Running and camping

Ambrose

T6 Pro
I am keen a runner and so I would always try to combine running and spending time with the family at weekends whenever I possible. Pre-covid times, this would mean long weekend city breaks but it looks like I'll be focussing more on running races closer to home for the foreseeable future. What I tend to look for is races that starts and finishes within walking distances to a nearby campsite. This way, I can get to the start easily in the morning, the family can pop over to catch me when I finish, and then I could limp back to the campsite for a nice hot shower.

Here's a few that I've found, I'll be adding them to here if anyone is interested, but if you discover anything similar then please add to it too.

Southport Seaside 10K - Nice flat course, 2 laps around the marina lake
Southport Seaside 10K - Results & Photos
Campervaning, 5-10mins walk to the start

Chatsworth 10K - hilly course around the Chatsworth estate
Camping, the site has a secret doorway that leads directly onto the estate, 5-10mins walk to the start

Sandstone Trail Races - A & B courses, both races finishes in Delamere Forest, but bus services available to the start
Sandstone Trail Races – Run Cheshire & Gogledd Cymru
Campervaning: Delamere Forest Campsite - The Camping and Caravanning Club

Petzl Night Runner Delamere - 10k night run
Campervaning: Delamere Forest Campsite - The Camping and Caravanning Club

Cardiff Half Marathon - Flat course that starts and finishes in the city centre, part of the Super Halfs series
Cardiff University Cardiff Half Marathon | Run like you’ve never run before in our flat, fast iconic road race around Wales' capital city
Campervaning: Right in the middle of city centre, need to book early!

Race the Train Tywyn - various distances
Campervaning: Vaenol Caravan Park, Gwynedd, Wales

Lakeland Trails in Keswick - various distances
Campervaning:

Langdale Half & Full Marathon
Campervaning:
Bonus: 2 or 3 pubs nearby too!

Trail Betws - various distances
Campervaning:

Last edited:
Check out the Lakeland trails series, these are great races. We camped in Keswick and you can walk to from the start to do the Keswick one.
Race the Train in Tywyn is also a great running and camping weekend away and the family can go on the train too.

Check out the Lakeland trails series, these are great races. We camped in Keswick and you can walk to from the start to do the Keswick one.
Race the Train in Tywyn is also a great running and camping weekend away and the family can go on the train too.
great, I'll add it to the list, there looks to be a couple of campsites nearby - Keswick Camping and Caravanning Club, and Derwentwater Camping and Caravanning Club Site, which one did you stay in?

great, I'll add it to the list, there looks to be a couple of campsites nearby - Keswick Camping and Caravanning Club, and Derwentwater Camping and Caravanning Club Site, which one did you stay in?
I stayed at the Keswick Camping and Caravanning Club which was great and easy walk to the town.

Back