New Pressure-Washer needed

Are you using the pressure washer to clean off stubborn mud or for cleaning the bus reguarly?

Aiming to use it to clean fairly regularily but also do the patio to earn some brownie points

I'd personally recommend that the bus gets a really good one off clean and wax once or twice a year. Snow foam, rinse, wash with a decent hp balanced shampoo like meguiars gold, claybar and then a wax. If you use a power washer after this treatment you're just going to remove what's been added. Use a hose and shampoo with wax added it'll be easier to keep clean.

I've got a Karcher K5 and an autobrite snow foam lance which works well, I use the advanced neutral snow foam.

Hmmm I disagree @Tombs

If the van (or cars) have a lot of dirt on them, blast it off with a pressure washer after snow foaming. Try washing it off with a mitt and no blasting and you're going to be rubbing abrasive muck into the paint.

I snow foam/pressure wash when it's really dirty, just a two bucket wash when it's not too bad. But keep the paint wet at all times when cleaning it.

Decent wax/sealant will easily stay on after a pressure wash and wheels are much easier with one too.

Nilfisks all have a proper metal motor rather than plastic that many Karchers use and they last ages. Mine has two fittings, one for car blasting, the other for patios. Both work well.

Hmmm I disagree @Tombs

If the van (or cars) have a lot of dirt on them, blast it off with a pressure washer after snow foaming. Try washing it off with a mitt and no blasting and you're going to be rubbing abrasive muck into the paint.

I snow foam/pressure wash when it's really dirty, just a two bucket wash when it's not too bad. But keep the paint wet at all times when cleaning it.

Decent wax/sealant will easily stay on after a pressure wash and wheels are much easier with one too.

Nilfisks all have a proper metal motor rather than plastic that many Karchers use and they last ages. Mine has two fittings, one for car blasting, the other for patios. Both work well.
That's why I asked if he was going to be cleaning off stubborn mud etc. There's no need for any of that if it's just a general clean, all you'll be doing is removing the wax layers and effort you've put in on applying it previously. Don't take my word for it, speak to Dodo, Meguiars etc.

Wax doesn't form "in layers" it's just there.
I get many months of decent beading off my wax/sealant on my van (it's a van not a bus) and cars with pressure washing.

As do most detailers.

Wax doesn't form "in layers" it's just there.
I get many months of decent beading off my wax/sealant on my van (it's a van not a bus) and cars with pressure washing.

As do most detailers.
As do I on my vehicles. Just trying to point out that a jet wash isnt always necessary (think we've agreed on that) and that by doing so you can and could remove the effort you have put in before hand. Edited to say, its also about the products you use as youve rightly pointed out and how the products and washing process is applied. Not everyone gets it right.

Last edited:
Had the van 2 weeks and is already caked in flies so am looking at pressure washers and what cleaning products are rated here? Don't want to spend crazy money ideally.

Heard that Nilflisk washers are good but am wary about damaging paintwork etc with anything too powerful. What does a snow foam lance do and achieve?

Thanks!

Nilfisk are fine and not likely to do paint damage but always spray any parking sensors at an angle and not too close.
Use 2 bucket method with a lambs wool mit and towel dry with a couple of micro fibre cloths.

I bought a big drum of snow foam for a king's ransom from halfrauds last year but haven't been that impressed with it. Didn't seem to do anything and just caused more work.
Wouldn't bother buying it again personally.

I'd be interested to hear of a particular Nilfisk model folks rate. Also any brands of cleaning products that are good?

Back