I think I've made a mistake with the van I'm about to buy - remap

So what happened re the deposit….any joy?
Yes, I called them and they didn’t really seem to know themselves what bhp the van is! They said that because they couldn’t confirm the spec, I can get the deposit back no problem. I asked if they would knock any money off because it’s lower spec than I thought I was getting and they said no because they’ve had loads of interest from a dealers auction website - the van’s been sitting on their forecourt for a month and hasn’t sold yet but whatever!!
So the search continues, next time I will be more thorough in my research before committing. Thanks for your help everyone.

It took me many months to find the right van
I originally wanted lwb 150 dsg tailgate

But I ended up with 102 swb barn doors highline , when I saw the van I knew it was the one , bodywork and interior was mint condition and the seller was such a genuine guy , we have even ended up doing work together

Thanks...in the spec it says it has AC in the cab only - is this sufficient do you think?
Hi Heather - had all the same dilemmas buying mine. Like others have said it took 6 months to find the right one and understand all the different specs. The most confusing (initially for me was T28 and T32 etc) - I had assumed this was to do with the spec and what the van came with or didn't, but it's not, it's related to the axle weight. I eventually went for the 2020 102 ps with A/C. You mention is A/C in the cab sufficient. In reality, the spec choice is "no A/C" or "with A/C". I would recommend A/C for the reasons others have said. With regards to the engine power - well it's not rapid, but because of how it is geared it pulls away quickly enough. My other car is a 3-litre twin-turbo diesel BMW and rapid, but the lack of oomph in the van doesn't bother me - you just cruise, part of the pleasure. One other thing to look up when you get one is whether the van you buy is registered as a 'van' or 'motorhome' on the DVLA V5. Depending on which it is, depends on the speed you can legally drive it. A van is 50mph on A roads, and 60mph on dual carriageway - motorhomes, can go the same as cars (depending on size). You can apply for a van to be re-registered as a motorhome but it's a bit of a faff. Plenty of posts on this forum about that subject. Hope that helps. Keep asking the questions, and people will answer but suggest searching on the forum first as it may have been asked before.

It took me many months to find the right van
I originally wanted lwb 150 dsg tailgate

But I ended up with 102 swb barn doors highline , when I saw the van I knew it was the one , bodywork and interior was mint condition and the seller was such a genuine guy , we have even ended up doing work together
Loved our 102, never needed extra power, did u go dsg in the end?

My two-penneth FWIW.
Mine is a T28 SWB 102 and I too was a little concerned about power with the conversion weight. It was sagging at the rear a little after conversion so I just swapped out the rear springs for std T32 springs (really easy job) and the stance is now perfect. Not low but didn't want that look.
On power, 102 is absolutely fine IMO, mainly because: 1) its a van not a sports car, 2) it's full of stuff rattling in cupboards etc, 3) you love it and want to drive it carefully.
Just my experience.

Hi all I am hoping somebody can advise...

I've been looking for a vw transporter to convert, planning to use it for trips with my six year old son who is so excited.
Went to see one yesterday at a dealer, 2019 40k miles and it all looked good so put a deposit down. We want basic spec but decent bhp. (I don't know much about vehicles but did some research and read forums etc).

This van says it is 150bhp on Autotrader. But when I checked the numberplate on vehicle spec check sites they all say it's 101bhp. Does this mean they either got the Autotrader advert wrong or it's been remapped??

Done some research on forums and seen some horror stories about remapping and how it can be bad for the engine? Is this dodgy??

It only has 5 gears should this have been a warning sign?

Anyone who knows about these things would you try to get deposit back (if I have any chance of doing this) or proceed with purchase?

So disappointed after weeks of looking and I feel like such an idiot ☹️
Thank you so much for any advice! Just had sleepless night over it
Mine is a 150bhp, manual gearbox, with 6 gears.. If it's 5 gears it's not 150bhp. Gather your evidence and go get your money back from the dealer. The vehicle jas been misrepresented in the advert and not the vehicle you thought you were buying. Ask the dealer to show you the V5. Take a quiet mate with you for support. Make a crib list of your points of evidence and questions you want to ask or make but don't let the grass grow - crack on.

…..One other thing to look up when you get one is whether the van you buy is registered as a 'van' or 'motorhome' on the DVLA V5. Depending on which it is, depends on the speed you can legally drive it. A van is 50mph on A roads, and 60mph on dual carriageway - motorhomes, can go the same as cars (depending on size). You can apply for a van to be re-registered as a motorhome but it's a bit of a faff. Plenty of posts on this forum about that subject. Hope that helps. Keep asking the questions, and people will answer but suggest searching on the forum first as it may have been asked before.
You might just want to double triple check that info before the riot starts :whistle:

I currently have both 102 and 150 - not much difference at all. To be fair even 199 or 204 is not fast compared to todays cars.

You might just want to double triple check that info before the riot starts :whistle:
noted and don’t want to start a riot ;-) was trying the make the point to check the V5 to see what it’s says. Mine is registered as a panel van/light good vehicle not motor caravan. Waiting for the awning to be fitted before applying for re registering! And the gov site says the speed limits I quoted Speed limits as lgv is not more than 7.5 tes. maybe wrong and happy to be corrected.

Last edited:
noted and don’t want to start a riot ;-) was trying the make the point to check the V5 to see what it’s says. Mine is registered as a panel van/light good vehicle not motor caravan. Waiting for the awning to be fitted before applying for re registering! And the gov site says the speed limits I quoted Speed limits as lgv is not more than 7.5 tes. maybe wrong and happy to be corrected.
DVLA will not reclassify your van as a motor caravan. It will come back as “Van with windows”
If your van meets the legal definition of a Motor Caravan, you are subject to car speed limits, regardless of what the V5 says.
Assuming it’s a Transporter.
Further reading here.

Last edited:
DVLA will not reclassify your van as a motor caravan. It will come back as “Van with windows”
If your van meets the legal definition of a Motor Caravan, you are subject to car speed limits, regardless of what the V5 says.
Assuming it’s a Transporter.
Further reading here.
OK. Ta
Everyday is a school day. Much obliged. Only been on here a few limited months. Info given to me was from ex traffic cop. Will cease and desist! :)

Reactions: CAB
OK. Ta
Everyday is a school day. Much obliged. Only been on here a few limited months. Info given to me was from ex traffic cop. Will cease and desist! :)
No problem. The next time you’re talking to your ex traffic cop mate, ask him about the Type Approval Regs 1979, specifically the “Motor Caravan” definition. And then ask him how this ties in with the RTA 1984 schedule 6.
Let him have a school day ;)

Last edited:
No problem. The next time you’re talking to your ex traffic cop mate, ask him about the Type Approval Regs 1979, specifically the “motor Caravan” definition. And then ask him how this ties in with the RTA 1984 schedule 6.
Let him have a school day ;)
Will do - the term Ex traffic cop may be appropriate.... this should be good banter..and thanks for putting me right, and highlighting the thread to look at - never searched that as I thought I had accurate info - just shows the value of the forum. Cheers!

Back