Meant to have bought a van……

Many moons ago I put a deposit down on a boat. The bloke came back to me & said he’d had a better offer, I could either beat the new offer or have my deposit back, I took my deposit back. A couple of weeks later, he came back to me & said it was still available at the original price if I was still interested. I told him that I now didn’t have the original funds as I’d spent some of it, I bid him lower than the price we’d originally agreed & he accepted. Greed doesn’t always pay..

Not worth bothering with. A deposit paid should secure purchase if the seller was honourable.
Sounds like a chancer trying to make more money.
Get your deposit back and look elsewhere.
Totally heart wrenching when you've all looked forward to getting it.
I despair at human nature sometimes!:mad:

Never in the history of internet forums has a question been met with such a unanimous response.

Well done to this reprobate for uniting everyone.

In fact, this is so unprecedented, that maybe you should just give the guy the extra dough!

Maybe I should walk away from my dealer when he tells me the price has gone up on my new ordered van that i left a deposit for in March?! :rolleyes:

I wouldn’t pay a deposit for anything without a receipt, delivery date, price and contract.
I certainly wouldn’t pay a deposit for a private vehicle sale.

In these days of click and collect and next day delivery, I can't believe that people are happy to wait so long for a new van as well as having their pants pulled down in the process.

As others have said , deposit back , don’t loose any sleep over it , clearly not the van for you .
Onto the next one please
I viewed and tried to buy so many vans this year , I ended up with the total oppersite to what I originally went out to buy , what sold it for me ? , the seller was a genuine person and felt totally comfortable buying from him , 0 regrets on my purchase

As others have said , deposit back , don’t loose any sleep over it , clearly not the van for you .
Onto the next one please
I viewed and tried to buy so many vans this year , I ended up with the total oppersite to what I originally went out to buy , what sold it for me ? , the seller was a genuine person and felt totally comfortable buying from him , 0 regrets on my purchase
So, if he told you the van had been looked after, you might accept his opinion. I’m with you, it is about how much I trust the seller as it is anything else. This guy who is trying it on - I’d count my fingers if I shook hands with him!

Many moons ago I put a deposit down on a boat. The bloke came back to me & said he’d had a better offer, I could either beat the new offer or have my deposit back, I took my deposit back. A couple of weeks later, he came back to me & said it was still available at the original price if I was still interested. I told him that I now didn’t have the original funds as I’d spent some of it, I bid him lower than the price we’d originally agreed & he accepted. Greed doesn’t always pay..
True, but you still ended up with a boat and probably realised that the buying part was just the tip of the iceberg regarding costs!
If you value your savings, remember that you should steer well clear of anything that flies, floats or f***s!

True, but you still ended up with a boat and probably realised that the buying part was just the tip of the iceberg regarding costs!
If you value your savings, remember that you should steer well clear of anything that flies, floats or f***s!
Yeah, but I’ve had 4 more boats since then & been married 32 years, so I’m either a glutton for punishment or a good judge:whistle:

Yeah, but I’ve had 4 more boats since then & been married 32 years, so I’m either a glutton for punishment or a good judge:whistle:
No person in the history of boating or marital harmony ever used "had more boats", "married" and "good judge" in the same sentence!
I am truly convinced you are a magician! :think smile bounce:

I am feeling the need to create a new post entitled "Stuff I bought in the past before realising the investment opportunity of a VW!"

I could start with numerous boats, but it would be interesting to see who would be brave enough to post a picture of their kids/wife/ex-wife(s)!
:fast rofl:

Edit: Just to be clear; I didn't buy my wife or kids, but just ended up with them following judgment issues!

No person in the history of boating or marital harmony ever used "had more boats", "married" and "good judge" in the same sentence!
I am truly convinced you are a magician! :think smile bounce:

I am feeling the need to create a new post entitled "Stuff I bought in the past before realising the investment opportunity of a VW!"

I could start with numerous boats, but it would be interesting to see who would be brave enough to post a picture of their kids/wife/ex-wife(s)!
:fast rofl:

Edit: Just to be clear; I didn't buy my wife or kids, but just ended up with them following judgment issues!
I didn’t buy my wife or kids either…I got a PCP deal but the exit fees are a b*****d! I’m just waiting for a better model to come along and hope that the guaranteed future value can be used as a deposit!!!

I won't be. I've come this far and have a good deal so to actually walk away would cost me a lot lot more financially...but not mentally! :cry:

Technically he has entered into a contract with you and consideration has been paid in the shape of the deposit. You could pursue it as he would have no choice but to conclude the deal. However this may cost you more money to resolve which you can claim back as personal costs. Then again if you can’t be asked with all that then walk away as it would be simpler!

Back