Multiple Engine Management Faults

I had a software update yesterday to cure over sensitive emissions lights coming on; related to this at all?

I know that three EGR valves and a new ECU later on my T5.1 180, they finally realised the newer EGR valves needed a software update.

But by then we'd decided to move it on anyway.

Can't believe it, just had the FO on the phone and,
It looks like I won't be getting anymore out of VW as FO thinks the shite offer of two and a half months is along the lines of what they should offer.
So I said, first off, surly my monthly payments are a given return as I didn't have the van for that time anyway so I haven't been getting what I pay for. If I wanted a car I would pay for a car and secondly, I don't think I should pay what we did to be a test pig for a new system or we could of had a second hand van for less and had no issues or you expect issues with a second hand one not a brand new one.
Also we didn't have it for that period anyway so why should we have to pay the monthly payments? So looks like the only compensation is a halfs months payment for the period with out the van, so around £200 in total.
So he will talk to VW again to see what they think. So I expect that's it. f***ers going to get away with it.

Keep the faith @Twoguns.

Just check the paperwork as I don't believe the FO raising it with VW precludes you going to Small Claims and Trading Standards in the event that you are not satisfied with VW's offer.

Remember too that if you are purchasing the vehicle on HP then the offer would seem more reasonable however, you are leasing the vehicle as I recall and their argument will turn around on the fact that although you were provided with a replacement vehicle they are forgiving you the lease payment.

Your counter should be that although you were provided with a replacement you were unable to enjoy the use of your vehicle and after its second failure you were never in possession of a reliable and dependable vehicle as your own. In your opinion their offer is not reasonable and neither does it compensate you for the loss of the exclusive use of the vehicle nor the time and trouble that the continual lack of reliability and breakdowns has caused you.

Hope that this helps and you may wish to phone the FO to hold off talking to VW until he receives an email documenting the reasons for rejecting their initial offer and standpoint to the FO.

@Twoguns it has been pointed out to me that VW UK are the importer and only have rectification responsibility as VW Germany is the manufacturer and are responsible for defective manufacture.

You should advise the FO that VW UK should consult with VW Germany about revising both their position and offer. It is also open to you to complain to HQ VW Germany about the treatment that you have had from VW UK and that the VW brand image is being severely damaged as a result.

Sorry that this has become a bitty response but I really am disappointed by VW UK's response to what has clearly been a disastrous situation that you have faced with little to no sympathy from the VW UK chain who have been confounded by the issue for some months.

@Twoguns it has been pointed out to me that VW UK are the importer and only have rectification responsibility as VW Germany is the manufacturer and are responsible for defective manufacture.

You should advise the FO that VW UK should consult with VW Germany about revising both their position and offer. It is also open to you to complain to HQ VW Germany about the treatment that you have had from VW UK and that the VW brand image is being severely damaged as a result.

Sorry that this has become a bitty response but I really am disappointed by VW UK's response to what has clearly been a disastrous situation that you have faced with little to no sympathy from the VW UK chain who have been confounded by the issue for some months.

I've had the final decision from the FO and they are siding with VW.

Basically they say because they supplied courtesy cars, carried out the repairs and my monthly payments back plus 50% they think it's a fair offer.
So for now I think I've had enough of it all and will take the shite offer and get on with life as I can't be arsed to take it any further with anyone else as the likely out come will be the same. I always had a feeling VW would of done the bear minimum to cover their arse's.
So I'll get on with it and will not be lining VW pockets in the future with any more of their vehicles. It's a shame as my last few cars have all been VW from my wife's current UP to a Mk4 R32 and a few normal Golfs in between.

@Twoguns I'm disgusted with VW's position and offer but I can't say that I'm surprised by their refusal to budge because that is the big corporation versus the individual. I understand completely the daunting prospect of taking it further so I understand that you have had enough.

However, I would consider writing a letter to Customer Services at HQ VW Germany complaining about the treatment that you have Received and how it has severely damaged the VW Brand for many others that have followed this.

After that, forget it, move on and don't be another VW Customer if that is how you feel.

@Twoguns I'm disgusted with VW's position and offer but I can't say that I'm surprised by their refusal to budge because that is the big corporation versus the individual. I understand completely the daunting prospect of taking it further so I understand that you have had enough.

However, I would consider writing a letter to Customer Services at HQ VW Germany complaining about the treatment that you have Received and how it has severely damaged the VW Brand for many others that have followed this.

After that, forget it, move on and don't be another VW Customer if that is how you feel.
Cheers @T6 Dave's Dad but I don't think I will bother as I really don't think they care anymore. People keep buying their vehicles including me, even after the massive Emissions scandal so what difference will my little letter make?

@Twoguns, really sorry to read all of this brother; I'm disgusted for you. I'd love to sit here and tell you to properly stick it to them etc etc, however can totally understand how the fight has ebbed out of you. Have to agree that VW don't give two F's about us, who are the mugs at the end of the day, the emissions scandal has not even come close to tarnishing them, hence why we have new members on here daily overjoyed at the order of their new VW van. We are the fools at the end of the day and as you say keep lining their pockets despite having you lay all of this damming evidence before our very eyes, and the really sickening part - you won't be the last person to be bent over by VW in this next scandal of adblue E6 engines, but they won't blink an eyelid or lose a moment of sleep over it.
So, yes, move on, enjoy it now that it is working and then when it is time to hand it back to the lease company (as unfortunately that may be the next fight) drive it straight up the alimentary canal of the fat w****r that heads VWCV UK, reverse, then ram it home even harder for maximum effect and penetration.

Update:-

It's back on again !!!!!!

No cruise control involvement this time though, 10,000 miles before it came back on and now its twice in 500 miles.

This van will definitely be sold on before its warranty runs out or maybe before.

If I do decide to trade it in I will put the registration on here with a caveat emptor warning :D

Update:-

It's back on again !!!!!!

No cruise control involvement this time though, 10,000 miles before it came back on and now its twice in 500 miles.

This van will definitely be sold on before its warranty runs out or maybe before.

If I do decide to trade it in I will put the registration on here with a caveat emptor warning :D

Oh mate.........gutted for you! WTF........I'd like to think VW would pull out all the stops now, but somehow I doubt it! I know you have to be careful what you put on the internet......but I'd certainly publicise the reg........and I'd want to tell VW I was doing it too!! I know you're worn out with the whole thing and you've tried all sorts......but have you thought of sitting outside the dealer with a sign on your van warning people to think twice about buying a VW? You probably have so sorry if it's a stupid idea! What a bunch of f*cking ars*holes! :mad:

The only saving grace is that even with the light on it still works!!! So it's still earning its keep. If this was my personal vehicle it would have been moved on by now.

I should really keep chasing the main dealership but I can't be arsed to waste any of my free time going back and fourth.

On the plus side to all suffering these issues if you had a transit custom that would go into full limp mode with the light on and leave you stranded, ours only lasted 23 months before moved on, this is we reason we switched to Vw for a bit of that German reliability!!!!! I suppose at least one of them works.

If only I could find a delivery mileage 2011 Vauxhall vivaro :D

The only saving grace is that even with the light on it still works!!! So it's still earning its keep. If this was my personal vehicle it would have been moved on by now.

I should really keep chasing the main dealership but I can't be arsed to waste any of my free time going back and fourth.

On the plus side to all suffering these issues if you had a transit custom that would go into full limp mode with the light on and leave you stranded, ours only lasted 23 months before moved on, this is we reason we switched to Vw for a bit of that German reliability!!!!! I suppose at least one of them works.

If only I could find a delivery mileage 2011 Vauxhall vivaro :D
Have you had the EGR replaced? That was the last thing I had done that seems to have stopped the alarms.

i am with you on the old vivaro. I had a custom as well after 12 years of vauxhalls and renaults i should of never changed but was worried about the small engine. i have now driven one and will be going back at the end of the vw lease.

@Twoguns , have requested they check for any updates to hardware or software when it goes for a service, so who knows!!!

@Keeff, I have heard whispers of a Vito sport x 2017 model appearing in the next few months so if that's any good the white van will get traded for one of them, if they are not that good I will definitely take a new vivaro for a test drive.

17300 miles and the engine light is back on again. 3rd time now since 9000k.

Everytime it happens i have been on cruise control for 20mins or so at 70mph and its doing a passive regen at this time and it comes on.

Ill just reset it and expect it to return in around 2-3k miles time.

I simply can't handle this anymore, I expected SO much more from the spec's in the brochure, the test drive we had won me over with that engine and my previous 5+ years of VW ownership, but . . . . that's it folks, I'm gone, out, bye bye - sad to say but our striking red/ white Gen 6 is with us no longer and yes we lost a f****** bucket load thanks to VW's inability to support it's products or customers.

Don't know how warranty works in other countries, but in Australia if the product has a major fault by law the manufacturer must replace or refund. Now a product that fails to perform it's most basic operation 3 times in 9 months (that is to be driven) falls under a major fault in my book where the manufacturer doesn't actually fix the underlying problem (just changes the software so it doesn't happen 'as often') . . . but VW simply declare EVERYTHING (except an engine actually exploding onto 1,000 pieces) as a minor fault . . . so they don't have to refund or replace, just continue to have an ongoing repair/fix under warranty policy. Crafty like that they are (as I assume all other car manufacturers are?).

So just 11 months ownership 3 engine failures, no actual fix of the underlying problem and VW Australia simply not providing warranty on the engine/ exhaust issues past the factory warranty period - I have decided to sadly cut my losses (which are large) and hand over this lemon to someone else.

As your aware by this thread, VW have implemented a recall (oh they don't like calling it that, they prefer product update) changed the software to remove the warning light/ sensor kicking in so low - no actual hardware changes . . . . so when that TDi450 engine pumping out those emissions into the overworked exhaust & fills it up with crap - that then packs it in and requires a complete change I'm left footing the whole bill. Cheers VW.

We had to say goodbye to our much loved Red/ White Gen 6, it was forced upon us as we just lost ALL faith in the ability to drive any distance without failure. How can we take the family car on 3000km round trip holiday - god forbid outside a towing area!!! It already spent one set of holidays in the dealership.

So what did we do - gulp, we had to get rid of it and flush a load of $$ away - bought a 1yr old Mercedes V250 with 14K on the clock, 2yr factory warranty (plus 1 more extended) . . . yes it had a few knicks in the bumper and interior - but I have 3 kids so it's bound to happen anyway.
It's a different vehicle to the Gen 6 and one we did look at but couldn't afford new, but (close your ears people) it is the one you should have bought too. Yes budget and costs are always a factor, but so is quality and reliability. Our V250 hasn't failed yet or required towing, so I think we are sort of ahead in ownership experience already after 2 months.

I don't want this to be a VW bash, more of a reminder how bad they are in this whole engine/ emission/ exhaust saga for us, the customer that paid good $$ for a product expecting SO much more than VW have delivered in terms of reliability. They gave us an upgraded engine without properly testing the emissions is produces against the exhaust system they fitted - now they realise - instead of replacing the WHOLE exhaust system with a new model that handles the emissions, they are attempting to fob it off under a patch. That hasn't worked.
There is no customer service here, just lip service to keep sending the car back to the dealer for repair until the warranty runs out and it's no longer their problem! I can say this now without fear of reprisal from VW as I don't have a car they need to keep fixing.
As my kids tell me 'search your feelings as you know it to be true', lol

Our lovely Red/ Candy White two tone Gen 6 with shinny retro combi wheels was a head turner and will forever hold a special place in our hearts:
- We miss the massive shove of the Gen 6 off the line, but not the wheel tramp and spin or turbo lag.
- We miss the large sat nav, easy to use touch screen and such comfy front seats.
- We miss the rear (small) opening windows, but not the manual opening boot that you can't access unless all the way up.
- We miss the fact the older kids can't stand up straight, but not the fact we couldn't get into the local shopping centre with a low roof height.
- Most of all we miss that $25k it cost us to move out of a faulty product that we lost complete faith in as the manufacturer themselves would not support or back (past the obvious mandatory warranty).

So swings and roundabouts moving on, but one thing remains and that's the sour taste VW have left in our mouth then it comes to customer service and supporting the product they sell. I really do think VW have a theory they make 1,000 vehicles and just accept 2 are complete duds/lemons - sucks to be one of those 2 like we were I can assure you.

Good luck to you all sticking with it . . . I really do hope they actually sort the engine and emission issues for you all, but suspect that will be T7 stuff now in 5 years.
Dibbo

I simply can't handle this anymore, I expected SO much more from the spec's in the brochure, the test drive we had won me over with that engine and my previous 5+ years of VW ownership, but . . . . that's it folks, I'm gone, out, bye bye - sad to say but our striking red/ white Gen 6 is with us no longer and yes we lost a f****** bucket load thanks to VW's inability to support it's products or customers.

Don't know how warranty works in other countries, but in Australia if the product has a major fault by law the manufacturer must replace or refund. Now a product that fails to perform it's most basic operation 3 times in 9 months (that is to be driven) falls under a major fault in my book where the manufacturer doesn't actually fix the underlying problem (just changes the software so it doesn't happen 'as often') . . . but VW simply declare EVERYTHING (except an engine actually exploding onto 1,000 pieces) as a minor fault . . . so they don't have to refund or replace, just continue to have an ongoing repair/fix under warranty policy. Crafty like that they are (as I assume all other car manufacturers are?).

So just 11 months ownership 3 engine failures, no actual fix of the underlying problem and VW Australia simply not providing warranty on the engine/ exhaust issues past the factory warranty period - I have decided to sadly cut my losses (which are large) and hand over this lemon to someone else.

As your aware by this thread, VW have implemented a recall (oh they don't like calling it that, they prefer product update) changed the software to remove the warning light/ sensor kicking in so low - no actual hardware changes . . . . so when that TDi450 engine pumping out those emissions into the overworked exhaust & fills it up with crap - that then packs it in and requires a complete change I'm left footing the whole bill. Cheers VW.

We had to say goodbye to our much loved Red/ White Gen 6, it was forced upon us as we just lost ALL faith in the ability to drive any distance without failure. How can we take the family car on 3000km round trip holiday - god forbid outside a towing area!!! It already spent one set of holidays in the dealership.

So what did we do - gulp, we had to get rid of it and flush a load of $$ away - bought a 1yr old Mercedes V250 with 14K on the clock, 2yr factory warranty (plus 1 more extended) . . . yes it had a few knicks in the bumper and interior - but I have 3 kids so it's bound to happen anyway.
It's a different vehicle to the Gen 6 and one we did look at but couldn't afford new, but (close your ears people) it is the one you should have bought too. Yes budget and costs are always a factor, but so is quality and reliability. Our V250 hasn't failed yet or required towing, so I think we are sort of ahead in ownership experience already after 2 months.

I don't want this to be a VW bash, more of a reminder how bad they are in this whole engine/ emission/ exhaust saga for us, the customer that paid good $$ for a product expecting SO much more than VW have delivered in terms of reliability. They gave us an upgraded engine without properly testing the emissions is produces against the exhaust system they fitted - now they realise - instead of replacing the WHOLE exhaust system with a new model that handles the emissions, they are attempting to fob it off under a patch. That hasn't worked.
There is no customer service here, just lip service to keep sending the car back to the dealer for repair until the warranty runs out and it's no longer their problem! I can say this now without fear of reprisal from VW as I don't have a car they need to keep fixing.
As my kids tell me 'search your feelings as you know it to be true', lol

Our lovely Red/ Candy White two tone Gen 6 with shinny retro combi wheels was a head turner and will forever hold a special place in our hearts:
- We miss the massive shove of the Gen 6 off the line, but not the wheel tramp and spin or turbo lag.
- We miss the large sat nav, easy to use touch screen and such comfy front seats.
- We miss the rear (small) opening windows, but not the manual opening boot that you can't access unless all the way up.
- We miss the fact the older kids can't stand up straight, but not the fact we couldn't get into the local shopping centre with a low roof height.
- Most of all we miss that $25k it cost us to move out of a faulty product that we lost complete faith in as the manufacturer themselves would not support or back (past the obvious mandatory warranty).

So swings and roundabouts moving on, but one thing remains and that's the sour taste VW have left in our mouth then it comes to customer service and supporting the product they sell. I really do think VW have a theory they make 1,000 vehicles and just accept 2 are complete duds/lemons - sucks to be one of those 2 like we were I can assure you.

Good luck to you all sticking with it . . . I really do hope they actually sort the engine and emission issues for you all, but suspect that will be T7 stuff now in 5 years.
Dibbo
This is such sad news! They reckon that 1 in 700 vehicles produced are prone to faults and looks like this time it was you. So sorry this has become your VW story as there are so many good stories out there. Take care

Add another 150 to the list low looadrr booked

started with just engine light on she runs ok apart from engine judders when letting off throttle at 1900 rpm vw said be fine booked in to be fixed tuesday and today coil light flashing and getting start stop errors and reduced power.

20170806_124426.jpg

I flushed VW down the bog too. Won't be buying another VAG product until they show some contrition and start treating their customers like human beings. I bought a Toyota this time round. It's fantastic.

Back