T6.1 THQ V1 headlights a bit dull

Epic-Rob

Kiwi member
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So just fitted a nice new pr of THQ Drl lights in my 6.1. replacing the std lights that have THQ H7 LED in the dipped beam and std halogen in the beam
They look the part and all work as they should, so eagerly waiting for dark to go and try them out - but very underwhelmed at the light output,
on dipped there is a very distinct staggered line across the rd closer than i had with std lights (yes i did make sure the height adjuster wasn't low)
on high beam it does spread out a bit but is way too low for high beam and worse then the lighting from std lights.
I did spin the bulbs slightly but that really just moves a shadow round doesnt seem to increase the distance.

only thing i can think of is i need a headlight adjustment but it does say they are set at factory so you shouldn't need that

any suggestions on what the problem might be?

whilst i had bumper off i put some LED's in the driving lamps but they now seem a bit intermittent on cornering function and throw up an error on the dash

Dipped.jpg

High.jpg

Adjust them up a bit, drivers side in particular, look super low :thumbsup:

Reactions: CAB
They definitely want winding up a bit. They'll have adjuster screws on the back of the housing for up and down and left and right.

Whilst you're at it, fit a HID kit in the dipped beam. Many of us use them and find them to be much better than the LEDs, then swap your LEDs into the main beam lamps. Halogens loose performance behind projector lenses, so you won't be getting the best out of them.

Worth checking the levelling dial within the cab before messing with the headlights themselves - just in case that's set low. Having said that, from the photos, it looks as though the right might be set lower than the left? If so, it's almost certainly the alignment of the units themselves.

Reactions: CAB
Also, do the levelling motors work? It has been known for them to become detached.

So just fitted a nice new pr of THQ Drl lights in my 6.1. replacing the std lights that have THQ H7 LED in the dipped beam and std halogen in the beam
They look the part and all work as they should, so eagerly waiting for dark to go and try them out - but very underwhelmed at the light output,
on dipped there is a very distinct staggered line across the rd closer than i had with std lights (yes i did make sure the height adjuster wasn't low)
on high beam it does spread out a bit but is way too low for high beam and worse then the lighting from std lights.
I did spin the bulbs slightly but that really just moves a shadow round doesnt seem to increase the distance.

only thing i can think of is i need a headlight adjustment but it does say they are set at factory so you shouldn't need that

any suggestions on what the problem might be?

whilst i had bumper off i put some LED's in the driving lamps but they now seem a bit intermittent on cornering function and throw up an error on the dash

View attachment 180301

View attachment 180302
Hi there, I did the same thing recently and had the same issue. I drove to the local Halfords MOT centre and bunged the guy £20 and he happily spent 10 minutes of his lunch break looking at the lights, against his equipment. He told me " they're bang on mate, couldn't be better" (after a short fiddle with the near-side light).
I remarked that they look very low whilst driving and could the full-beam be adjusted up a little? Sadly that's not possible, as even with the projector headlights the high and low beam share adjustments.

Basically, have them checked but I reckon you will be told the same thing... It's an offense to have badly adjusted headlights (of course) so maybe the only solution is to fit additional lights to work when high beam is selected!

I will be interested to hear if another "solution" is found but I'm not keen on raising the lights if they are at the (legally) correct height.

Oh, the shadows cast by the shape of the LED lamp is also a pain, I messed about with mine but like you pointed out, it just moves the shadow!

PS: LED lamps fitted to high and low beams.
:)

I remarked that they look very low whilst driving and could the full-beam be adjusted up a little? Sadly that's not possible, as even with the projector headlights the high and low beam share adjustments.
The main and dipped beam are independently adjustable for both height and side to side. The up/down for the main beam is a bit hidden away at the bottom of the unit, but it is there.

I should make it clar i have H7 LED In both dipped and beam
and yes in cab adjuster does work as i checked that and set them to high.

can you get to adjuster without having to pull front off? didnt notice any adjusters when fitting.

3 off the 4 are pretty easy to get to, the up/down for high beam is tricky, but an inspection mirror will help you see it.

73C7B83F-5576-4358-A8B2-905DEE0C22E8.jpegD381676B-0898-497F-AEB2-D81CF70AD5F4.jpeg

The main and dipped beam are independently adjustable for both height and side to side. The up/down for the main beam is a bit hidden away at the bottom of the unit, but it is there.
Excellent, I'm pleased to be wrong in that case (only parroting what I was told by the guy checking the lights). Thanks for the heads up, I will try to raise the high beam up a little. :)

Hi,
Did these headlight shadow patterns ever get resolved by the adjusting the bulbs? , and could they be adjusted when fitted to van or does the bumper have to be removed?
Was thinking of getting these headlights as I personally find the current factory H7 headlights poor, but reading people are not fully happy, I’m on the fence now
Cheers

Hi,
Did these headlight shadow patterns ever get resolved by the adjusting the bulbs? , and could they be adjusted when fitted to van or does the bumper have to be removed?
Was thinking of getting these headlights as I personally find the current factory H7 headlights poor, but reading people are not fully happy, I’m on the fence now
Cheers
Well they look pretty nice and TBH i haven't actually night driven with van yet to fully appreciate them or comment from real time. i never seemed to be able to loose the shadow, just move it around, the LED bulbs are flat with lights on ether side, i do wonder why they dont have a more cylindrical bulb to maybe eliminate the shadow ?? some have suggester running HID bulbs in the dips and LED in main beam which could be a good option.
or just buy the LED bulbs and stick with std lights.

the LED bulbs are flat with lights on ether side, i do wonder why they dont have a more cylindrical bulb to maybe eliminate the shadow
Try these.

I bought a pair of these and they are much better than the standard design of a flat blade with an led opposed to each other. Not cheap but worth it

Back