My T6 spec - work in progress

@StudleyGlass ,not sure my 204 is that good on fuel ,I had to look under the bonnet to see if it had an R32 v6 sat there only got 350 miles out of £70 last week thought that was shite .

R32 that would be nice :)

Ok are stand corrected then there both crap! The biggest difference i notice was the power form the 140 i had , it goes much better, how is the 204 compared to the 180 then? must be why there thirsty. Hopefully a update on the map will help make it run more economical.

Last edited:

Ok are stand corrected then the both crap! The biggest difference i notice was the power form the 140 i had , it goes much better, how is the 204 compared to the 180 then? must be why there thirsty. Hopefully a update on the map will help make it run more economical.
But would you get a remap while it's still it's warranty period? Maybe a plug in obd map but not a ecu flash maybe

Ok are stand corrected then the both crap! The biggest difference i notice was the power form the 140 i had , it goes much better, how is the 204 compared to the 180 then? must be why there thirsty. Hopefully a update on the map will help make it run more economical.
Odd times ,it's shows 35-37 but then down to 25-27 ,will wait and see if it improves.
You can definitely notice the power difference from the 180 ,you can't set off out of a junction fast with out it spinning ,traction control light flashing away .
Acceleration is quick .

But would you get a remap while it's still it's warranty period? Maybe a plug in obd map but not a ecu flash maybe

Well im hoping vw will do a update as when i spoke to the rep last week i could tell by his face he agreed but was careful what he said :unsure:

Odd times ,it's shows 35-37 but then down to 25-27 ,will wait and see if it improves.
You can definitely notice the power difference from the 180 ,you can't set off out of a junction fast with out it spinning ,traction control light flashing away .
Acceleration is quick .

I am getting low 30 + mpg to and from factory and i have had 38 + mpg on a run so far. Still not doe 2000 miles yet, it will be 3 months old soon.

Getting 2mpg less than the MFD on a 140. I have brimmed the tank twice when filling up the last two times, 34mpg and 35mpg, not far off 600 miles for a tank full.

Getting 2mpg less than the MFD on a 140. I have brimmed the tank twice when filling up the last two times, 34mpg and 35mpg, not far off 600 miles for a tank full.
500 to a tank would be nice

On my last tank full it calculated out to 25.2 mpg, but that is only short journeys. but only getting 380miles out of a tank full is poor, got used to a 100L tank on the Touareg...

Last edited:
Hmm so if it's useless, how come in the real world test on snow & ice the button got the vehicle moving? I think there is more to the system than is understood by most. If I was in the market, I'd have it as a just in case, but then that's just me, I think my defender is crap, and want a "proper 4x4" namely a Unimog! But again, that's just me:uh run:

I had to do a site inspection with the woodland trust today with some trees we planted a couple of years back, I half expected to use Diff Lock coming back up the hill but on the M&S rated 17" cargo vectors from the factory I made it back up the muddy slope with only a little wheel slippage.

Is it going to break the bank getting the Diff Lock? If not just get it as it only need to be used once to be worth having in my eyes.

I had to do a site inspection with the woodland trust today with some trees we planted a couple of years back, I half expected to use Diff Lock coming back up the hill but on the M&S rated 17" cargo vectors from the factory I made it back up the muddy slope with only a little wheel slippage.

Is it going to break the bank getting the Diff Lock? If not just get it as it only need to be used once to be worth having in my eyes.
£445 = no brainer

On my last tank full it calculated out to 25.2 mpg, but that is only short journeys. but only getting 380miles out of a tank full is poor, got used to a 100L tank on the Touareg...
This is probably a daft question @Loz but with two sizes of tank available is your bus set up correctly for the size you have? Of course if the figures for mpg are off the MFD I would expect a flow meter to be involved so should be right, especially as you are not saying that there is a serious discrepancy between tank-to-tank calculations to check the MFD figures. Sounds like a VW Dealer and possibly a VW Technical investigation is warranted for such a degree of high consumption. Just my non-techie take on the issue

This is probably a daft question @Loz but with two sizes of tank available is your bus set up correctly for the size you have? Of course if the figures for mpg are off the MFD I would expect a flow meter to be involved so should be right, especially as you are not saying that there is a serious discrepancy between tank-to-tank calculations to check the MFD figures. Sounds like a VW Dealer and possibly a VW Technical investigation is warranted for such a degree of high consumption. Just my non-techie take on the issue
It was calculated from liters filled at the pump and miles covered on the trip since last brimmed, speedo is within 1mph according to the gps so should be pretty close. I got 60litres in with the gauge just above the red so I assume the red is 10L so I'm guessing I have a 70L tank..

@Loz I agree, sounds like the 70 litre standard tank that is fitted to Euro6 vehicles so I guess a visit to the VW Dealer is the next step if there is no improvement, especially given the accuracy of your speedo against GPS.

Last edited:
@Loz , I expect that your aware, but if not.. There's a thread on the forum where a member has had an EGR valve fault/issue, when it was replaced the mpg shot up for the better, and he then had to go in for a software update to the EGR valve system. Might be worth a trip to the dealer to check software/EGR valve? Good luck, and please keep us posted on this :thumbsup:

I think that it's a case closed situation with the diff lock, given the real world situations where it has been of use as intended, so I would say if you can afford the £445 then it makes sense, as otherwise what's the point of only having a "lesser" spec of 4x4? As has been stated, it only needs that one time to justify itself, and if you have left it off, then you will probably be kicking yourself. :thumbsup:;):whistle::whistle::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Yeah I agree diff lock will be added and apologies to those without it on 4motion but I think it's worth it.

So back to my list swb and lwb.... I'm gonna need to retest drive them I think. What is good is hearing about experiences where the lwb is better at camping than swb. I'd be looking at pop tops and awnings so is a lwb needed considering you would have this extra space. As mentioned somewhere all the drawers Ina swb are underneath the bed but solution is to put wha you need on driver seat in Tupperware. For everyday getting about swb would be easier and looking at coilover kits would be less likely to bottom out over things. My kids are 4 month and 4 year old so who knows if 4 years time I might go lwb if I find it's worth it as this is to see if we would actually use it much.

204 vs 150 sounds like mpg are bad in both but get better every 1000 miles or so.
I am tempted with the 204 as with 4motion and swb would be a bit of a rocket for a transporter.

Great help everyone good to hear some views and the debate on the diff lock has been interesting. Real world testing however is the king in this one.

I get about the same, only 22 miles to and from work. I've been getting about 350-400 out of a tank. I've not been very scientific just a assumption using what I've covered, compared with the range left. My speedo is around 3-4 mph difference from the GPS, (Nextbase 402G with digital readout)

Great spec , I am also looking to get a kombi to convert but not sure what pay load , engine size and wheel base to get to have the perfect camper .
Thinking that the t30 140ps Euro 5 swb is the way to go. (Also needs to be my wife's daily vehicle)
My t32 180 4motion seems thursty , is the the engine that's drinks the fuel or the 4 wheel drive ?
Does anyone know if the Euro 5 140 is much more fuel efficient than the euro 6 150 ?
Mark

@Bearreds , I'd go for a T32 lwb, as once you have added all the camping bits etc, you are still 200kg spare over a T30, so you won't risk overloading etc. if you go to France they use portable scales on campers at the toll points, have seen campers unloading after having been given a fine. Then what do you do with the excess, leave it there or don't pass go? :thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistle::whistle:

Back