I think I've made a mistake with the van I'm about to buy - remap

Hi all I am hoping somebody can advise...

I've been looking for a vw transporter to convert, planning to use it for trips with my six year old son who is so excited.
Went to see one yesterday at a dealer, 2019 40k miles and it all looked good so put a deposit down. We want basic spec but decent bhp. (I don't know much about vehicles but did some research and read forums etc).

This van says it is 150bhp on Autotrader. But when I checked the numberplate on vehicle spec check sites they all say it's 101bhp. Does this mean they either got the Autotrader advert wrong or it's been remapped??

Done some research on forums and seen some horror stories about remapping and how it can be bad for the engine? Is this dodgy??

It only has 5 gears should this have been a warning sign?

Anyone who knows about these things would you try to get deposit back (if I have any chance of doing this) or proceed with purchase?

So disappointed after weeks of looking and I feel like such an idiot ☹️
Thank you so much for any advice! Just had sleepless night over it

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Hi @heather123
Quite simply if the advert and the dealer said that it was 150bhp and you have discovered through further research that it is 101bhp then you have been misled and you have the right to ask for that deposit back.
Take some screen shots of the advert saying that it is 150bhp before anything changes. Take along your evidence that you have collected to say it is not what is advertised.
Make it clear that you wish to have your deposit returned as you have been misled and this is not what you are looking for.
There are all sorts of consumer laws that protect a buyer if they are misled at sale assuming the van is being bought from a dealer?
Post the link of the van on autotrader on the forum and I am sure the forum will cast an eye over everything as well.

The advert is worded as though it’s 150bhp from the factory, but if it’s 5 speed then it’s 102bhp or even 89 or similar.
So I guess if you want your deposit back then there’s no problem. The van is simply not as advertised.
On a slightly different angle have a really good read of this forum and have a good think about the spec of your base vehicle.
That van has no aircon, retrofit is expensive -towards £3k now. Will you want rear parking sensors? All these things add up in the future.
Most people would say try to get the best spec base van that you can so it is more car like, after all it’s going to be your leisure vehicle, not a delivery van.

Some good advice from everyone. If you can find the time it’s well worth looking at the various threads on here - you’ll find some really helpful info to help you make the right choice. Oh and welcome to the forum

Hi Heather,
The 5 speed gearbox is the 102ps engine and not the 150ps as advertised in the eBay specifications.
They have misled you in the advert BUT my previous 2005 T5 had a 5 speed box and was only 102ps and I had that for 13 years. I could get over 600 miles out of a full tank so was good on fuel. Only thing mine had air-con but I didn’t use it much just opened the windows. That will depend on you if you want that or not but isn’t a deal breaker. You could remap it like I did mine after 8 years to a safe 135ps and get even better fuel returns.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

BJ

Thank you so much for your advice everyone!
I am wary about buying it based on the dealer not being transparent about the bhp. And now I think I want a higher spec. It's only t28 but there seems to be a lot of campers out there that are t28?
Would really appreciate what you think about this one? It's higher mileage but better spec. Thank you very much guys.

Thank you so much for your advice everyone!
I am wary about buying it based on the dealer not being transparent about the bhp. And now I think I want a higher spec. It's only t28 but there seems to be a lot of campers out there that are t28?
Would really appreciate what you think about this one? It's higher mileage but better spec. Thank you very much guys.
As mentioned above Air Con is difficult to retro fit. I would look for a van with it on already. This one doesnt.

Looking at the photos I think this does not have air con either.
As this is all relatively new to you @heather123 and believe me it’s a mine field as it took me 8 months to find the right van, it may be best to make a list of what you are looking for eg air con, engine size, manual or automatic etc etc and then go into a commercial VW dealership who will be able to look across the country as to see what is available and if anything fits the bill (you can do this online as well). Because of what you are buying the prices will not be that different but what you will have is piece of mind of what you are buying is what is listed, I am pretty sure you will get a 12 month warranty with the vehicle if there are any issues as well.
As @BuilderJay said, the smaller engine does work for people and may be the one for you, but personally I would avoid a remap that I don’t know much about in terms of who did it, when it was done and one so high.
Forum always here to help you.

Thanks...in the spec it says it has AC in the cab only - is this sufficient do you think?
The white one doesn’t show air con on the dash. Sounds like the spec is wrong. The air con button would be where the recirculation button is.

… Also, I have a 102BHP camper and have done 26,000 miles in it so far, most of which with a family of four on board…. It’s all good for us. Good luck in your search.
IMG_1400.png

Thanks guys

It is an absolute minefield, especially as I don't have much van knowledge and often the specs seem to be incorrect on autotrader and I wouldn't necessarily be able to spot that myself upon viewing.
What I think I am realizing is that if it looks like a very good deal there's probably something not quite right

Thanks guys

It is an absolute minefield, especially as I don't have much van knowledge and often the specs seem to be incorrect on autotrader and I wouldn't necessarily be able to spot that myself upon viewing.
What I think I am realizing is that if it looks like a very good deal there's probably something not quite right
Don’t rush into a purchase, the market is awash with lower spec’ camper vans dressed up to sell for high spec’ prices.

Don’t rush into a purchase, the market is awash with lower spec’ camper vans dressed up to sell for high spec’ prices.
Absolutely.
Beware of terms like S-line which dresses a base builders van to sound like a top range Audi model. Take your time and ask the hive mind on here.
Btw I don’t think 50k miles is high. I’d be more worried about a low mileage van.

Absolutely. A conversion is all about the base van. Otherwise it’s just lipstick on a pig.
Personally I wouldn’t go less than a t30/150ps/LWB for a conversion. I know there are plenty of happy t28/102ps/SWB owners out there, but this is just my opinion fwiw.

Hi Heather,
The 5 speed gearbox is the 102ps engine and not the 150ps as advertised in the eBay specifications.
They have misled you in the advert BUT my previous 2005 T5 had a 5 speed box and was only 102ps and I had that for 13 years. I could get over 600 miles out of a full tank so was good on fuel. Only thing mine had air-con but I didn’t use it much just opened the windows. That will depend on you if you want that or not but isn’t a deal breaker. You could remap it like I did mine after 8 years to a safe 135ps and get even better fuel returns.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

BJ
The 102 hp manual is a perfectly fine engine, don’t dismiss it , you’ll find you can live without remapping, but not aircon!

Back