Multiple Engine Management Faults

I have just read this thread, cant believe I never seen it before!
Anyway my 150 Euro 6 Manual (which has just passed 10k) keeps throwing up the engine management light, both the engine shaped one and the pigs tail one, however they do not always come on at the same time. When the light comes on its usually under acceleration and the van then shudders, sometimes the light goes off as soon as you restart the engine and its fine, next time it can stay on for hours. There is also sometimes a lack of power and it keeps shuddering, like kangaroo petrol almost! But other times there is no loss of power at all. This has been happening since around March, there doesnt seem to be any pattern as to when it comes on either.

I thought it may have something to do with the DTUK chip that I have hence why I havent been in contact with VW yet, however I am thinking it may be a VW fault after reading this thread.
@steveo1986, if you are getting two lights then you may want to be aware of the contents of the VWCV leaflet on the DPF. I have photographed the two pages for you below.
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG

I have just read this thread, cant believe I never seen it before!
Anyway my 150 Euro 6 Manual (which has just passed 10k) keeps throwing up the engine management light, both the engine shaped one and the pigs tail one, however they do not always come on at the same time. When the light comes on its usually under acceleration and the van then shudders, sometimes the light goes off as soon as you restart the engine and its fine, next time it can stay on for hours. There is also sometimes a lack of power and it keeps shuddering, like kangaroo petrol almost! But other times there is no loss of power at all. This has been happening since around March, there doesnt seem to be any pattern as to when it comes on either.

I thought it may have something to do with the DTUK chip that I have hence why I havent been in contact with VW yet, however I am thinking it may be a VW fault after reading this thread.
It could be a VW problem @steveo1986, do you have access to VCDS so that you can check for fault codes? If not then you either put up with it or you go to VW for them to carry out diagnostic checking to see what, if any, faults have been recorded. Clearly, however, all is not right although it may be the regeneration kicking in but I wouldn't have thought it would give the symptoms that you describe :confused:

It could be a VW problem @steveo1986, do you have access to VCDS so that you can check for fault codes? If not then you either put up with it or you go to VW for them to carry out diagnostic checking to see what, if any, faults have been recorded. Clearly, however, all is not right although it may be the regeneration kicking in but I wouldn't have thought it would give the symptoms that you describe :confused:

A local garage has a VCDS so I will get it plugged in there first and see what fault codes come up. I'm away to do 1000 miles next week but won't have time to drop in past the nearest VW commercial centre before I go. Let's hope it behaves o_O

A local garage has a VCDS so I will get it plugged in there first and see what fault codes come up. I'm away to do 1000 miles next week but won't have time to drop in past the nearest VW commercial centre before I go. Let's hope it behaves o_O
I'd call on the VW care line to come out and fix it if needs? But if you don't get it sorted before your trip, they won't cover the dpf? That could be expensive..

I'd call on the VW care line to come out and fix it if needs? But if you don't get it sorted before your trip, they won't cover the dpf? That could be expensive..

Do the VW Care line cover vehicles that are over 1 year old? As mine is a 16 plate I am not sure that I will be covered? Also where do you find the number for them?

Do the VW Care line cover vehicles that are over 1 year old? As mine is a 16 plate I am not sure that I will be covered? Also where do you find the number for them?

What breakdown cover is available on my vehicle?

All new Commercial Vehicles, Caravelles and Californias supplied by the Volkswagen UK network receive 3 years, unlimited mileage, Volkswagen Roadside within the UK and Europe. For more information please read our Roadside Assistance handbook or view our Volkswagen Roadside Assistance page.

0800 777 172.

For more information please read our Roadside Assistance handbook or view our
Volkswagen Roadside Assistance page

0800 777172. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. For more information please read our Roadside Assistance handbook or view our Volkswagen Roadside Assistance page.

What breakdown cover is available on my vehicle?

All new Commercial Vehicles, Caravelles and Californias supplied by the Volkswagen UK network receive 3 years, unlimited mileage, Volkswagen Roadside within the UK and Europe. For more information please read our Roadside Assistance handbook or view our Volkswagen Roadside Assistance page.

0800 777 172.

For more information please read our Roadside Assistance handbook or view our
Volkswagen Roadside Assistance page

0800 777172. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. For more information please read our Roadside Assistance handbook or view our Volkswagen Roadside Assistance page.

Nice one thanks @T6 Dave :)

No problems, let us know how you get on.. Might be worth looking at a VCDS unit at some stage..

So it turns out that my faults are coming from the DTUK box. The engine management light came on again as I made my way down to Absolut5 so I asked them to plug in the T6 to see the error codes. Mainly Mass Airflow sensor and EGR faults came up, and lots of them. I unplugged the tuning box for the 500 odd mile journey home and had no issues at all!

I have a Oct 2016 Euro 6 t6 150 DSG and have not had the engine warning light on at all..................I went into the local VW dealer and asked to check if there was a recall or software upgrade to do with all the above and he checked ELSA?? the VW system. There are no outstanding recall issues for my vehicle ................confused I am!

I have a Oct 2016 Euro 6 t6 150 DSG and have not had the engine warning light on at all..................I went into the local VW dealer and asked to check if there was a recall or software upgrade to do with all the above and he checked ELSA?? the VW system. There are no outstanding recall issues for my vehicle ................confused I am!

Mine is also October 2016 and no software update acceptable for mine.
My first engine light didn't come on until after 10k miles.

So @Clarence has done around 14k miles, and has had the dreaded engine management light come on. We've also had the DPF filter light following that, but a run down the local bypass has sorted that one out :)

The codes we've had are (from Carista) :

ABS - 00397 - Display test, blue segments
Engine - 23910 - Manufacturer-specific code
Engine - 32855 - Manufacturer-specific code

I've not been able to find anything out on Google, and the local dealership doesn't recognise the codes, so we're going in this afternoon to plug it in and get them scanned & checked! We're booked in for a service in a week anyway, but we're looking on doing a long drive tomorrow and don't want to risk getting stranded...

Edit: back from the dealers and apparently the issue is with the DPF differential pressure sensor... it needs a new one, but is okay in the meantime!

Last edited:
@redvers safe journey tomorro, wise precautionary check, but make sure that you have with you the VW Roadside Assistance number quoted in a post further up on this page of the thread just in case :thumbsup::thumbsup::whistle:

@redvers safe journey tomorro, wise precautionary check, but make sure that you have with you the VW Roadside Assistance number quoted in a post further up on this page of the thread just in case :thumbsup::thumbsup::whistle:

Will do, considered calling them today but more convenient to pop out to garage rather than sit waiting at home :)

Back