night to our van.
Once fo e we would head home back to north west area.
What sites would you recommend as I really want my wife to capture the bug so recommending a nice weekend site somewhere then another site or two just outside of London with maybe another on way home???
Thank you
Joe
Not answering the question at all but what about the lakes or Anglesey or similar? West Coast of Wales is stunning and would probably sell van life to the Mrs more than the tube into London :whistle:

Northerner living near London so I'm qualified to make that statement :geek:

Reactions: DXX
Thank you all

I do plan on going up and down county but wanting to take kids and the boss for a weekend in van to London sight seeing, it will show how good the van is for multiple weekends

Thank you all

I do plan on going up and down county but wanting to take kids and the boss for a weekend in van to London sight seeing, it will show how good the van is for multiple weekends
I don’t think I ‘sold’ this enough! This is a great piece of woodland next to Dulwich College; who own the land. It’s part of the ancient woodland and is next to Sydenham Hill rail station: London Bridge in 10 mins.

I hope you get a really good look around London; it really is full of some good people and some lovely places.

All the Best

I don’t think I ‘sold’ this enough! This is a great piece of woodland next to Dulwich College; who own the land. It’s part of the ancient woodland and is next to Sydenham Hill rail station: London Bridge in 10 mins.
This is another place that I never knew existed despite having lived quite close to it and being a very regular drinker in the Dulwich Wood House which is just up the road and at least at that time was very good pub indeed. Mind you, I'm talking about ancient history as that was in the mid-1980s when I was a young(ish) whippersnapper!

However, you may struggle to find availability for the bank holiday weekend already, as last year's bookings are being honoured at some sites, on top of the rush to go away

Back