My T6 spec - work in progress

Keaney

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi I'm new to the forum and looking to make the move from caddy to transporter for work.

Plan will be to eventually convert to a camper (like most people probably)!

Here's my spec list which after looking about for a while I think is nearing completion please let me know if I've missed anything that should be considered or comment on anything:

T32 Highline Kombi
SWB
Manual
4 Motion
150ps I'm thinking

Options:
Indium Grey
Composition Media DAB+ radio with 6.33" touch
App-Connect
additional dust seal outside
LED Headlights with LED tail light
Wing mirrors heated and power folding
Differential Lock
Heated seats
Swivel Seats
Carpet flooring in cab
Bigger fuel tank if that's available - 80l
USB interfaces, two (for iPod/iPhone) and AUX-IN jack
Power latching for driver/passenger side sliding doors.
Power latching for tailgate

One thing which I can't see is he comfort dash in the new brochure.

Also slightly torn between 150 or 204 but thinking go 150 for economy and remap after warranty expiry haha

Thanks for your help

Hi keaney

Great spec list, one of the things I had to have was a lwb as the extra room in my camper is so nice.

Welcome to the forum
Cheers john

Hi @Keaney, I am not a T6 owner, nor will I be in all probability. However, here goes for a comment or two - you look to have a pretty impressive spec but I wonder why the SWB as space in a camper is normally at a premium. Is a VAT refund essential to the business purchase of your Kombi? If so there is very comprehensive advice on here about the 4Motion model, weight and VAT refunds, although you should be OK with your spec of the manual box. All that aside, welcome to the Forum where you will find a bunch of great people with comprehensive knowledge that they will willingly proffer if asked :D

Last edited:
Yeah I've test drove both a swb and lwb and compared the internal space you get extra. I am a newbie so maybe it's the wrong decision but the van would've used for my daily work commute and parking in office car parks.

I've compared the lwb to my car (A7) and it's not much longer but I do want to try get it into multi storeys should I need to and once lowered on air or coilovers my concern was that the lwb would bottom out at some places.

Good to hear your stories though as the swb and lwb has really been a deep thought haha

I was always toI'd bigger the engine the better. You will only remap the 150 to near the 204 output so why not just have the 204 in the first place. I would say the sub has a lot better turning circle and is a little more manoeuvreable in places. But f you're thinking of converting it to a camper Lwb is the way.

Welcome @Keaney Just a quick thing on the new euro 6 engines as there are few on here now with a few miles on and in general it looks like the 204 version is doing the best every one seems very happy with it and the fuel MPG considering its a bi-turbo. As for the 150ps which i have ,so far they are not returning good MPG for the engine size ( (30mpg short journeys ) If i had the extra funds i would have gone for the 204ps anyway.

@Keaney , welcome to the madhouse, let the fun begin!

Subject of LWB & SWB, LWB if camper/day van, as when someone is cooking, or sitting at the table etc the extra length, no matter how small makes a big difference! Ask the wife (ahem). Or open the hatch on SWB & LWB when parked next to each other, I have & there's A BIG difference in cubic space!

Subject of remap, go for the biggest engine you can afford, as a remap is a mod that you have to tell ins about, and they will charge extra for, as in their eyes the vehicle had been tuned, and think the brakes are lesser standard as wasn't an xx Bhp before.

In any case enjoy the forum, and the buying and ownership process :thumbsup::)

Last edited:
I am speccing up something not too dissimilar in this forum. Have a read up on whether you really need diff lock, a PDF tech explanation on another forum states quite clearly that electronic diff lock will even get you out of trouble if one front and one back wheel loose traction, which is where you might have normally used a mechanical one. Seems for harcore off roaders... Yeah I'm going twin turbo, got my 102 mapped to about 150/160 - still lacks - a 204 will give the average car a run for its money. And no way would I go SWB unless I was a regular city parker perhaps.

Oh yeah and multi stories, I have had my LWB impressively right to the top of some tight ones, only ever been caught out once on roof height slightly on the chain thing at a funny entry angle (50mm lowered + would be same for SWB). It's a small negative on the outside but a large positive on the inside.. Actually enjoy the challenge of manouvering the LWB up a multistorey. :sneaky: About as long as you want it without getting too uncomfortable.

Great advice everyone, without judging anyone I just thought if your getting 4motion then you have to have the diff lock otherwise go two wheel drive.

I originally wanted a lwb but my kids are still young so figured swb. Thinking with the awning on the side you would have loads of space but I've not had a camper before.

I really though the 150ps were doing better?

Had anyone bought from one of these fleet order companies they seem to get the kombi at a massive price difference compared to dealers?
Anything I should watch out for / horror stories?

Last edited:
Well I'd say no, it's a dynamic 4wd system that is always working in a number of ways, diff lock is an extreme get out of jail card:

Had an audi quattro, was like it was on rails and could feel the all over push. On my current T5 when pulling away quickly (especially if cold/damp) can get FWD slip and traction control kicks in, shouldn't happen on 4 motion - you'd just be off thanks to the back wheels kicking in.

In case you have not seen my comment in another build thread. I live in a rural area and my dealer supplies a lot of vans that are used extensively off road by fencers, forestry workers etc. He reckons the diff lock is not worth it and none of his customers order it. I also have a mate who runs a forestry business and tows an industrial chipper off road behind his T5 - 4motion yes, but diff lock no

My concern was going to things like goodwood or f1 where the ground can become terrible with rainfall and tractors pulling them out.

Also speaking to Grizz at Unit20 he highly advised go to get it if going off-road which I wouldn't do as crazy as he does but considering the extra cost seemed ok to add on

Well I'd say no, it's a dynamic 4wd system that is always working in a number of ways, diff lock is an extreme get out of jail card:

Had an audi quattro, was like it was on rails and could feel the all over push. On my current T5 when pulling away quickly (especially if cold/damp) can get FWD slip and traction control kicks in, shouldn't happen on 4 motion - you'd just be off thanks to the back wheels kicking in.
Agree diff lock is not really needed plus in the past disengaging has been an issue?
BTW yes 4motion with a bit of welly on a damp road launches like damn guided missile!

Daft suggestion, I know, why not drop one to VW and ask them their thoughts and reasons? You never know, you might get a discount, as they might have a stock that the want to fit to something :D:whistle::whistle: It must be available for a reason, maybe we are all missing it?:thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistle::whistle:

Also it seems even some modern land rovers/range rovers don't have a mechanical diff lock, read right at the bottom: BHCLRC - Diff Locks and electronic traction control explained

It seems in an exceptional circumstance it might be required. I highly doubt I'd need it if edl works propperly (FWD is good on most days) but like u say it's not gonna be an easy retro-fit.

Having read it in brief, thought has struck me,that if the brakes are applied to stop both wheels spinning on the front, then you are pushing against a front "handbrake"
This is where a centre "diff lock", and not an axle lock would come in, so you would not need to stop the front wheels to avoid the wasted effort going to the spinning wheels.

Having read the vw bit, it would seem I'm thinking right, as it does away with the front/rear axle speed compensation.

Not sure that I have explained what I'm thinking well, as suffering at the moment, as I say, worth looking into.:thumbsdown::thumbsup::whistle::whistle:

Last edited:
Cracking spec. :thumbsup: I got the 150, wish gone for 204. I would add the 'Heated windscreen washer nozzles with fluid level indicator'

Kev

Back