Modded H7's

Gavinda

Plumber
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Finally got my modded H7's fitted in the van today.
I've fitted 3" projector lenses in to the low and high beam positions with H1 LED bulbs, also got rid of some chrome while I was in there. Beam cut off is very sharp, due to the shutter the low beam can also be used for high beam. Just waiting for darkness now to give them a proper test but even against the wall I used to set the beam cut off height the difference in light output is impressive to say the least.20210407_131421.jpg20210407_131359.jpg20210407_131132.jpg20210407_125025.jpg

Last edited:
Well done, looks very promising.
Any photos of the work inside of the lamps?
Overall cost?

Reactions: mmi
No pictures during as it was very experimental so didn't know how things would turn out, there's a good chance I'll be doing another set for a friend so I'll be sure to take some then. Cost wise around £100 - £30 for each pair of projectors and £20 per pair of bulbs.

So up to £150 per pair all in?
How did you open the headlamps?
Heat gun, oven?
And have you considered to use actual proper LED lens projectors?

No £100 per pair, £60 for 4 projectors and £40 for 4 bulbs. Tried using heat to open some sacrificial H4's both with a heat gun and a homemade oven contraption but the housing melts before the sealant so ended up using an oscillating multitool to cut them open, not bad to do at all and seals up very well. I did look at the all in one solution but seemed expensive and hard to find in RHD.

Not on Transporter but I have used these with amazing final results.

So have you got 4 dipped and 4 main beams, or are you just using the main beams on the inner lamps?

No, only 2 dipped beam on outer lights as usual for H7's but all 4 for high beam once I can get them coded to leave dipped on with high beam and also disable bulb warning. I removed the shutter altogether on inner lenses and outer lenses are wired to open shutter on full beam activation, can't wait for it to go dark now! Watch this space!
I suppose there's no reason why all 4 couldn't be used for dipped with some relays or other electrickery but I don't think the juice would be worth the squeeze judging by my initial impressions.

Last edited:
Can the H4’s be converted!
Absolutely! I did initially fit them in an H4, but came across some H7's cheap. The stumbling block is opening the light up, if you're happy to cut them open it's plain sailing from there. I should be doing some in the next few weeks so I'll make sure to take pictures or video along the way.

@Gavinda well done, also regarding the H4 headlight they could be altered just the same using the DRL reflector to mount the main beam projector and finding a new home for the DRL.

@Gavinda well done, also regarding the H4 headlight they could be altered just the same using the DRL reflector to mount the main beam projector and finding a new home for the DRL.
No reason why not, would need some modding of the internal wiring but certainly doable.

I have spare innards ready for an H7 upgrade, just failed to open them. PM me if anyone interested

What have so got spare? I want to do something similar to the Scirocco.

I bought a spare H4 to try and open, but heating didn't work as it seems to on other headlights. I tried cutting with a jigsaw, but there's a flange on the glass meaning that you can't get up close to the glass to cut, and take out about 4mm of the plastic housing, then of course, you hit the inside reflectors with the jigsaw rendering the thing useless anyway.

I did wonder about using a diamond disc in a grinder or a multi tool, but had lost interest by this point... :grin bounce: :rolleyes:

OP, great work on the H7s, I would be interested on how you got the H4s open.:thumbsup:

Back