T6 or T6.1 around £40-45k

aworthy

Evening All,

We’re treating ourselves with a budget of 40-45k to try make some memories with our daughter. We’ve been looking around and been to see a few vans.

For our budget it seems to be possible to get a T6 around 2018-2019 with about 40-50k miles on the clock.

I feel like this is more of a psychological problem, but I’m struggling to justify spending that much on a T6 when it’s not technically the ‘newest’ model. It wouldn’t phase me at all to spend around that amount on a T6.1.

I’m not really sure what I’m asking. I guess I just want to know/discuss with knowledgeable people if this amount of money is actually justifiable for a T6, and that we wouldn’t be massively missing out by not getting a T6.1.

What are your thoughts / advice / questions to help us come to a decision?

I suppose the best people to answer your question or make relevant comments will be people who have owned both a T6 and a T6.1.
That rules me out.....
But if you can find the right T6 which has had a careful owner, well maintained, with a full service history, LED headlights etc and no expense spared, that's probably better than a T6.1 that's had a hard life and not been cared for to the same extent.
I'd keep an open mind, you'll know when you find the right van. Your budget means you can be a bit fussy.
Good luck with your search.

I suppose the best people to answer your question or make relevant comments will be people who have owned both a T6 and a T6.1.
That rules me out.....
But if you can find the right T6 which has had a careful owner, well maintained, with a full service history, LED headlights etc and no expense spared, that's probably better than a T6.1 that's had a hard life and not been cared for to the same extent.
I'd keep an open mind, you'll know when you find the right van. Your budget means you can be a bit fussy.
Good luck with your search.
Yeh I’m struggling to workout what to do! Do we lower it to £30-35k and get an older T6 with higher mileage, or go for an expensive T6 but it’s still not the ‘newer’ model.

If you're talking a camper then the miliage and wear and tear is the main deciding factor really, not the model or year. Just like @DaveD mentions above.

I believe @Eli has been on the T6/6.1/6 journey. My perception is the 6.1 appears to through up more issues n niggles probably as VW attempt to build generic component based vehicles.

After not a great beginning in terms of perceived quality, T6 comfort dash vs T6.1 Dash (comfort not an option anymore), I have to admit the T6.1 is the better of the 2. The electric steering makes life easier and when it’s windy there is no need to correct the direction with the steering. On long journeys it’s a win. Suspension comfort is better, better brake feeling and with the digital Vw nailed it. They did something to the sliding door mechanism as well, they are quieter when opening and closing and they feel lighter.
Not sure about engine insulation at idle. It seems slightly more noisy but it might be the Btdi more noisy than my previous 150. At motorway speed there is no wind noise at all.
However, the new electronic system seems pretty delicate. All the issue I had were electronic faults. Even the last issue, fuel pump regulator on the paper, was fixed in the end by a software update. Since 2021 my van has been at the dealer 17 times and 4 times since I own it (July 2023). All for software related issues.

Last edited:
After not a great beginning in terms of perceived quality, T6 comfort dash vs T6.1 Dash (comfort not an option anymore), I have to admit the T6.1 is the better of the 2. The electric steering makes life easier and when it’s windy there is no need to correct the direction with the steering. On long journeys it’s a win. Suspension comfort is better, better brake feeling and with the digital Vw nailed it. They did something to the sliding door mechanism as well, they are quieter when opening and closing and they feel lighter.
Not sure about engine insulation at idle. It seems slightly more noisy but it might be the Btdi more noisy than my previous 150. At motorway speed there is no wind noise at all.
However, the new electronic system seems pretty delicate. All the issue I had were electronic faults. Even the last issue, fuel pump regulator on the paper, was fixed in the end by a software update. Since 2021 my van has been at the dealer 17 times and 4 times since I own it (July 2023). All for software related issues.
Wow that’s crazy! What a shame. Have you had that from brand new?

Any van we get would be pre owned so I’d like to think any of those types of faults had been picked up in the first couple years

Van is 3 years old in July. I had it since July last Year. Bought it with 11k miles. I am very picky about my van ( bloody expensive as well) and the VW garage I am using is pretty good. The last issue fuel pump regulator didn’t convince me. It didn’t make sense. I had discussed the theme with the head of the mechanics and he decided to get a Vw Master technician to go an have a deeper look into the issue. I have also suggested to get a senior master technician.
Luckily the senior tech has seen the fault before (EPC light on and consequent limp mode) and with a dedicated software update fixed the issue once and for all (will see about this…).

Go for T6.1 within your budget. Numerous improvements over previous models - try and get one with manufacturers warranty. My van has had a few niggles but no more than any other vehicle I’ve owned . Good luck

Reactions: CAB
Go for T6.1 within your budget. Numerous improvements over previous models - try and get one with manufacturers warranty. My van has had a few niggles but no more than any other vehicle I’ve owned . Good luck
I’ve found it almost impossible to get a T6.1 camper/day van with our budget!

Have you hired or borrowed one?

One or more of the three of you may absolutely hate it!!!

It's pricey, but we see so many vans for sale on here that say "well, the wife hates sleeping in it, so it has to go..."

But for buying a camper that's not a daily drive, I would say no issues getting a T6. Get a more recent one that qualifies for the VW All-in-one warranty + breakdown. It may not be as comprehensive as the new van warranty but provides some reassurance.

And have a look in the For Sale section here, plenty of choice and a number of different prices and styles.

We could potentially push to 50-52k which might get us a 6.1 camper, but I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it.

What would you like to gain for that extra 7/12k?

Both are great. I'd hire / test drive both. Then just to add fuel to the fire, I'd hire a T6 California just to make sure.

Reactions: CAB
Very jumpy gear change and high reving on acceleration
Have a new 90 totally different beast and better on fuel

Having had T5 and T6 panel vans previously I was disappointed with the drive when we bought a T6.1 Cali Ocean 204 dsg 4motion. Lovely van, but disliked how it drove, hated the laggy dsg the wallowy suspension and found the captain seats uncomfortable too. Didnt want to mod such an expensive van either. Dash was lovely as was the digital display. If you could get the best bits in a base van that had been converted then the T6.1 would be better imo. We sold it on and are now back in a T6 kombi 150 manual and Im enjoying it much more and the seats are more comfy for me at least.

Last edited:
Back