My T6 spec - work in progress

When you look round at the hundreds of t5 /t6 converted vans that are getting sold many of them are of the T28 & 103 ps spec ! Made me wonder if I was thinking T32 might be a bit OTT . Is not the t32 a bit stiff for a camper ,don't we require a smoother , softer ride for a camper ? My works van is a t32 and full of tools is still a bit hard on the suspension .
Does anyone know what payload the calis are ?

@Bearreds , I've been running a converted jumbo, not had a problem ref ride, the extra weight capacity of a t32 will give you the headroom for your conversion, after all, remember 1ltr of water in your waste or fresh water tank is 1kg, the kids and wife and all the makeup and toys such as surfboards etc weigh up, as does all that sound deadening and insulation. The LWB means that on a wet day you aren't as cramped up, especially if getting junior into or out of diapers etc. but end of day, it is personal choice, but if abroad and loaded up, can you bring ALL that duty free back?

@Bearreds , I've been running a converted jumbo, not had a problem ref ride, the extra weight capacity of a t32 will give you the headroom for your conversion, after all, remember 1ltr of water in your waste or fresh water tank is 1kg, the kids and wife and all the makeup and toys such as surfboards etc weigh up, as does all that sound deadening and insulation. The LWB means that on a wet day you aren't as cramped up, especially if getting junior into or out of diapers etc. but end of day, it is personal choice, but if abroad and loaded up, can you bring ALL that duty free back?

I take it on board and I think it makes good sense, we travel to France a lot and don't want to get caught out

SWB 140 T30 for me. No camping issues with the SWB, LWB gives you extra cupboard in the middle (40cm). It would also give us a little extra peeing room in the middle of the night with the toilet in between bed and front seats. Our kids are 10 and 7 and we got enough room in the SWB (incl must have awning!).

Weight wise I would say T30 is more than adequate. I was toying with a T28 as they had one in stock but my conversion guy talked me out of it as he thought we'd be close.... the Cali bed and the SCA roof I think are heavier than others??? Anyway I expect mines prob about 2.8t fully packed up and loaded.

Yep, this is another contentious issue, it's all down to the owner. Me I prefer a vehicle not near it's max weight, as it handles better, and my furniture is more robust and less lightweight designed. The other point is that how much attention do you think the insurance company is going to pay when you say you've been given x points for being overloaded ? (Hopefully never happens, but you never know). Hire a camper and pack it up, visit a weigh bridge and KNOW how much head room you have left, then enjoy a weekend away in it to see how you find the layout etc as this will give you a good insight. The last thing with having a good safety margin on the weight, apart from the better handling and performance, is you can change your carrying list with no worries. Apart from all of that Enjoy the process, oh and listen to the wife on the subject :thumbsup::whistle::whistle::D:rofl::rofl:

That's good advice on the weighbride.....keep meaning to take mine up to the local quarry

Does anyone know what the calis are ? T30 or T32
???
Why do most of the conversion company's spend all that money and effort on converting T28 s ???

I know this but for a couple of grand more I don't get it .
Maybe a t 28 is enough!
What are the Californias ?

Some of the bigger conversion companies offer a base price with a base van spec (e.g. T28 102BHP trendline) and then offer "upgrades" if you want more payload, more grunt, better trim levels etc.
Not sure what the Californias are.

T32 is the next class mot as well so makes sense that calis are a t30 .
So I will be looking out for a T30 then .
Anyone knows which engine is the best all rounder ?
I know 102 ps is very fuel efficient as I have had a 2007 t5 .
For a camper does anyone recommend 140ps for every day driving with some long trips thrown in every now and again or is the extra power just going to be to thirsty for short trips ( in and out of town wife going to work etc ) ????

I went for the 140 as I wanted the 6 speed gearbox and 102ps comes with a 5 speed.
I wouldn't imagine that the 140 was much different on fuel than the 102...

For me the power of the engine is dependent upon the weight of the vehicle. If you have a van that is close to it's max load, then you don't want the smallest power output going. It makes it self defeating as the engine is having to work a lot harder to shift the weight, which can then add to the stress and strain of the components as well as burn up the fuel. It all depends upon where you are going to do the motoring. The 2.0l lump with a low output will be fine if cruising along the motorways of the UK and Europe. However, if you intend to take the scenic options then an ecu that can give a higher output will be better.
I once had an A6 with the lowest output, and it drank fuel like it was an alcoholic. Swapped it for one with a higher output and the fuel efficiency increased as the engine was not working as hard to move the weight of the vehicle.
Just my two penneth worth, no doubt there will be others that disagree.

It's all good to hear everyone's opinions.
My 180 4motion on average around town is doing 28 mpg ,have had it up to 31 mpg on a longer trip of 80 miles . Around 550 / 580miles to a tank I think .
Was so use to my 102 doing mid 35 mpg upwards .
I know that dsg and 4 motion adds a lot of extra weight so mpg is going to be less .

@Bearreds just to throw another spanner in the works..... T32 is the same MOT class as a T28/T30 when the logbook is changed to camper on V5, but still retains the cheaper N1 road fund licence!

That's is a good spanner in the works !! Maybe !!
Now what do I do , :confused: !!!
already have a T6 t32 180ps 4motion lwb for work.
I was thinking it would make a great conversion when I bought it last year .
But my wife thinks she wouldn't like the lwb as she will be driving it every day .
I love it

Back