My local VW Vindis happy to lower with DCC

Thanks everyone.

I'll go in Thursday and see what happens, (and update you all after) even if it is loads higher I don't suppose they'll do anything other than try and flog me a 30mm lowering kit anyway. I honestly believe they think I'm crazy!!

Might see if I can dig some facts up about ride heights first, if I can hit them with a few facts they might take me more seriously.

Thanks everyone.

I'll go in Thursday and see what happens, (and update you all after) even if it is loads higher I don't suppose they'll do anything other than try and flog me a 30mm lowering kit anyway. I honestly believe they think I'm crazy!!

Might see if I can dig some facts up about ride heights first, if I can hit them with a few facts they might take me more seriously.
Surely, the main fact is that the brochure (both online, and paper), says if you spec up DCC your Vel/Cali will be lower by 20mm, and if you measure that against a non DCC Vel with similar loads, and that are the same(similar) heights, then yours does not have the lower springs. I know VW use coloured paint on the springs for load rating, I wonder if there are any identifying marks on the spring to show its height???
I would be mindful comparing yours to another Vel DCC in the dealers as that could also have the wrong springs.
There is certainly plenty of evidence that VW regularly build vans that are not to the correct spec.
I think if there is a parts issue, they stick anything on to keep the production line running, and deal with it later.

Reactions: DC.
Our T6 204 4Motion is lowered on the eibach springs on 20" Supermetal tridents with 275/35/20 tyres(I'm sure I've put pics up before, but here they are again)

2840D79B-09E9-4641-8D2A-DD495719C49E_zpshafpwdaf.jpg

75DE53A5-9C3F-4CBE-BA25-2F1B2873FFEF_zpsk79mefnw.jpg

7CC99512-5A65-48D0-BE00-6886182B6E43_zpsvdpv6cbv.jpg

3C839458-11EF-41B4-9480-962127E46E2D_zpsrjixn0hw.jpg

I prefer the ride of Bilstein B14 kit myself. I find that with DCC, with lowering springs, the steering weights up too much when turning in, when fitted with 20's - Obviously just my humble opinion. But the ride is great all round otherwise.

Surely, the main fact is that the brochure (both online, and paper), says if you spec up DCC your Vel/Cali will be lower by 20mm, and if you measure that against a non DCC Vel with similar loads, and that are the same(similar) heights, then yours does not have the lower springs. I know VW use coloured paint on the springs for load rating, I wonder if there are any identifying marks on the spring to show its height???
I would be mindful comparing yours to another Vel DCC in the dealers as that could also have the wrong springs.
There is certainly plenty of evidence that VW regularly build vans that are not to the correct spec.
I think if there is a parts issue, they stick anything on to keep the production line running, and deal with it later.
That's exactly it. If it's wrong.... it's wrong! But proving it is another thing. I need to track down an online catalogue that actually states this. I understand what your saying about comparing it but I'm a bit stuck really, I'm certainly no mechanic.

Our T6 204 4Motion is lowered on the eibach springs on 20" Supermetal tridents with 275/35/20 tyres(I'm sure I've put pics up before, but here they are again)

I prefer the ride of Bilstein B14 kit myself. I find that with DCC, with lowering springs, the steering weights up too much when turning in, when fitted with 20's - Obviously just my humble opinion. But the ride is great all round otherwise.
Are these the 30mm drop springs?

But proving it is another thing. I need to track down an online catalogue that actually states this.

I spent ages last night looking through the brochures etc and cant find it anywhere ! I know i have seen it in print somewhere but cant find the damn thing

I spent ages last night looking through the brochures etc and cant find it anywhere ! I know i have seen it in print somewhere but cant find the damn thing
Thanks Pauly! I'm self employed with a two year old and a 6 month old that's teething, so I get back from work and get handed a baby/toddler!!! Hehe! Must make time!! Thanks again

I've just tried to build a Vel on the VW commercial siteIMG_3457.JPG
And the Dynamic Suspension Body Lowering 20mm lowering is greying out for some reason,
I wonder if something has changed?

I would suspect you are probably one of a very few people in the UK who can directly compare the two systems from personal experience, so thats quite interesting. When you say lowering springs how low are you talking?

I've just tried to build a Vel on the VW commercial siteView attachment 5771
And the Dynamic Suspension Body Lowering 20mm lowering is greying out for some reason,
I wonder if something has changed?
Its greyed out because its already selected (prob due to being a requirement of DCC) ? or am i missing something

Its greyed out because its already selected (prob due to being a requirement of DCC) ? or am i missing something
Yes, thats how i thought it should work,
OK OK OK, just spent some time with the online caravel configurator and online brochure:-
If you look at the online Brochure a swb Vel SE it is 1970mm high
If you look at the Vel Exec it is 1950mm high, there is the missing 20mm
When you build an SE there is no DCC option, and there is no 20mm dynamic lowering option
When you build an Exec there is a DCC option, but the 20mm lowering is greyed out and ticked, because it is standard across all Exec's it is not a option to choose or delete you just get it, whether you like or not; and it has nothing to do with ticking the DCC option. This has defiantly changed since I ordered mine.
So a Gen Six is not an Exec with options, it is a Special Edition starting as an SE, with its own unique extras added. That is why it has DCC but no 20mm lowering, it is unique. I am not sure if this has always been so, but it looks like it is now.

Sorted, unfortunatly this may not be a battle that you will win with VW, however because they are so stupid(sometimes) and the dealers do not have a clue, and VW(UK) even less, go for it, and see how far you can get, you may get a 50% discount,

The question is do you want a 30mm or 50mm drop?????

Last edited:
Well Done @chriscroft that makes perfect sense...

I wonder what other variations there could be then, brake disc size or other possibly unique items...

I was told it is based on the Exec but nothing written down of course. I have to say I wasnt particularly bothered at first but now....

What I would love to do is get 20inch rims built the same design as Gen6 then drop it as far as it will go as I think that would look awesome

When you ran with DCC did you run it in Sport mode?, because I think the power assistance is reduced in sport mode, and combined with wider tyres 275's? and stiffer springs, it was just a tad heavy?? Just a thought

Well Done @chriscroft that makes perfect sense...

I wonder what other variations there could be then, brake disc size or other possibly unique items...

I was told it is based on the Exec but nothing written down of course. I have to say I wasnt particularly bothered at first but now....

What I would love to do is get 20inch rims built the same design as Gen6 then drop it as far as it will go as I think that would look awesome
It makes perfect sense BUT aren't ours still two different heights YET we've both got the exact same spec!!!!!? Aarrrrggghhhh!! Haha!

Yes, thats how i thought it should work,

OK OK OK, just spent some time with the online caravel configurator and online brochure:-
If you look at the online Brochure a swb Vel SE it is 1970mm high
If you look at the Vel Exec it is 1950mm high, there is the missing 20mm
When you build an SE there is no DCC option, and there is no 20mm dynamic lowering option
When you build an Exec there is a DCC option, but the 20mm lowering is greyed out because it is standard across all Exec's it is not a option to choose or delete you just get it where you like or not; and it has nothing to do with ticking the DCC option. This has defiantly changed since I ordered mine.
So a Gen Six is not an Exec with options, it is a Special Edition starting as an SE, with its own unique extras added. That is why it has DCC but no 20mm lowering, it is unique. I am not sure if this has always been so, but it looks like it is now.

Sorted, unfortunatly this may not be a battle that you will win with VW, however because they are so stupid(sometimes) and the dealers do not have a clue, and VW(UK) even less, go for it, and see how far you can get, you may get a 50% discount,

The question is do you want a 30mm or 50mm drop?????
Wow, thanks chriscroft, i very much appreciate the effort you have all gone too. I'm still confused by the fact that me and @New GEN6 Owner have the exact same spec but his is lower (I'm pretty sure that was what we found out the other day)....but think i need to just stop banging my head against a wall!!!!!

What drop would I like?....50mm 100% but I've been told by VW that, that would void my warranty so I guess for now it's 30mm or nothing

It makes perfect sense BUT aren't ours still two different heights YET we've both got the exact same spec!!!!!? Aarrrrggghhhh!! Haha!
I think we need to accept and put to bed the variances, I mentioned mine was on a slight slope, some vehicles site differently depending the last drive etc.....

OMG I'm sounding like a VW commercial salesman already.. Next i will be saying they can do 60 mpg

Yes I feel sure that at some time the spec has changed, Jan 2016, when I ordered mine (Vel Exec with loads of extras) and became a total expert(ish) on it all(most of which I have now forgotten):confused:, I feel sure that both the SE, EXEC, and Gen SIX, came with a 20mm drop if you specked up DCC. At some time it has changed, so if my theroy is correct, the Older Gen SIX Vels will have the 20mm drop, but the newer ones won't. But honestly you cannot tell with VW, they can alter specs at any time without prior notification (not just model year changes), and also if they ran out of short springs, they should could put standard springs on, and deal with it later. Who Knows what goes on in Wolfsburg, or where ever they are made.;)

Last edited:
Back