Mud Flaps for tailgate vans... recommendations??

Nice one, I found a new set Caddy ones in the garage today whilst hunting for wheel bolt covers, could be a job for tomorrow!!
Hello Kingsway
What mud flaps did you end up fitting? How do the caddy one look and fit?
if your name is your location then I am just down the road.
Cheers
Dickie

Anyone got a uk supplier for these...I can only find chinese ones that take forever to arrive

Mine arrived within 9 days, and had a London address on the packaging, but the ad states they’re based in the Far East ..

F+R Mud Flap Splash Guard Fender Mudguard For 2016-2018 VW Caravelle T6 Multivan 710731537583 | eBay

Well, they arrived 9 days later.
The instructions are in German and refer to a BMW E38 (7 series)... but they fit fine, using the existing wheelarch plastic cover mounts.

I was going to upload some photos but they’re identical to @drays so here’s his post

Mud Flaps For Tail Gate

Hi All

I seem to have lost my passenger side front mid guard, I always thought they weren’t particularly well attached.

anyway which are the best? And what is the best way to fix any additional fixings etc

cheers

I removed the OEM rubber bolt that came with the OEM mudflaps, added a captive nut into the cill and bolted them up, far better fixing IMO

Good idea I’ve got a rivnut tool so I’ll try that just want to find the best shape / most mounting points version now

Our quest for the perfect tailgate mudflaps goes on!!!! Apart from screwing to the bodywork, I thought mudflaps were also there to help prevent stone chips to the bodywork, so why design them to fit leaving part of the bumper exposed??
Just wondering if you ever found the perfect ones. We have a T6 with tailgate and would prefer to have the Veedub style ones.

Just purchased genuine front and rear mud flaps for my T6, didn’t realise you have to drill the rear bumper to attach. Does anyone have any ideas if it is possible to get around drilling or is this a wasted purchase as I do not wish to start drilling holes in my new vehicle. Regards Ricky

You can always join as a VIP member and advertise them on the forum. I was put off by the very same reason. If you search the archives other members have found an alternate mudflap that fits the edge of the arch (rather than half way down the bumper) though I remember one person having trouble fitting them.

Welcome!
Regards
Ian

Hi, I ended up with the same dilemma. Purchased some from Travelinlite which use existing holes and fit really well.

More info here . . . .

I thought the same when I fitted a new rear bumper, I ended up drilling and haven’t lost any sleep over it.
The way I look at it is I’m never going to take the flaps off and get down on my knees to look at the bare holes.

I’ve just purchased a set of the moulded type a few others on here have got... they arrived this afternoon so not had chance to fit them yet. They didn’t come with any fitting instructions, but it looks pretty straightforward.

One question though - what are the small metal clips for (circled)? Has anyone else used these during fitting?

@Ayjay - did you get the same clips with yours?

7713B27D-1762-4636-8CC3-A55D28330448.jpeg

Last edited:
I very much agree with the above. I bought some rubber sheet which I cut to proper size. In the rear I had to give them a special cut to make them fit well and flat inside wheel well (see picture). For inner fixing point in rear there is a bolt at right spot, just made a L-shape fixture for the flap (in picture at two inner screws).

In front nothing special. Just made sure that there is enough space behind the plastic mudguard at fixing points.

As they are closer to the wheel as OEM there is slight risk that when backing up they get under the wheel (mainly because of snow up here). Because of that I used small screws (5x16mm) to fix them into plastic mudguard in wheel well. The idea to use small screws (without a nut on the other side) is that they will rip off relatively easily if the flaps get stuck under wheel. Well, never happened with my previous one or this one either.

Especially proud I am of the front ones. They prevent sand blast to lower front corner of the front door, and the front doorway stays free of dirt. The four fixing screws make the flap follow curve of wheel arc. When the door is closed they are almost unnoticeable – I’m happy with these. Actually with these OEM tyres the flaps could be narrower, these were “designed” for my winter which come further out by 20 mm.

The length of the flaps is a compromise... and matter of taste, of course.

Of course they would look better with a T6Forum-label on them… :)

1) Rear - right, 2) Front - right, 3) Front - right - door open
View attachment 9093 View attachment 9094 View attachment 9095

Best mud flaps that I have seen up to date by far. They look the business, tough and practical. I should imagine that the design, could easily be changed to provide greater protection from jettisoned stones, grit and crud. Far better then the OEM that I have on mine. they hardly achieve anything. In fact the rear set are curling.

I wonder, If a full width multiple split curtain, made from this material, suspended from the rear bumper. Might keep the rear door and window clean? Perhaps if they were allowed to flap back and forth. By suspending them from an across vehicle bar. Then they would remain in tact, when driving off road on deeply rutted tracks. They would move when hitting between axle rocks and not get dragged off.:)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mmi
I’ve just purchased a set of the moulded type a few others on here have got... they arrived this afternoon so not had chance to fit them yet. They didn’t come with any fitting instructions, but it looks pretty straightforward.

One question though - what are the small metal clips for (circled)? Has anyone else used these during fitting?

@Ayjay - did you get the same clips with yours?

View attachment 89828
I've fitted these on the rear and didn't use the clips. They're firmly on the van after a couple of thousand miles. I haven't done the front yet because it has OEMs on the front.

Mine came with the same clips but, like Dave, I didn't use them as I fixed to the existing holes only.

Back