Newbie who’s discovered more research = more unanswered questions!

Bananavan

Hello all, what an excellent forum you have - thank you for having me.

We’re finally in a place where we can realise a long lived dream to own a camper. But the more research we do the more clueless we feel!

We’ve found a new conversion for sale at a small dealer but on an older van.

It’s a T6 Startline early 2016 so subject to ULEZ charges. Will buying a more polluting engine limit our travels across Europe?

Should i be worried about the mileage which stands at 94000 miles. I need to find out what kind of miles they were though…

And also the van has had a new clutch, flywheel and polybushed front lower arms. Does this mean the van has had a hard life, should I avoid?

We have about £40k to spend but we’re nervous about buying privately because once you drive it away that’s it! At least with a dealer there are basic guarantees. But of course your money doesnt go as far with dealers.

Sleepless nights already? Absolutely! Feels like such a fraught purchase because its so much money. But we really want a slice of vanlife.

Here’s the listing and thanks for reading.
Used T6 Camper

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would check when the cam belt and water pump was last done, or ask for it to be done as part of sale.

Have a look at the vans for sale on here to get an idea of what you could get for your money

I started my longish journey here - they may not be too far from you.

You should give you a clear idea of options, together with an informative web site.

I ended buying a "new/old" conversion on a T6 Highline ex demo van through Danbury Motorcaravans, no longer in business unfortunately.

I do appreciate that things have changed dramatically since January 2019 (when I bought mine), but there should be good T6 conversions out there for your budget.

Regarding the ULEZ - they will be active across most city regions in the UK soon enough. In France the zones literally change with the weather.

For us, it would realistically be cheaper to keep our cat 5 van, and pay the occasional fee. However, the excuse was there to get a new van, so for once heart won over head.

My advice is take your time, look at a few , get a feel for what suits you......Always go with gut instinct, if it doesn't feel right walk away.

Buy a ULEZ 6 Compliant, find your basic spec, which bhp model ? Manual or DSG ?

At 40k your not far off a 6-7 yr old Cali with around 40,000 miles..........Have a look on the California owners website, plenty for sale on there.............All be it a euro 5 !!

My advice is take your time, look at a few , get a feel for what suits you......Always go with gut instinct, if it doesn't feel right walk away.

Buy a ULEZ 6 Compliant, find your basic spec, which bhp model ? Manual or DSG ?

At 40k your not far off a 6-7 yr old Cali with around 40,000 miles..........Have a look on the California owners website, plenty for sale on there.............All be it a euro 5 !!
Great advice. It’s tempting to just get out and buy one just to get started and I’ll admit we’re 100% seduced by the handsome yellow two tone on the current prospect. But it’s got to be the right van under all the flashy paintjobs.

California would be good, but I wont be able to convince my husband to do a private sale. He just believes its too risky at that price and wants a dealers reassurance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you look hard enough, you'll find a good camper T6 for around £40k with less than 50,000 miles. IMO...
Good luck with your search.:thumbsup:

Just had a quick search, try The Van Factory they have a few in stock, Can't vouch for them ! somebody on the Forum may have used them....

Last edited:
Thanks all for all the advice. I love the conversion on the van we’re looking at, and the paintjob - but it’s the Euro 5 engine that is a sticking point for me. Hope to be a van-owning member of this forum very soon!

Back