*new* - Renogy Release Dc-dc 20/40a Charger!

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
RENOGY release DC-DC 20/40A charger! . . . . . . . . . .

SKU: RNG-DCC1212-20

SKU: RNG-DCC1212-40

Description
This 20A/40A DC to DC Charger is designed to charge secondary batteries while driving using the primary battery connected to the alternator. It is able to charge: Flooded, Gel, AGM, and Lithium batteries using multi-stage charging.

Key Features
  • Multi-Chemistry Battery Types ( Flooded, Gel, AGM, and Lithium )
  • Smart Protection Features ( Battery Isolation, Over-voltage safety, Overheat protection, and Reverse polarity protection)
  • S3-phase Charging (Bulk, Boost, and Float)
  • Built tough for all conditions
  • Able to charge an auxiliary battery to 100% state of charge
  • Increases run time of loads, such as fridges and lights
  • Overcomes voltage drop caused by long cable runs
  • Prolongs Battery Life

71.jpg

72.JPG

1: I phase (bulk) At the beginning of the charging process, the flat battery is charged with a constant current (100 % charge current) until the battery voltage reaches the charging end voltage. The charging current decreases when the battery has reached this charging level.

2: U0 phase (absorption) Now the absorption charging process (U0 phase) begins, where the duration depends on the battery. The voltage remains constant (U0). This phase is limited to a maximum of 3 hours to prevent overcharging the battery while driving.

3: U phase (float) Aer the U0 phase, the battery charger switches to the conservation charging function (U phase).

https://www.renogy.com/template/files/Manuals/Renogy DC-DC Battery Charger Manual.pdf

Renogy 12V DC to DC On-Board Battery Charger

Interesting.

Looking at the drawings in the manual, it looks like it has active cooling; i.e. fans. Hope they are up for the job. Our Sterling 1230 fan is starting to get noisy (bearings) when its first activated in cold temperature.

I would be tempted to go for passive cooling (no fans) next time but that can increase the footprint and reduces the maximum possible charging current for a given size.

RENOGY release DC-DC 20/40A charger! . . . . . . . . . .

SKU: RNG-DCC1212-20

SKU: RNG-DCC1212-40

Description
This 20A/40A DC to DC Charger is designed to charge secondary batteries while driving using the primary battery connected to the alternator. It is able to charge: Flooded, Gel, AGM, and Lithium batteries using multi-stage charging.

Key Features
  • Multi-Chemistry Battery Types ( Flooded, Gel, AGM, and Lithium )
  • Smart Protection Features ( Battery Isolation, Over-voltage safety, Overheat protection, and Reverse polarity protection)
  • S3-phase Charging (Bulk, Boost, and Float)
  • Built tough for all conditions
  • Able to charge an auxiliary battery to 100% state of charge
  • Increases run time of loads, such as fridges and lights
  • Overcomes voltage drop caused by long cable runs
  • Prolongs Battery Life

View attachment 40944

View attachment 40945

1: I phase (bulk) At the beginning of the charging process, the flat battery is charged with a constant current (100 % charge current) until the battery voltage reaches the charging end voltage. The charging current decreases when the battery has reached this charging level.

2: U0 phase (absorption) Now the absorption charging process (U0 phase) begins, where the duration depends on the battery. The voltage remains constant (U0). This phase is limited to a maximum of 3 hours to prevent overcharging the battery while driving.

3: U phase (float) Aer the U0 phase, the battery charger switches to the conservation charging function (U phase).

https://www.renogy.com/template/files/Manuals/Renogy DC-DC Battery Charger Manual.pdf

Renogy 12V DC to DC On-Board Battery Charger
Are they part of Dometic? I ask as this came up on a Google search:
Dometic PerfectPower DCC 1212-40 - Charging converter 12 V to 12 V

Looks like either/or are rebadging. Not sure yet exactly who the original manufacturers are.... looks good though.

I'm still waiting for the Redarc 50A to be available. . . . . . @travelvolts
What’s the benefit of having a 40/50 A dc-dc charger? Mine is only 20A and always keeps the leisure battery fully charged. Is it for when you’re doing mainly short journeys? Or if you have more than one leisure battery? Or just cos more is better? :)

ATM I have 2x110Ah bats.....

But the reason is that I have a 1500w cotek inverter that can draw 100A.. so when the engine is running I'm able to draw 40A from the DC-DC and 60A from the batts...so they go flat fairly quickly.

The plan is to parallel two Redarc DC-DC units (40A + 50A) to give me 90A from the engine bay. ... this is no probs as the alternator is 180A.

Then I can use the van like the old EU5 van and use the engine to supply my loads.... the smart alternator thing didnt work well on the EU6.

And totally agree that 20A DC-DC is adequate to just charge a leisure battery.

I've got two of these in the back. . . .

240vac @ 460W each

73.JPG
74.jpg

Plus a couple of other chargers @ 100W - 400W

plus a few other bits and bobs - - - - - drawing either 12v or 240vac

So normally its drawing - 460w-920W (W=VxA) (38A - 76A Amp draw) - from leisure batt/s

with them all running its about 1500W (W=VxA) (125Amp draw) - from leisure batt/s

that all killed the Leisure batts to quickly . . . . . . so now using DC-DC charger to supply current from the engine.

One added benefit is that when the DC-DC sees the voltdrop when the chargers kick in it starts Bulk charging the batts at 14v odd which reduced the current load.

Has anyone fitted one of these DCC50s devices to a T6 Euro6?
Do they work?

DCC50S​

Do they work?

DCC50S​

It works in my T6.1, for a little over a year now.

@JABB

see here:

and here:

and here as well :

Do they work?

DCC50S​

Yep, we’ve had one for a year and a half and it works perfectly. Not got any solar on the van so it’s permanently using 50A to charge the leisure battery. so on a two hour journey it will completely top up 100Ah lithium battery.

Back